The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Dec 14, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #2,116 of 3,220
You can get an in line volume control IEM to make it work, but you're right.

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #2,118 of 3,220
I get your point. Discard what I said then.
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #2,119 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been wondering, until I see one of jonseeboi's rants that the headphone out in all diymods (except 4G) work. That's great news for me. If I may ask further: Does the diymod (I have a 5G) change/improve the headphone out SQ at all? Without the mod, is the SQ from a lod better than from the headphone jack?

</snip>

Looks like I missed a lot today. Whatever happened to getting emails for subscribing to a thread?

The headphone out works in all diyMods. Please note the difference between diyMod and iMod. In my signature, it says that the iMod 4G replaces the headphone out with the line out signal, not that the diyMod on the 4G disables the headphone out.

The diyMod has no effect on the headphone out unless you choose to do so. Some members have replaced the headphone out's coupling capacitors with higher value SMD caps, so it's possible that it affects the SQ. Without the mod, most head-fi users say that the line out sounds better than the headphone jack. I believe this to be mostly a perceived difference because, reading from the datasheet, the headphone out and line out signals are the same. There is some digital attenuation happening with the headphone out (at least with the way Apple has implemented the Wolfson CODECs), so if you turn your headphone signal up all the way, it should sound just about the same as the line out. Couple that with the fact that there are larger capacitors on the headphone outputs, I think it's safe to say that the headphone out (turned up to max volume) is slightly better than the line out because of the high pass filter. Of course, there are practical implications with this type of use, eg. plugging in your headphones with max volume, so it's better to go with the line out. All in all, stick with the line out signal over the headphone out because they're about equivalent in sound quality, though the line out is much more practical for our uses.

Also, the reason some of us answer so tersely regarding the issue of headphone outs is because it's a common misconception that constantly requires addressing. Just because one model of Red Wine Audio iMod's implementation, everyone is confused in thinking that the diyMod is configured the same. Think of it like this: the iMod 4G is one iteration of the diyMod 4G. Though it is the predecessor of all diyMods, the diyMod is an idea that has more applications and iterations than the iMod. You can do an "iMod" style diyMod, but they aren't the same. Doing a little bit of reading on the website and thread will prevent these kinds of situations.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #2,124 of 3,220
That's funny. That's the second person to say it doesn't work. It works when I visit the site. Anyone else having problems?

The files are hosted by my school's servers. I don't really have any control over what happens to them. Plus, the site works for me even after several refreshes.

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #2,126 of 3,220
Hi Jon,

just to let you know the site still doesn't work, the reason it probably loads for you is because it may still be saved in your browsers cache.

Regards
Steph

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #2,130 of 3,220
Try now. I checked it on IE8, Firefox 3.6, Safari 4.04, Opera 10.10 and Chrome 4.0.249.89. I always use Chrome, so maybe since I'm pretty much the only one using it, it was working for me. I fixed what was keeping everything from opening, and it opened on all the browsers for me. Give it a shot now. (Also, I recommend installing Google Chrome.
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back