The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
May 11, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #6,886 of 7,138
Makes perfect sense. For me, the non-F has more warmth and a natural sound, the F is more neutral. I find great things about both. I think the easiest way that I can describe the differences is that the F makes things a little less intimate.

May 11, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #6,887 of 7,138
I wouldn't be too upset about getting the "worse" version because there is not a consensus on that at all. Many people got burned when they sent their rev2s in for repairs and then got an un-asked for "upgrade". It's funny because I actually had the reverse experience - I bought the fazor version expecting the rev 2s and was quite upset when I discovered I had the latter.

It really just depends on the kind of music you are listening to and what you care the most about soundwise. Your amp and dac both have an enormous impact on the sound as well.

I could also see the rev2s becoming increasingly rare and sought after further down the road.

May 11, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #6,888 of 7,138
Shameless plug, I'm selling my LCD2.2, they are great, but I just dropped a large sum on some other headphones and need the funds.

I have used these with the Burson Soloist (which I am also selling) and an amp I designed using the 2A3 and they are really great headphones. I'm sad to see them go, really, since I listen to them just as much as my T1. They are fantastic headphones

May 12, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #6,889 of 7,138
  Makes perfect sense. For me, the non-F has more warmth and a natural sound, the F is more neutral. I find great things about both. I think the easiest way that I can describe the differences is that the F makes things a little less intimate.

I thought that neutral and natural was pretty much the same thing.

Also warm sound and intimacy I thought they go together.
Would you care to explain the differences (or give me a link, no problem)?
bigsmile_face.gif

NoxNoctum thanks for the reply, the point is that because me relationship with hi-fi is not grown, that I was just been given a worse old version. As simple as that.
I understand now that everything is relative when you are talking about such a good headphone and when you "improve" something you "loose" something else.

May 12, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #6,890 of 7,138

I thought that neutral and natural was pretty much the same thing.

Also warm sound and intimacy I thought they go together.
Would you care to explain the differences (or give me a link, no problem)?
bigsmile_face.gif

NoxNoctum thanks for the reply, the point is that because me relationship with hi-fi is not grown, that I was just been given a worse old version. As simple as that.
I understand now that everything is relative when you are talking about such a good headphone and when you "improve" something you "loose" something else.

'Worse old version' is a bit contentious....
2.2C's are just a different flavor. Each of the 3 main iterations of LCD2 have a following...they slide from dark and intimate (2.1) to neutral wider sound-stage (2.2F) and somewhere in-between with the model you have. Actually you can print open source Fazors for these 2.2c and get a little bit of C+F strengths....

May 12, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #6,891 of 7,138
Thank you all for your replies.
I will be ordering an amp this week as I am currently building my system and doing research for what fits the audezes. I am in love with their looks so there was no question about buying them first. :tongue_smile:

Until the amp arrives, they will be driven by a Meridian explorer (probably inadequate).

What I am asking I understand that can't be actually answered.
Let's try once more.
In your opinion and judging the headphones only (as possible as that is), do you think that the fazors are an improvement over the r2's or more a matter of personal preference?

To make a simile, is it like going from a fiat to a ferrari (improvement) or from a porsche to a ferrari (personal preference)?

Maybe an owner of both of them could answer to that question, considering that everything else on his/her system remained the same.

Maybe what I'm asking is childish but I have just received my new pair of headphones and before using them I would like to be sure that I have made the right choice,
I don't have the budget to make mistakes. :frowning2:

Also I don't have the knowledge to judge if I like their sound as compared to what I'm comparing them to (parrot ziks, sennheisers hd435) almost any more expensive headphone would be an improvement. By your answers I understand that the fazor ones can't be clearly described as better headphones, is that right?

If my personal opinion is of any use I am blown away by the r2's. But what if the fazors are slightly better? I can;t even test them, I have to drive to Athens (250km away) to find a pair to compare.

