The all-purpose ultracapacitor-powered Vinnie Rossi LIO
Oct 19, 2014 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28
I haven't seen a thread introducing the Vinnie Rossie LIO, so I'll get things started...

This is a very appealing product, with a pick and choose modular design and off-the-grid power using ultra-capacitors instead of batteries. Really!

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/9pPigQ_5N_s[/VIDEO]

More info:

http://vinnierossi.com/?utm_source=Vinnie+Rossi+List&utm_campaign=0eac134fb8-First_VRA_newsletter10_9_2014

6Moons Preview:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/vinnierossi/1.html

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 28
Very excited for this! Not sure if we can link to other forums here, but the RWA forum over at AudioCircle has a bit more dialogue going on with Vinnie. There are, of course, a lot of options (modules) to choose from initially, but one of the default configurations is for 'just' a headphone amp, with the three-analog-inputs module, the basic resistor volume control, and the headphone amp. That configuration looks like it'll be running $3,180. DAC module is $695. 

Later this year there's supposed to be an app to remote control the unit from your phone (over BT). This will include selecting inputs, volume, balance, load adjustment for the phono stage, and who knows what else in the future.

I'm really excited for this. I have a RWA Signature 16 that sounds great, but I realized I'd much rather simplify and have a DAC built in with no need for more than one analog input for a phono pre. There's also the issue of the battery eventually needing to be replaced. LIO solves both of these - the capacitors should be much more robust, with a much higher MTBF; and the modular nature makes it like the perfectly customizable integrated.

I haven't heard LIO yet, but the Sig 16 has me convinced that Vinnie knows how to make an amp. Eagerly waiting for preorders to open up...

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 28
Extremely interesting unit!..
Wondering now what type of dac used,
and what kind of amp topology used for headphone section..
I would be shocked if the headphone amp could be class A with that type power...
The website doesn't specify yet, so Ill be waiting for those future reviews. .
:)

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 28
I would be shocked if the headphone amp could be class A with that type power...
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't know what the DAC chip is, but even that module is modular - according to the website, the chip is on its own daughterboard that can be upgraded on its own. The DAC is dual mono, and if you look at any of the interior photos of the prototypes, you can see two identical halves on the top board. 

It is interesting that there's no discussion of topology on the headphone amp. The tube pre is class A, and the power amp is class AB... but no info on the headphone amp. Info was scarce on the headphone stage of the Sig 16 too. I primarily use mine as a power amp, but no complaints with the headphone amp.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 28
I'm pretty excited! And while I'll be sure to report back when I get it (which won't be for a while), I'm not getting it with the headphone amp right off the bat, so it won't be a super useful review to folks here...

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #10 of 28
That 6 Moons link is a preview and not a review. I'm also looking forward to the actual review.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 28
[…]

FYI, Vinnie posted some more details on the DAC over at AudioCircle… chips (independent chip per channel) are Asahi Kasei AK4399. 44.1-384kHz; 16, 24, 32 bit; DSD 64 & 128 (S/PDIF limited to PCM 24/192). Toggleable phase inversion as well as two filtering modes (normal, minimum phase). And then the stuff that we take for granted these days like galvanic isolation and jitter-reducing reclocking.

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #13 of 28
I really like the idea of this, especially the ultra-capacitors, as the one thing that kept me even pondering an RWA product was if I ever had to ship the batteries.

Now all it needs (I reckon) is a balanced output for active speakers or monoblock amps (even if just using high-quality transformers).

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #14 of 28
  Now all it needs (I reckon) is a balanced output for active speakers or monoblock amps (even if just using high-quality transformers).

You may be in luck... over on AudioCircle, Vinnie said...

Early next year, I will be looking into offering Balanced (XLR) LIO INPUTS and LIO OUTPUTS modules as options for those who
will be interfacing with equipment that has BAL in / outs.

He also said that four of Slagle's autoformers won't fit in the module space designated for volume, so I guess you'd be limited to the resistor volume control with a balanced unit.

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #15 of 28
Hi Zilch0md,

Thanks for getting this started!  
cool.gif

I also posted a thread on the Sponsor's Forum, here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742354/vinnie-rossi-lio-ultracapacitor-powered-modular-hi-fi-system-is-here

Later this year there's supposed to be an app to remote control the unit from your phone (over BT). This will include selecting inputs, volume, balance, load adjustment for the phono stage, and who knows what else in the future.

Hi brhfl,

LIO comes with a full-function remote control handset, and YES - we are developing a free App (will be available for Android and iOS) that will also give the user full functionality from their smart phones or tablets.  It should be available for download early next year.

LIO solves both of these - the capacitors should be much more robust, with a much higher MTBF; and the modular nature makes it like the perfectly customizable integrated.

Yes - the Ultracapacitors should last you a lifetime (rated at > 500,000 cycles).  The best LiFePO4 batteries are rated at approx. 2,000 cycles, so it's a big difference.  Batteries store and release charge "electrochemically," which is subject to a more repid degradation.  Ultracapacitors store and release charge "electrostatically," and this is one reason why their lifespan is orders of magnitude higher.

The patent-pending implementation of LIO's "PURE-DC-4EVR" power supply is in how we seamlessly switch between two ultracapacitor banks (one is charging, while the other is powering all audio circuits 100% isolated from the external power adapter).
Both capacitor banks for voltage-monitored via a microcontroller that also controls the relay switching algorithm and charging of the ultracap bank that is not tied to the audio circuitry at the moment.  This process goes on with no time limitations like our previous battery powered units.  To the user, the LIO is either ON or OFF (all the bank switching and charging happens in the background and seamlessly).  

smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Maxx134,

I posted more details of the LIO DSD/PCM dac on our website.  There are two AKM AK4399 converters (dual-mono, so one per channel).

Headphone stage (like our MOSFET speaker output stage) is Class AB with some Class A biasing (but not pure class A at full power).  Our tubestage is pure Class A.

All voltage regulation of linear (no dc/dc converters), and there are no power supply transformers inside the LIO.  The LIO's power input is DC (from the external power adapter), so the AC/DC conversion process is external.

I'll be adding more details about every module on the website soon enough.  We're always trying to make it more comprehensive and explain things better - so thank you for your suggestions!

Hi Currawong,

We'll be coming out with a module that features BAL (XLR) inputs and output jacks for those who need them.  

All kinds of custom modules will be considered later on.  For example:

- Tubestage modules using a different family of tubes
- Headphone amp modules that are optimized for the impedance and sonic characteristics of certain brands and models of headphones.
- We've gotten requests for a plug-in audio "streamer" module 
- We'll be even working on different front, side, and top panels (different colors and the like) so you can also fine-tune the look of your LIO.  You'll
be able to order these at any time and easily install them yourself.

With LIO, you don't have to send it in for new features and future upgrades.... you just order the module (with 30-day refund policy) and plug it in.  

Future modules and features will be driven by what our customers are most interested in.  I'm listening!  
wink.gif

We're really just getting started and hope to begin production of pre-order and reviewer units in just a couple of weeks.  

Feel free to post questions and feedback as I am now subscribed to this thread and the new one I posted on the Sponsor's page - so I'll be able to get back to you
quickly.

Thanks for all your interest and support - 2015 is going to bring some really good things! 
popcorn.gif

Vinnie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back