The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 11, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #5,251 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been having problems with the compass (or perhaps its something in my computer). Every so often, I hear loud hissing in one of the L or R channels. Sometimes it is on the left side, sometimes it is on the right side. When I stop foobar/ASIO4ALL and replay the song, it disappears -- only to return unpredictably. I know it is not part of the song recording itself. Does anyone know where this problem could lie?

Edit: I'm using USB

Might be computer generated interference, but most probably it's ASIO... So try listening without ASIO for a while and see if the problem occurs then. (I can certainly say that the Otachan build for foobar 0.8 I'm using is certainly not "bug-free" either.)

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #5,252 of 7,725
Yes, I think they posted the compass's in batches according to voltage.

EDIT: Just a guess here... but the Compass hissing wouldn't be due to grounding problems right? Would the Compass have grounding problems?

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #5,253 of 7,725
Grounding problems usually show up as a consistant hum or similar. As I understand it, the Compass has some protection against that. Intermittent weird sounds are more than likely your computer or interference somewhere.

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #5,254 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dudes @ audio gd are awesome:

It took 30 minutes to personally answer an email.
On a Saturday.

But back on topic: a DAC makes a sound card obsolete right? Or will it be wise to buy an additional x-fi titanium for example?
Also; somebody here has their speakers for sale. He says they output 95db @ 1.5w (or something). That got me thinking: audio-gd has this beautiful poweramp for sale to go with the compass; but is it necessary for speakers like that? You can theoretically hang efficient passive speakers on the pre-amp out right?

I only know so much about speakers and the like, but you have to watch out when hooking up speaks to something not powerful enough to drive them as you could fry your Compass. I would expect that the safest thing to do would be to just go with the Panther or another power amp.

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #5,255 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3-4 days cyber is all it took to get to me. You should see it by Wed of next week or possibly earlier. Tough to say for sure since Customs is either really quick or really slow.

Peete.

Well, I have some exams to write this coming week (I start tuesday, finish the tuesday after that) and it would probably be better for my studying if it came later... NAH ASAP WORKS FOR ME!
biggrin.gif
I still have a hard time believing that it can ship from China that quickly!
eek.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #5,256 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oweny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just wondering what level of cans would you considered doing justice to compass? just ordered the compass and haven't decide on my cans yet
L3000.gif

I'd say good headphones between $150-300 if you only have compass and stock everything else, more detailed headphones if you plan to upgrade things like power and headphone cable. Then you might consider some of the higher end stuff like the C-2c or Dac19. My new headphones has shown me that it's actually bad to upgrade to a too revealing headphone if other things aren't up to par (modding the headphones fixes that, but I'm stubborn :/).

What I mean is I think high end gear is more sensitive to noise in cables than other stuff, I actually find crap source sounding better than expensive source when I take away custom power but retain headphone cable, or find expensive source sounding better by taking away all rather than everything but keeping the headphone cable. Then there's also the issue of the quality of what you listen to, it's unbearable to listen to 128kbps cbr with my best setup while very enjoyable when I take many parts out.

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #5,257 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been having problems with the compass (or perhaps its something in my computer). Every so often, I hear loud hissing in one of the L or R channels. Sometimes it is on the left side, sometimes it is on the right side. When I stop foobar/ASIO4ALL and replay the song, it disappears -- only to return unpredictably. I know it is not part of the song recording itself. Does anyone know where this problem could lie?

Edit: I'm using USB

Probably your computer. But it could also be the hdam is not seated well in the socket. Sometimes if it isnt making contact you will get an intermitant hissing with certain freq. also make sure ground to hdam is secure.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #5,258 of 7,725
Quote:

But back on topic: a DAC makes a sound card obsolete right? Or will it be wise to buy an additional x-fi titanium for example?

This is a tiny bit tricky. You still need a transport - coax optical or USB... IMO the best thing to do it try your built-in sound card's digital out, if you get noise or are not satisfied, try USB, and then if you still aren't happy (or need 24-bit 96khz playback like for DVD-A or SACD) THEN try a dedicated sound card like an x-fi. I have a sound card for the gaming features, but in testing the coax out from my onboard sound card I got a lot of "static"... so I use the coax out of my xfi.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #5,259 of 7,725
Quote:

The dudes @ audio gd are awesome:

It took 30 minutes to personally answer an email.
On a Saturday.

Also; somebody here has their speakers for sale. He says they output 95db @ 1.5w (or something). That got me thinking: audio-gd has this beautiful poweramp for sale to go with the compass; but is it necessary for speakers like that? You can theoretically hang efficient passive speakers on the pre-amp out right?

If you buy that Poweramp you mentioned, you'll be able to run "un-amplified" spkrs fine. If the spkrs you are looking at are amped, you can run them from the Compass.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #5,260 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This page will send you email with your tracking status, usually that will also include the full address is given on the package, so you can check.

You can also apply for regular email updates about your package on that site. The service is available once you entered a tracking number on the tracking page.

Thanks Drosera for the link
L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #5,261 of 7,725
Does having the preamp switch in the front alter SQ in any way?

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #5,262 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does having the preamp switch in the front alter SQ in any way?

Nope.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #5,264 of 7,725
^^ I heard that they were shipping more out on Sunday, plus batch 1 and 2 already gone, then I think its just the later orders to complete and ship.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #5,265 of 7,725
I ended up leaving my Compass at work, powered on for the four day weekend. With all the festivities and family coming over, I wouldn't have been able to listen but I still want to run some comparative tests before I start writing my review. I have looked for a unit like the Compass for years, particularly with an internal bypass for the amp section. I'm very enthusiastic about all the products coming out that are making desktop listening such a joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back