That's were your valuable knowledge comes to rescue.

ps. Audeze removed the option to put fazors on my drivers, the only option is to exchange them for a new fazor version.
i bought a brand new LCD-2Fazor, then bought LCD-2 Rev. 2, then sold the Fazor.

Fazor's strength is just more treble, that's it, it but has weakness on bass quality-articulation. Rev. 2's strength is bass quantity and quality, but I don't find them weak on the treble department.

Fazor's weakness cannot be remedied even by bass boost as bass boost doesn't result to quality or articulate bass. Rev. 2 has no weakness at all, I find, if I place them properly forward on my face/ears and thus don't cover up the treble with my ears.

IMHO, don't replace them. And they're rare btw. I was looking for a NIB LCD-2.2 but can't find any, so got a used one.

May 12, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #6,892 of 7,138

Yes, perfect description. And the F sounds like another excellent headphone. The non-F sounds like Audeze.

May 12, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #6,893 of 7,138
I think everything is clear now.
I have an update in my situation and it's that my father ordered the fazor one half price because of the mistake the seller made, so soon we will have two Audeze's in the family.
The hard choice is which one to keep for me. I will test them and see which one suits my ears, it will be a hard one I think.
For classic rock and rock do you think the no-fazor ones will be more suitable?

May 12, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #6,894 of 7,138
I have an update in my situation and it's that my father ordered the fazor one half price because of the mistake the seller made, so soon we will have two Audeze's in the family.
The hard choice is which one to keep for me. I will test them and see which one suits my ears, it will be a hard one I think.

for 1/2 price keep both, but you will have both so listen to them and make your own decision they are both phenomenal headphones.

May 12, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #6,895 of 7,138

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

As others have mentioned above, fazor primarily adds a bit more treble, so it's more preference than anything else, and not something we can really answer for you. I can say, however, that my LCD-2.2 that I had was amazing, and a new version doesn't make the older one any worse.

May 17, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #6,897 of 7,138

How's your comparison on your LCD-2.2 vs your father's LCD-2F?

May 18, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #6,899 of 7,138
Just got a call from the courier, they will be delivered in the afternoon so I will go to my fathers house to compare.
We will be using the Burson Conductor headphone amp.
So first a brief LCD-2 R-2 unboxing.
Sorry for the many probably meaningless photos but I'm the kind of guy that finds pleasure in details.
For example for packing my phones they used the box that SKB used to ship the case (see the pealed fragile sticker). Also, they are ordering the empty case version and cutting the foam on their own.
For some (weird, I know) reason I found that very interesting, knowing a piece of their story.
So here we go.

May 18, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #6,900 of 7,138
I'm back from the test.
I'll start backwards and talk about the acoustic comparison.
Well...I have to be totally honest and not mention what I THINK I heard but what I'm,more or less, sure that I heard.
Keep in mind, this is my first HI-FI step, no previous experience whatsoever.

First of all the bass. The bass of the fazor ones created a sensation of not as rich as the non fazored ones. It was a little more "dry". I can't express it any better I think.
Secondly, the stage indeed is more intimate on the non fazored ones. The songs were near my ear while using the r2's but little more distant while using the f2's.
I found no difference in weight but I think the r2's press my head a little more.
That's all.
I went home with the fazored ones in order to get used to them. When I do, I'll change and compare again.
We used the burson conductor and various flacs only and listened to classic rock.

Visually, there is no difference at all, you can only feel the fazors and that's it. The boxes and cases are different. There are no stickers on the new ones and no chart which I have to request I guess.

Now the problem that I worry about. As you can see from the picture the fazored ones do not sit straight for some reason. On my head they feel fine . The problem is the angle of the metal hemicycle holds the left driver (the metal pin that you can adjust actually) is lower that the one on the right. I can't inflect that metal part by hand. I have seen one more picture in this thread that they look like this. Do you think is a problem? Should I ask for a new pair?
That will require too much effort sending them from Greece and I would like to avoid it. Are anybody elses like that? I can get more pictures if it's not clear. Maybe I could take it apart and try to fix it but it's a brand new pair...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back