The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Jul 24, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #572 of 1,529
Quote:
Close, right now i am bitting my fingernails hoping the esw11 doesn't sell out.  After hearing it at the meet i want to use it with the AK120 for my next portable set up but can't quite swing it yet.  That Limited thing can make anxious........problems of abundance.
rolleyes.gif

AK120 and ESW10JPN. Man, that would be one sexy portable rig. I've been considering the Astell and Kern players, but I'm not sure I can justify owning one. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #574 of 1,529
Quote:
Close, right now i am bitting my fingernails hoping the esw11 doesn't sell out.  After hearing it at the meet i want to use it with the AK120 for my next portable set up but can't quite swing it yet.  That Limited thing can make anxious........problems of abundance.
rolleyes.gif

I agree.  I just got a pair of 3000anv.  Didnt want to wait and have a hard time finding them later.  I should get them by next Thurs :D.  I loved how your's sounded at the meet!  

The ESW11LTD sound great with the ak120.  And they make the perfect portable rig for me.  It all fits in my mini messenger bag.  

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #575 of 1,529
Just got my Anvs in!.  I love how it sounds.  Thanks Dallen for letting me try at the LAX meet.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #577 of 1,529
I went to a friends house who owns the th900. So I finally got a chance to compare what I feel are the two best closed cans currently on the market. In short, we both were surprised that sonically, they are on the same level. Neither is really better than the other, just different.

The 900s have better extension at both ends, and have a slightly wider soundstage. But the mids are a tad bit recessed, not to the point where it's a problem, but they still are nonetheless. They are sightly bright, and the bass weight is just a little more than neutral. But again neither is to the point of being a problem, but one of the things that make them so fun to listen too. Both are colored, but the the 900s to a lesser degree.

I find the 3000s to have a deeper more 3 dimensional soundstage, better mids and more seductively tonality wise. The one clear advantage the 3000s have is the fact they actually isolate like a closed can. They each have their own little magic going on, and I was surprised by the fact the 900s weren't nearly as bass heavy as I though they would be.

I would pick the 900 over the 3000s for trance/techno, rock, r&b and hip hop, but would pick the 3000s for everything else. They both are on the same level when it comes to resolution and refinement. It's really a preference thing and I would be ecstatic to own either. I think David got it right when he ranked them right behind each other in his initial rankings. Although I would have ranked them both much higher.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #578 of 1,529
I went to a friends house who owns the th900. So I finally got a chance to compare what I feel are the two best closed cans currently on the market. In short, we both were surprised that sonically, they are on the same level. Neither is really better than the other, just different.

The 900s have better extension at both ends, and have a slightly wider soundstage. But the mids are a tad bit recessed, not to the point where it's a problem, but they still are nonetheless. They are sightly bright, and the bass weight is just a little more than neutral. But again neither is to the point of being a problem, but one of the things that make them so fun to listen too. Both are colored, but the the 900s to a lesser degree.

I find the 3000s to have a deeper more 3 dimensional soundstage, better mids and more seductively tonality wise. The one clear advantage the 3000s have is the fact they actually isolate like a closed can. They each have their own little magic going on, and I was surprised by the fact the 900s weren't nearly as bass heavy as I though they would be.

I would pick the 900 over the 3000s for trance/techno, rock, r&b and hip hop, but would pick the 3000s for everything else. They both are on the same level when it comes to resolution and refinement. It's really a preference thing and I would be ecstatic to own either. I think David got it right when he ranked them right behind each other in his initial rankings. Although I would have ranked them both much higher.

Thanks for the comparison. I feel more privileged to own a pair of W3000anv's.

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #581 of 1,529
Quote:

Thanks for your impressions.  I missed listening to the TH900's that were at a local meet earlier this year and comparing them with my W3000ANV's and it's been nagging at me for a bit.  

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #582 of 1,529
The ATH3000anv works very beautifully with the KOJO Technology amp. Detail and clarity is top notch. Very transparent and clean sounding. This is the best portable amp so far i have listened that so well matched with 3000anv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back