The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Oct 8, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #1,157 of 2,897
1plus 2 us 15 percent better than porta? And Ref w0 percent hetter than porta? I dont have Porta now I have 5 way and K10 but I used to have in 20 years ago.

Sorry by > I meant to communicate 'better' and >>>> 'much better'. I did not mean to imply numerical values (not sure how that could translate to perceived SQ - even saying better or much better is already subjective enough).

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #1,158 of 2,897

Oh, you finally got word from FitEar? If so, that's good to hear. Thanks in advance for the input.

The 335 is the only FitEar that doesn't sound crippled with the Tera, iirc. Of course, nowhere close to the Ref1 too or 1p2. Or even the ACS Encore.
smily_headphones1.gif

I confirm after trying last night briefly that the 335 works well with the Tera, no bass roll off.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #1,159 of 2,897
Hello, apologies if this has been covered earlier. I have an early version of TP - which I've hardly used. It's not reading SDHC cards - getting the dreaded continuous blue light. Card access is via a Mac slot. Any tips or advice as currently it looks very dainty but can't use. Thanks

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #1,160 of 2,897
Format card using a camera - clear directories - clear trash - copy *.wav files - enjoy...

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #1,161 of 2,897
For best results with the Tera player from my experience use only Sandisk cards.
Get size 32 GB as they don't need to be formatted.
Never had any problems with my 128 GB Sandisk class 10 ,45 mbps card.
Please report back to see if the problem been solved.
Best to use to format are computers that will alow you to scan for any corrupted parts of the card.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,164 of 2,897
My guess is that a lot of these card reading issues may possibly be fixed in latest firmware which of course most of us early adopters don't have.
I don't think Charles would want to admit this and get flooded with old Tera's and having to update them for this reason alone - his rational is probably that it's easier for us to just find some sd card that works rather than deal with this.
Again, this is purely a guess but I have been working with computers/electronics for long enough where I think it's an educated guess - and Charles being a one man show it's easy to see how he would not want to spend time on support of old devices unless absolutely necessary. 
All this would be so much easier if he designed it where we could update the firmware ourselves (ie from SD cards) - but the problem there is some people would probably brick the devices and he would again get more of them sent back than he is ready to deal with.
Curious to hear whether others think any of this makes sense or am I too deep into "conspiracy" theories?

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #1,166 of 2,897
I think even with the first Tera models when you used only Sandisk cards,in my case you should never have any sort of problems with the device reading your files from the sd.
I used the high end Kingston cards before but after a while they stopped working normally but i never had this issue with my Sandisk 128 GB 45 mbps.
If you ask me higher speed cards are better as they will give you an instant access to your folder or file.
So i put the card in,music starts playing as soon as the card is interested and within 8 seconds i can locate any folder on the card going from the begging to the end or from end to the begging.
This is what i like very much about Tera being able to go both ways,so browsing without a screen never been a problem for me.

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #1,167 of 2,897
I think even with the first Tera models when you used only Sandisk cards,in my case you should never have any sort of problems with the device reading your files from the sd.
I used the high end Kingston cards before but after a while they stopped working normally but i never had this issue with my Sandisk 128 GB 45 mbps.
If you ask me higher speed cards are better as they will give you an instant access to your folder or file.
So i put the card in,music starts playing as soon as the card is interested and within 8 seconds i can locate any folder on the card going from the begging to the end or from end to the begging.
This is what i like very much about Tera being able to go both ways,so browsing without a screen never been a problem for me.

I have been using at least 10 different SD cards (brands and/or sizes) over time with Tera and had problems with some and no problem at all with others. The pattern I see has less to do with the brand of the cards but instead with speed of access.
In my case older cards are more reliable - I can add or delete individual tracks, folders, albums and the cards works without need to reformat or do anything else.
Quite a few of the newer cards (Sandisk as well as others) are more sensitive. For example two of the fastest Sandisk cards I have only work if I reformat them and then copy all the music I want on them in one single bulk copy command.
If I try to later delete albums or add something else to already existing folders I will get blue light 9 out of 10 times on those cards.
Again, I have a feeling firmware update would take care of that but am not too worried about it now that I know how to make all my cards work.
Let me add that even with this flow Tera is still the most incredible piece of electronics I have ever purchased and has given me enormous pleasure over the 3 or so years I have had it. 
Certainly the best 840 Euro I have ever spent.

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #1,170 of 2,897
Ripley's believe it or not! the sd card selection will affect the sq as well. (if you feel rich enough try tera with sony sdxc card)

Trust your common sense!

If you run google translate on the reviews of the product

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00TXWKC7W

you can have a lot of fun 
biggrin.gif
 reading the sarcastic (high ratings) comments, poking fun at the gullible - relating to this widely slated product.

Some of the review comments are:

1. Bought microsd card and pointed it at grandma and now she has ability to speak english
  1. Cures dementia
  2. Put it in 4 inch screen smart phone and converts phone to 12 inch screen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back