The Basshead Club
Jun 6, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #6,526 of 11,286
So no one really recomends the O2 for bassheads then?

You're really selling the Digizoid ZO there Origonian lol. Is that the same as the ZO2? Oh wow and there are rumors of a ZO3?

Yeah I saw the list, but I know next to nothing about amps. Hearing about some personal experiences (of which im reading all over the forums) is super helpful for a noob like me :)

Yeah, you could say I like the ZO. I have three of them. :rolleyes:

Yes, they are all ZO2 - that's a model/version number. I heard the same rumor about a version 3.

Glad all the rambling is helpful. That's why we are here.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #6,527 of 11,286
Quote:
Yeah, you could say I like the ZO. I have three of them.
rolleyes.gif

Yes, they are all ZO2 - that's a model/version number. I heard the same rumor about a version 3.

Glad all the rambling is helpful. That's why we are here.

I have 4 ZO's, a ZO1, 2x ZO2.1 and ZO2.3, v2.1 is my fav ^_^ All your ZO are belong to me :D

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #6,528 of 11,286
Quote:

I have 4 ZO's, a ZO1, 2x ZO2.1 and ZO2.3, v2.1 is my fav ^_^ All your ZO are belong to me :D

Jeez man, between us we have the market cornered!  

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #6,530 of 11,286
Quote:
I can never pump enough juice through my ZO in a portable setup. Distortion comes fast. 

I know it's sacrilege, but have you ever tried the double amp setup as I've described?  Just curious as I cannot get it to distort paired with my BK or for that matter my E-11 in the past before it got too loud. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #6,531 of 11,286
Quote:
I know it's sacrilege, but have you ever tried the double amp setup as I've described?  Just curious as I cannot get it to distort paired with my BK or for that matter my E-11 in the past before it got too loud. 

So you would reccomend an amp plus the ZO2? If so i should really focus on the amp first as the bass I can -almost- get with my hardware is super rumbly and a bit distorted. If i had just a little more power I'm pretty sure I could get it to work without distortion and much more bass. Then I could pick up the ZO2 :p. Dat Q40 is kick'n. Oh and Voodoo on my phone acts as a +5db amp. Not much but its something.

Besides that, I see a lot of people run an amp into their ZO2 in the appreciation / info / mini review threads. Though I guess there are concerns with the bass turning muddy and overbearing with the ZO2. The extra amp fixes that?

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #6,532 of 11,286
Quote:
So you would reccomend an amp plus the ZO2? If so i should really focus on the amp first as the bass I can -almost- get with my hardware is super rumbly and a bit distorted. If i had just a little more power I'm pretty sure I could get it to work without distortion and much more bass. Then I could pick up the ZO2 :p. Dat Q40 is kick'n. Oh and Voodoo on my phone acts as a +5db amp. Not much but its something.

Besides that, I see a lot of people run an amp into their ZO2 in the appreciation / info / mini review threads. Though I guess there are concerns with the bass turning muddy and overbearing with the ZO2. The extra amp fixes that?

Yes, my opinion is running a decent amp into the ZO ends up giving you great depth of sound as well as the ability to tailor the bass to whatever thump level you want.  Somewhere in the ZO thread is the graph that shows the area each level of contour is impacted by the ZO.  It's pretty much mostly sub bass, especially as you get "redder" on the color contour levels. 

From my experience running the ZO as the second/last amp in the chain (and that's with an E-11, a BK, even a Magni desktop amp) there was never any mud when set up as the last piece and running on high gain with the first amp taking care of the volume. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #6,533 of 11,286
I haven't had problems with distortion or muddy bass but I run out of headphone port on the soundcard and the ZO's volume maxed (in case of ZO2.1 that has only one gain setting and is even a bit louder than ZO2.3 in high gain) and the Windows volume set to as low as 14% with Realtek onboard or 11% from a SoundBlaster ZxR card (ZxR card set to low gain) for example. The lower you put the source volume the more headroom and cleaner output signal before distortion kicks in. The source will act as a preamp and ZO a bit like an EQ. 

