The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 2, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #3,556 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pffff, my most honest response would be: try it and see if it sounds better. Intuitively, USB seems to me to be a more direct path than putting the digital signal through an ethernet connection.

I can't imagine it would be much different either way. In fact depending on how the Squeezebox works you could consider it a more "direct" process from audio file to analog signal.

In either case you're sending the file to the device. A USB DAC requires it be converted to a data stream of a different type and the ethernet or wired devices either read the file directly and then process & DAC it or they need software or something to support some kind of streaming audio.

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #3,557 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't imagine it would be much different either way. In fact depending on how the Squeezebox works you could consider it a more "direct" process from audio file to analog signal.

In either case you're sending the file to the device. A USB DAC requires it be converted to a data stream of a different type and the ethernet or wired devices either read the file directly and then process & DAC it or they need software or something to support some kind of streaming audio.

The new Lynn DS series is only ethernet in I believe:

Linn - Klimax DS Digital Stream Player

It also costs around 20,000.
eek.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #3,558 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good idea. Ask around on a French Hifi-forum, you will probably get the most relevant answers there.
And for the rest, my experience is: sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you aren't.

Just to satisfy your curiosity:
In France, when importing from outside UE, one has to pay 19,6% VAT + 2% specific import tax for amplifiers (this specific tax varies with the kind of product).
These taxes apply to the sum: value of the product + shipping.
The value of the product is the value declared by the seller when all goes well, but the value estimated by the customs when all goes wrong!

I've searched (and posted) in French forums about the likelihood of not being taxed.
Overall, my impression is similar to yours: products that cost more than x hundred euros (declared or evaluated value) will systematically be taxed, even when shipping EMS.

Otherwise, Kingwa told me that, costwise, EMS is interesting when the total weight is less than 20 kgs. When it's more, it's less expensive to use DHL.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #3,559 of 7,725
Hmm weird, I don't know this. But is the Compass Class A? I'm hoping yes.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #3,562 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's make a foolproof guide on getting ASIO working for the compass on the different media players.

thanx halo really appreciated

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #3,563 of 7,725
OK, seriously now I think the thread title needs to tell newbs to read the OP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clasam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I was wondering if someone could bring me up to speed about the project, as of Marcy 2, 2009, so I don't have to read 222 pages.

Thanks,

Jon

Read the first post of the thread.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #3,564 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All Kingwa's designs are Class A as far as I know.

That's what I thought. Nifty little Amp Compass got then!

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #3,565 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, seriously now I think the thread title needs to tell newbs to read the OP.

Read the first post of the thread.

Okay, I read it. No harm, no foul.

I only asked that question because I know with super long threads, things tend to change over time and the original post is not always up to date.

Just go to any "official" thread here, AVS.com, etc...often times the original post is out of date. I don't know about you, but I don't have days to pour through vast amounts of information.

I'll be more diligent about reading posts in the future, but you don't have to be so condescending.

If you weren't being condescending, then my apologies. It simply reads that way over the internet.

Jon

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #3,566 of 7,725
He wasn't being condenscending. It seems whenever it's someone who is not a regular poster in thread contributes, its to ask a question that has already been answered so many times, it's tiresome.

Currawong has been keeping important posts tagged and linked on the OP. So to reduce the number of repeated questions, maybe csroc suggestion would be a good one.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #3,567 of 7,725
I was not intending to be rude, I apologize if it may have come across that way. Although we do get questions like yours asked a lot, there haven't been any for at least a page or two now.

Currawong has been keeping the first post updated diligently, so in the case of this thread it remains the best place to go for information to get your feet wet. I had suggested the thread title get changed before but it hasn't happened, which is why I brought it up again.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #3,568 of 7,725
I've updated the first post again. I guess now we chat about random crap for a month again.
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #3,569 of 7,725
I noticed that the link to the compass page is taken down. We have to direct link to it, is Kingwa getting more orders than he can handle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back