The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 15, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #871 of 9,131
Ok I think we can all agree that there is a middle ground between bitter AK bashing and blind fanboyism.

I also think AK products have an awesome design and finish, and even if they have yet to fully satisfy me soundwise, I am ready to pay a premium for great design and finish. On the AK240, this premium is a bit over my means, so unless I find it on sale at 1.6k$ max, I will pass...

Now I am still eager to hear trustworthy reviews, may they be professional or amateur, and comparisons with DX100, 901, Tera and ZX1.

Colorfly C4 also surely?

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #872 of 9,131
Here's coverage of the AK240 in Stereophile magazine:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/astellkern-ak240-hd-portable-player

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #873 of 9,131
Oh crud I totally forgot about the TERA :O

still I got ahold of the A&K 24bit Demo Music... so I own something A&K :3 and I like that demo CD very much, I like that they released music engineered to showcase their player, yea it's sounds good on my Hm801 but I'm always curious how it sounds on one of there own devices 

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #874 of 9,131
Surely the Tera price will be raised to €2,400 now ?

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #876 of 9,131
Is the Terra still being made? I would think if you compared the 240 to that this would make the 240 a veritable bargain!

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #879 of 9,131
With all the talk of the Terra player I searched for its website and saw it is still in business, not sure how though seeing as the price is now $2285!!! That makes the 240 seem a real bargain now. Hopefully my local dealer will have one in soon so I can listen to it.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #880 of 9,131
With all the talk of the Terra player I searched for its website and saw it is still in business, not sure how though seeing as the price is now $2285!!! That makes the 240 seem a real bargain now. Hopefully my local dealer will have one in soon so I can listen to it.

wow when I got it it was just around 1500 I think

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #881 of 9,131
This is how I separate good daps from the bad ones. The good dap will tell you exactly which albums are good recordings and which are bad ones. The good recordings will sound excellent yet the bad ones will sound worse.

So I don't believe a better dap will make bad recordings sound better, instead it will give them bad time and make them sound worse.

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #882 of 9,131
  This is how I separate good daps from the bad ones. The good dap will tell you exactly which albums are good recordings and which are bad ones. The good recordings will sound excellent yet the bad ones will sound worse.

So I don't believe a better dap will make bad recordings sound better, instead it will give them bad time and make them sound worse.

I mostly agree.

I don't really care what a DAP does with bad recordings. What I care about is how decent it sounds with a decent recording.

As the old computer maxim goes- 'GIGO':

Garbage
In
Garbage
Out

If a DAP, or any other part of a music reproduction chain, fails to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, then that's the fault of the sow's ear, but if it make a sow's ear out of a silk purse then it justly deserves criticism!

I mixing my metaphors outrageously here, but you get my general meaning, I'm sure.

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #883 of 9,131

Neither player is a bargain, regardless of how they relate to one another in price.

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #885 of 9,131
I think Tera is produced by an head fi enthusiast for other hardcore fellow head-fiers while AK240 is a mass produced consumer product targeting a wider audience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back