ZO was designed to run out of headphone ports in first place, I think it probably results in less distortion this way. If you always only used LOD with it (this is why double amping also helps) I'd also give it a try out of headphone port with the source volume set as low as possible that satisfies you, this is the optimal way to enjoy ZO or it was designed to be used that way, LOD support was hotfixed in there on ZO2.3, doesn't mean it has to work great.

14% out of onboard is my everyday listening volume, 20% already is painfully loud for example for me and it still sounds clean, I don't dare testing much higher. To me ZO seems to be made for people like me that wants to listen to slightly lower volume levels but still get a ton of bass. I hope ZO3 whenever it comes out, that it has gain levels at least equal to ZO2.1 because ZO do benefit a lot by it, it allows you to get louder output volume before distortion kicks in.

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #6,534 of 11,286
Awesome suggestions!

So I've read that the E11 is a great intro / beginner amp. But beginner stuff is... not really my style. I get bored easily without a little more complexity when it comes to hobbies>.> (and I tinker like you wouldnt believe) so i like to start somewhere in the intermediates. Would you reccomend the E11 over say, the BK or the Objective 2? I've read great things about the O2, even though theres aparently some controversy involved. But the E11 is in a decent price range. So is the BK. Lol so many choices. Oh, and I enjoy my music at a decently loud volume. Enough to where i'm completely immersed and its easy to not pay attention to the world anymore or to easily find "the zone" when gaming. Great for homework!

Though I think the big question here is: Does the type of amp really matter all that much? And if so / sort of, what specific qualities should I be looking for? Especially for clear punchy bass with decent mids and highs? (I suppose bass isnt much of a worry after planning  to grab that ZO2.)

(And I assume LOD has something to so with Line Out something? Lol I'll google it)

So i googled it and get it now :3. Though LOD support isn't particularly for running multiple amps right? Just directly from a DAC to the ZO2? A lot of the time I'll just be using the headphone port on my phone anyways.

Wow I need to stop looking at stuff on amazon or I will have 0 money left...

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #6,535 of 11,286
Quote:
Awesome suggestions!

So I've read that the E11 is a great intro / beginner amp. But beginner stuff is... not really my style. I get bored easily without a little more complexity when it comes to hobbies>.> (and I tinker like you wouldnt believe) so i like to start somewhere in the intermediates. Would you reccomend the E11 over say, the BK or the Objective 2? I've read great things about the O2, even though theres aparently some controversy involved. But the E11 is in a decent price range. So is the BK. Lol so many choices. Oh, and I enjoy my music at a decently loud volume. Enough to where i'm completely immersed and its easy to not pay attention to the world anymore or to easily find "the zone" when gaming. Great for homework!

Though I think the big question here is: Does the type of amp really matter all that much? And if so / sort of, what specific qualities should I be looking for? Especially for clear punchy bass with decent mids and highs? (I suppose bass isnt much of a worry after planning  to grab that ZO2.)

(And I assume LOD has something to so with Line Out something? Lol I'll google it)

So i googled it and get it now :3. Though LOD support isn't particularly for running multiple amps right? Just directly from a DAC to the ZO2? A lot of the time I'll just be using the headphone port on my phone anyways.

Pf, welcome to the club! 
tongue.gif

LOD out is already an analog line-out level signal, and has already been converted. So no DAC needed. It's ready for the ZO / amp. You can use the headphone out with your ZO too. 

You could use the LOD out to double amp, yes. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #6,536 of 11,286
Quote:
Awesome suggestions!

Having started with the E-11, I'd say BK or maybe even go with source--------->LOD (LineOutDock) cable <http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L9-L-Shaped-Cable-iPhone/dp/B004QVNNI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370553373&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+l9> E-11/E-12/BK----------->ZO set to high gain-------------->phone. 

