The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Sep 18, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #1,113 of 2,897

According to Tera web page it seems like Charles will announce some type of Christmas special on Nov 1st. 

http://www.tera-player.com/

back to the bargain bin price of £1500 then 
normal_smile .gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #1,114 of 2,897
His pricing is simply hilarious.

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #1,115 of 2,897
  back to the bargain bin price of £1500 then 
normal_smile%20.gif

Or maybe even better another batch of used Tera's for basement bargain price of around 5K euros (and why not when they are nicely worn out and scratched so have character and each is one of a kind)?
One can only hope and patiently wait 
popcorn.gif

Thank GOD I already have mine - and the battery on it better not die before I do or I won't die happy.

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,117 of 2,897
How much below 7,000 U.S. will he go? Probably not low enough.

Depends on how badly he wants/needs to sell them. While I think Tera is the most incredible music player ever (truly an engineering miracle with that great combination of incredible SQ and simplicity of small box with 5 buttons) - still it seems crazy to me that I was able to get a brand new one for around 800 euro about 3 years ago and now the exact same device costs almost 10x as much. Let me add that if the price is reflective of supply/demand I personally have no problem with that and am happy to see Charles getting rewarded for his brilliant creation (but I doubt the demand is there to support the astronomical price or otherwise the sale would not be needed).

Sep 18, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,118 of 2,897

Depends on how badly he wants/needs to sell them. While I think Tera is the most incredible music player ever (truly an engineering miracle with that great combination of incredible SQ and simplicity of small box with 5 buttons) - still it seems crazy to me that I was able to get a brand new one for around 800 euro about 3 years ago and now the exact same device costs almost 10x as much. Let me add that if the price is reflective of supply/demand I personally have no problem with that and am happy to see Charles getting rewarded for his brilliant creation (but I doubt the demand is there to support the astronomical price or otherwise the sale would not be needed).

I know, a few years ago the price U.S. was around $1150 and at that time it wasn't really on my radar.  Now it is, and the price is ridiculous.  I just had someone offer theirs to me for 2000 euros.  Still more than I'm willing to pay.  If the price is reasonable I will definitely pick one up.

Sep 18, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,119 of 2,897
The current Tera Player price is just crazy and unwarranted. Especially when you consider that very early adopters (like me) purchased our units for 500 Euros. Thereafter the Tera Player sold for 840 Euros which was a good price for such a diminutive and 'analogue' sounding DAP. Even when the cost doubled to 1680 Euros there was a valid case to be made for the Tera Player and it's uniquely organic sound. But now, NO WAY is it worth over 6,000 Euros when comparable and better sound can be obtained from the latest DAPs for considerably less cost. For example, the Questyle QP1R sounds fabulous for around 900 Euros and easily bests my Tera Player, which sounds muddy and claustrophobic in comparison to the Questyles expansive and visceral soundstage.

If any thread readers are desperate to acquire a Tera Player, you can buy mine for 1,750 Euros or much less than half the current cost. Heck, I'll even throw in a pair of modded Koss Porta Pro headphones and free shipping. :wink:

Sep 18, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #1,121 of 2,897
  I know, a few years ago the price U.S. was around $1150 and at that time it wasn't really on my radar.  Now it is, and the price is ridiculous.  I just had someone offer theirs to me for 2000 euros.  Still more than I'm willing to pay.  If the price is reasonable I will definitely pick one up.

Now that I have owned Tera for 3 years I would definitely consider picking another one up for $2000 (if something happened to my current one I would be devastated). However I would only buy a new one at $2K because I think the biggest risk owning a Tera is that we all must go back to Charles eventually to get the batteries replaced (supposedly not for at least 5 years but who knows for sure). Also, Charles is a one man show and what happens if he is no longer around to support them (for whatever reason)? Then we going to have to hunt down some local electronics expert and take chances that they know what they are doing? 

Sep 18, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #1,122 of 2,897

The current Tera Player price is just crazy and unwarranted. Especially when you consider that very early adopters (like me) purchased our units for 500 Euros. Thereafter the Tera Player sold for 840 Euros which was a good price for such a diminutive and 'analogue' sounding DAP. Even when the cost doubled to 1680 Euros there was a valid case to be made for the Tera Player and it's uniquely organic sound. But now, NO WAY is it worth over 6,000 Euros when comparable and better sound can be obtained from the latest DAPs for considerably less cost. For example, the Questyle QP1R sounds fabulous for around 900 Euros and easily bests my Tera Player, which sounds muddy and claustrophobic in comparison to the Questyles expansive and visceral soundstage.

If any thread readers are desperate to acquire a Tera Player, you can buy mine for 1,750 Euros or much less than half the current cost. Heck, I'll even throw in a pair of modded Koss Porta Pro headphones and free shipping. :wink:

hmm, that got my attention, have you heard the ZX2 by any chance in comparisons?

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,123 of 2,897

Like I said if it was reasonable I would get it.  I do have the Centrance Mini M8 coming to pair with my iPod Classic.  This should suffice for home and at the office until the right player comes along be it the Tera or something else.  No way would I drop 2000 euro or 1750 euro on it.  

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,124 of 2,897
I think everyone hearing or perception of hearing the music based on his genres, types is very different.
A while back ago someone was saying that Paw Gold is better then the Tera,and now QP1R is better.
I think if you managed to get used to Teras sound signature you,will find for sure anything else sounding way different even being much better.
Tera got his own style,and if you ask me a similar sound,but not quite is produced by Hugo only from what i experienced so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back