The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Aug 7, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #1,636 of 1,853
The Audioquest Nighthawk has amazingly clean and deep bass and an overall warm sound. I think it would make a decent addition to the basshead club.

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #1,637 of 1,853
  The Audioquest Nighthawk has amazingly clean and deep bass and an overall warm sound. I think it would make a decent addition to the basshead club.

I've heard good things about this.

Apparently the pre-production model might have a bit more bass than the current release?

Not entirely sure if that's true or not..

I think our dear friend @Oregonian bought some? 

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,638 of 1,853

Apparently the pre-production model might have a bit more bass than the current release?

The Nighthawk absolutely belongs on the list. If I recall correctly, Oregonian didn't love them. But, that doesn't preclude them from being basshead-worthy.

The bass is a little weaker than the Fostex TH600 and on a similar level (though slightly more capable with proper EQ) to the V-Moda Crossfade M100.

Totally basshead-worthy. I'll eventually do a paper test after burn-in is complete to show the physical shaking they are capable of with some bass boost.

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,639 of 1,853
The Nighthawk is an amazing first attempt at a headphone for Audioquest and it is a definite basshead 'phone. It does sound pretty closed off, not very wide soundstage, but as a basshead headphone, it is definitely worthy of the list. I own one that I pair with a Cayin C5 and A&K Jr.

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,640 of 1,853
What impresses me is how they developed everything in-house instead of relying on an OEM to hold their hand.

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #1,641 of 1,853
What other basshead IEMs have you heard that you can compare them against? Not that I don't believe these are for bassheads, but I've been burned more than a dozen times buying "basshead" IEMs that are really just earphones with a mid-bass hump.

Anything on this list that you can compare them with? http://www.basshead.club/top-10/top-10-basshead-earphones/

This thread is definitely different than ours. Probably not extreme bass heads, more along the lines of prominent bass.

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,642 of 1,853

I had them for a few days and sent them back.   They are basshead club (this one, not the extreme one) worthy I feel.

Comparing them to my Denon MD5000 and LA7000 they didn't quite cut it, especially for $600.  Probably not a fair fight and (full disclosure) I'm a major early model Denon fanboy - my favorite sound signature. 

They are comfy, good looking and light. 

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #1,643 of 1,853
Hopefully there's someone still viewing this.  Can anyone recommend me a pair of IEMs that have the sound signature of the Ultrasone DJ1?  Nice punchy bass, 10Hz - 20KHz (or better), more geared towards Electronic & Hip-Hop.  Preferably under $150 but if they have a detachable cable, I'm willing to stop at $250.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,644 of 1,853
Just a couple of replies above you, there's a link: http://www.basshead.club/top-10/top-10-basshead-earphones/

I'd suggest you start there. Personally, I don't really like IEMs but I do have the Denon AH-C300 (a bit uncomfortable, but bass hits hard... treble is not as "biting" as the Ultrasones), and the Shure SE215 (bassy but not basshead like the C300s). Thing with IEMs is that just a change of tip can change the whole signature so you'd have to fiddle in order to find what you want or prefer more.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #1,647 of 1,853
Hi Guys if I'm looking for the best tight clean Bass, with good mids

Would these three headphone's be the best in the order in which I put them?

1.) Fostex USA 25-Ohms TH900 Premium Stereo Headphones with Japanese Lacquer Earcups and 1.5 Tesla Magnetic Circuit

2.) JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import

3.) SONY Stereo Headphones MDR-XB1000 | Extra Bass Over Headband Type

I'll be driving them with my Burson Conductor Virtuoso and the Fiio X7 if it lives up to the hype.

Thanks a lot for the input.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,648 of 1,853
  Hi Guys if I'm looking for the best tight clean Bass, with good mids

Would these three headphone's be the best in the order in which I put them?

1.) Fostex USA 25-Ohms TH900 Premium Stereo Headphones with Japanese Lacquer Earcups and 1.5 Tesla Magnetic Circuit

2.) JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import

3.) SONY Stereo Headphones MDR-XB1000 | Extra Bass Over Headband Type

I'll be driving them with my Burson Conductor Virtuoso and the Fiio X7 if it lives up to the hype.

Thanks a lot for the input.

If you want tight clean bass with good mids, go planar-magnetic. None of those options have good mids in my experience with the quality getting worse the further down the list you go.

EDIT:

The TH900 is V-shaped, the SZ2000 requires heavy EQ to even sound good, the XB1000 is rare af and if I recall correctly it's purely a basshead can too.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,649 of 1,853
I've been told that the LCD-2 are a good upgrade for my HD650's and they will pair well with my Burson Conductor Virtuoso.

Is this the kind of headphones you recommend ?

I really wanted a cheap bass heavy can with clean and tight Bass, it doesn't have to be monitor grade, It's just for some hiphop and dancehall music which I love.

Having said cheap I would consider $1000 affordable. no offense intended to anyone.

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #1,650 of 1,853
@slair76116

JVC HP-DX1000

And I'm not trying to sell mine to you. I have a buyer who I'm waiting on a PayPal transfer from. I'm going to buy them again at some point but have to sell them to get a DAC.

The SZ2000 can get you what you want for cheap IF you're willing to EQ heavily. They're extremely capable headphones with the most bass potential of any can out there, but they kinda sound crappy the way they are tuned by default.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back