I prefer the BK to the E-11 but either works.  I used the E-11 for months just fine in this config.  And you can get an E-11 used for pretty cheap.  May even sell mine. 

The FiiO link I gave you is a good example of a $10 connector that solves the LOD question you had. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #6,537 of 11,286
Quote:
I haven't had problems with distortion or muddy bass but I run out of headphone port on the soundcard and the ZO's volume maxed (in case of ZO2.1 that has only one gain setting and is even a bit louder than ZO2.3 in high gain) and the Windows volume set to as low as 14% with Realtek onboard or 11% from a SoundBlaster ZxR card (ZxR card set to low gain) for example. The lower you put the source volume the more headroom and cleaner output signal before distortion kicks in. The source will act as a preamp and ZO a bit like an EQ. 

ZO was designed to run out of headphone ports in first place, I think it probably results in less distortion this way. If you always only used LOD with it (this is why double amping also helps) I'd also give it a try out of headphone port with the source volume set as low as possible that satisfies you, this is the optimal way to enjoy ZO or it was designed to be used that way, LOD support was hotfixed in there on ZO2.3, doesn't mean it has to work great.

14% out of onboard is my everyday listening volume, 20% already is painfully loud for example for me and it still sounds clean, I don't dare testing much higher. To me ZO seems to be made for people like me that wants to listen to slightly lower volume levels but still get a ton of bass. I hope ZO3 whenever it comes out, that it has gain levels at least equal to ZO2.1 because ZO do benefit a lot by it, it allows you to get louder output volume before distortion kicks in.

I reread this bout 6 times to make sure I (kind of) understood what you were saying. Right now I have a 5.5g Ipod that is rockboxed with a LOD to a JDS c421 and then that to the Z02.3.

So you would put the Ipod as low as it goes, the Z02 on high gain (Red) and then adjust the volume via the JDS as I see fit? As it stands, I have the bass boost on the JDS on and the bass on the ipod/rockbox set at like 8 (i believe out of 12 or something.) That should be as optimal as I can get, correct?

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #6,538 of 11,286
Quote:
I reread this bout 6 times to make sure I (kind of) understood what you were saying. Right now I have a 5.5g Ipod that is rockboxed with a LOD to a JDS c421 and then that to the Z02.3.

So you would put the Ipod as low as it goes, the Z02 on high gain (Red) and then adjust the volume via the JDS as I see fit? As it stands, I have the bass boost on the JDS on and the bass on the ipod/rockbox set at like 8 (i believe out of 12 or something.) That should be as optimal as I can get, correct?

Red on the ZO does NOT mean high gain, only the highest bass level.  The ZO on high gain is light violet if I remember right.  When you see the ZO on red, push the switch in ONCE and it will change color.  If it's blue, it's on low gain.  If you hold it either forward or backward (sorry don't have one in front of me) for a few seconds it will turn light violet - THEN it is on high gain. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #6,539 of 11,286
Quote:
I wouldnt mind an amp at all. I've been eyeing the objective 2. Thoughts?

I would have to say the FIIO E07K..  Has more power than the E11, 2 Headphone slots, +5 and -5 bass boost options compared to the E11's +2, has + and - 5 for treble as well, can be used while charging, and can be used as a DAC if you wish.

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #6,540 of 11,286
Quote:
Awesome suggestions!

the O2 is by far a superior amp to the e11. but the O2, while small enough to be transportable, is no where near as portable as the e11. you can fit the O2 in your backpack, whereas the e11 you can fit in your pocket. i would take a picture for you, but my e11 is on lone to a friend...

anyway, i can easily recommend the O2. but if you want something good, affordable and still "tinkerable", why not try a cmoy? you can roll opamps and stuff. i got a new one from jds labs for ~60$ and its a great amp. it also has a massive bass boost switch. you can even get a kit and build one yourself if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back