The Astell & Kern AK240
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #6,121 of 9,131
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #6,122 of 9,131

Thanks for the reply and yes, they do have exactly that specific adapter. Now I have to weigh buying the IEMs ($200) and the adapter ($90).

The advantage might be that you could use the adapter with future cables.

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #6,123 of 9,131

I pulled the trigger on the RE 600. I'm gonna wait and see if I'm truly blown away by their sound before I order the adapter. If the single ended sound warrants it, then the $90 adapter won't hurt quite as much. I always feel that premium cables, and in this case adapters, is so much voodoo and hokum but Astell&Kern decided to do their own 2.5mm thing, so what can you do?

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #6,124 of 9,131

I pulled the trigger on the RE 600. I gonna wait and see if I'm truly blown away by their sound before I order the adapter. If the single ended sound warrants it, then the $90 adapter won't hurt quite as much. I always feel that premium cables, and in this case adapters, is so much voodoo and hokum but Astell&Kern decided to do their own 2.5mm thing, so what can you do?

I do not think you need to spend $90, use some of the cables you already have and build your own. You could probably do that for $10.

post you question if any in this thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #6,125 of 9,131

I do not think you need to spend $90, use some of the cables you already have and build your own. You could probably do that for $10.

post you question if any in this thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery

That's an excellent tip. Thank You!

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #6,126 of 9,131

Yes, the AK240 plays fine through my Audi RS5 via a Tune2Air bluetooth dongle. Sounds very good connected this way :)

From experimenting around, I found that DSD files (DFF, DSF) cannot stream through bluetooth, only other formats. Other hires files are fine.

Tyll says that you can't output the DSD digitally (because 240 uses dual DACs to accomplish playback), and Jude says that it must convert it to PCM when it is in a DAC/Amp chain.

I can get the AK240 to work thru the line out using the car's AUX, but not via Bluetooth (any file type). And on a hi-rez file that's well recorded,
it makes my Alpine system sing like an opera star! Didn't know it could sound like that. More bits = incredible improvement.

I have 7 different family devices working fine thru the car's Bluetooth, so I am not sure why this player won't work on any setting.
It pairs just fine, just no sound.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #6,127 of 9,131
  I have 7 different family devices working fine thru the car's Bluetooth, so I am not sure why this player won't work on any setting.
It pairs just fine, just no sound.

lol on "It pairs just fine, just no sound."

If you can't get AK central to answer the Bluetooth question, I suggest you ask Vinnie @ RedWineAudio. Then tell us what he said please.

UPDATE: Just got off the email w/Vinnie: He doesn't know about Bluetooth-ing the 240.

Have you read the AK240 manual about Bluetooth? If not, there might be something in there to help...just sayin'.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #6,128 of 9,131

lol on "It pairs just fine, just no sound."

Pairing, meaning both sides have acknowledged that they are connected to each other.

They are locked in, but like a troubled couple thats separated, but not yet divorced... 
...they are officially connected, just not talking to each other. 
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #6,129 of 9,131
I've paired my 240 with my Note 4...but no sounds either. I was just curious, but I have zero interest in using it with my cell. I do have a bose soundlink, I'll try pairing them later and playing music, if anyone is interested in the results.

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #6,130 of 9,131

I've successfully paired my 240 with a UE Boom...works great.

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #6,131 of 9,131
I came across this statement on the Double Helix cable site: "[1-button] Remote functionality works great with AK240 and other A&K products."

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've tried a couple of my iPhone-compatible IEMs with my AK and the inline button remotes don't do anything.

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #6,133 of 9,131
Need help looking to buy the ak240 and balance plug
I live usa.
Where to buy
Who has best price and USA warentee
Help people.and it must be in stack for immediate shipping.
Thanks in adance.
Al

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #6,134 of 9,131
Need help looking to buy the ak240 and balance plug
I live usa.
Where to buy
Who has best price and USA warentee
Help people.and it must be in stack for immediate shipping.
Thanks in adance.
Al

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Furutech-Valab-Oyaide-Shure-Denon-diy-headphone-cable-connector/Eidolic-Astell-Kern-AK240-trrs-2-5-mm-balanced-4-pole-connector-carbon

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #6,135 of 9,131
Nice connector.
How about a link to buy the unit as well
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back