The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Sep 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #2,731 of 3,220
For me the CF SD card conversation has really helped. It did increase battery life, but I Cnt say how much. My old HDD and battery were pretty worn. But I can get at least a solid 12 hours. I have ha a couple iPod freeze, but not sure if it's related to the SD card. Mostly it was when I was messing with videos. Hasn't happened in a while. Only other issue I had was the SD card not being completely secured and when I dropped the iPod (it's in a solid rubber case) the card slipped out of place. Just opened the ipod reseated the card and all was good. It's a relief knowing I'm that if I drop the iPod, I won't damage a had drive.
biggrin.gif

Sent from my DROID RAZR/JB CM 10.2 via Tapatalk II

Freeze hardly happens to these ipods not like those high-end 'audiophile" daps. It may have happened to me just a couple of times since I started using rockbox.

After the CF card is inserted make sure the adapter is securely positioned. The ribbon cable connecting the board and the CF adapter is sometimes fussy and sensitive to shifting.

Has anyone had the iMod done by one of the vendors on eBay? I'm looking at the vendor in Turkey. Cost is $159 with an LOD. I'd love to send my iPod to Redwine Audio, but they want $250 for the iMod and $195 for the LOD. Is that really worth the improvement? $450??

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=251306223298

Sent from my DROID RAZR/JB CM 10.2 via Tapatalk II

I don't know how the RWA or the ebay seller implements the mod. According to this thread, there are 2 ways of modding. One is soldering to the board only, and the other is direct-out mod by wiring from the dac to the lod output pins directly. Are these mods equal in SQ? I don't know, but I like the direct-out mod and all my mods are done this way.

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #2,732 of 3,220
Today i have decided to take a leap of faith and finally get rid of those ugly rubber bands, so diymod can show off his private parts due to clear front panel.

I took some industrial double sided ducktape and tape ipod with amp. Looks alright. I just hope it will come off, shall i need it to, without damaging amp and/or ipod :D

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #2,733 of 3,220
Looking Good!  I've decided to get a clear panel too since yours looks so good!  Also I think I'm going to get the iMod.  I don't have the skill to do it myself.  Then I can enjoy the great sound in my car, or at home, or wherever. :D  I'll have to pay for it though. :frowning2:  But I have no doubt it'll be worth it.

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #2,734 of 3,220
You definitely shoud go for it. I was very sceptic and really doubty about diymod sounds improvments. But when i rockboxed it and stuffed it with music, i was quite amazed. And yesterday, when i run out of battery in amp, i plugged headphones to regular headphones jack and i was stunned how much worse the same flac files on same headphones actually sounded.

Diymoding it your self is not that hard, as it may seems, if you are a bit technically skillful. However you need some equipment, mostly soldering iron capable of doing this small stuff.  

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2,735 of 3,220
  Today i have decided to take a leap of faith and finally get rid of those ugly rubber bands, so diymod can show off his private parts due to clear front panel.

I took some industrial double sided ducktape and tape ipod with amp. Looks alright. I just hope it will come off, shall i need it to, without damaging amp and/or ipod :D

Try blu-tak. I used it to stick my fiio e6 to the back of my ipod. Holds good, and easish to remove (kinda gotta give it a bit of a twist, easy to clean any remaining residue). The e6 is pretty small, but it should work with bigger amps too. Heck when I had my speakers blu-taked to the stands I could pick em up (sand filled stands and all) just by grabbing onto the speakers.

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,736 of 3,220
Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable with completely relying on double-sided tape or blu-tak to hold them together if you are talking about bringing the gear outside.

I use the amp wallet with a clear cover. The clear cover works well with the click wheel. The amp wallet doesn't look fancy but it's practical.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #2,737 of 3,220
Quick question guys,

I recently ordered the iMod from Red Wine Audio. Pretty much because I have no experience soldering. Anyway I also ordered the clear iVue cover for my 5.5g iPod. Question is, should in wait till in get the iVue cover before sending the iPod to Red Wine Audio? I have the skill to disassemble the iPod but don't want to risk damaging the iMod aspect. I've worked on tons of computers, and laptops ect. I replaced the iPod battery and HDD with CF->SD.

Am I better off waiting to send the iPod to RWA after swapping the iVue cover in? Or is it not to risky to swap the cover after the iMod has been done? I don't want to damage anything that's may be real brittle. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #2,738 of 3,220
Definitely wait till you get the clear cover and send everything to RWA for the mod. You don't want to risk the finished iMod by reopening it to change anything (not mentioning you may even need to desolder and solder the wires again if you want to change the front cover).

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #2,739 of 3,220
I don´t see how you would need to solder anyting while changing cover. But i guess it would be better to wait for cover and then send it all together, so you would fell safer.

However, if i personally was to decide, i would send it asap, because i hate waiting and im confident i wouldn´t screw it up :D But thats only because im cocky s.o.b., so you rather wait :)

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #2,740 of 3,220
  I don´t see how you would need to solder anyting while changing cover. But i guess it would be better to wait for cover and then send it all together, so you would fell safer.

However, if i personally was to decide, i would send it asap, because i hate waiting and im confident i wouldn´t screw it up :D But thats only because im cocky s.o.b., so you rather wait :)

Keep in mind he needs to change the click wheel too. Also I don't know how exactly the RWA iMod is done (they may not mod the way you did), I mean how they wire and where they put the caps (inside the ipod or in the lod). Given that he is not comfortable with soldering or diymod, I wouldn't advise him to reopen the finished imod at all unless he is prepared to handle the unexpected just in case.

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #2,741 of 3,220
Change click wheel? You mean the plastic cover thats over the click wheel and center button, that you need to put there separately. At least thats what i did. 

I would like to see some pictures of RWA iMod taken apart 
deadhorse.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #2,742 of 3,220
If you managed to strip that piece from the click wheel and put on the plastic cover over the wheel, without separating the whole click wheel thing from the board, I think you have done a very nice job. As I recall, it took some effort to strip that thing from the wheel before I put on the plastic cover.

As for the pics on the RWA's iMod, no I haven't seen any.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #2,743 of 3,220
Well, it took a bit of time, but i was able to strip it. Maybe my piece was a bit looser, but im quite sure it hasn´t been opened before.

Did you tried various capacitors in your diymod? Were you able tell them apart?

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2,744 of 3,220
  Did you tried various capacitors in your diymod? Were you able tell them apart?

Yes and yes, and I am still trying new caps. There is an ocean of caps and that's what fun about this diymod thing.

I am also trying all different diy LOD cables made of wires from different sources, and I am a little bit obsessed with these LOD's.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #2,745 of 3,220
When i finally get down to changing HDD or adding CF/SD card, i was thinking, while im at it, i might as well change caps for some really good ones. But which one? Black Gate? Do you have some that really outpace others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back