The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
Sep 4, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #1,111 of 1,380
OK call me crazy but I decided if I was going to custom these I might as well see if I could fix the broken nozzle myself since it was a nice clean break. So I got out my trusty Loctite superglue with activator and 2 minutes later my SM3 are now as good as new
gs1000.gif

So now I am wating for a reply from Fisher audio  but in the mean time I going to try to make a pair of custom sleaves using one of those Radians Kits as this might be a very interesting solution for ultimate customization for those of us on a budget. Here is the thread talking about this. It sure looks easy to do and the video showing how to make the plug looks very straight forward and all we have to do is incorporate a section on how to set it up for the SM3. I am going to see if I can get one of these kits locally, if not I'll be buying one off of ebay for a bit less than $20.

Sep 4, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #1,112 of 1,380
So for you more technically astute SM3 owners, I have a questions. Say one do decide to have their SM3s turned into customs, how do you ensure the customs maintain that same SM3 sound sig seeing that the filters inside of the production version greatly helps shape the sound? Would a company like Fisher figure out some way to place the filters inside (which doesn't make sense to me), or would they place their own filtering technique inside of the shell somehow that may or may not affect the sound? Just curious.

Sep 4, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #1,113 of 1,380
I know the one guy who went custom in the original SM3 thread was lucky enough to have a friend who also had a pair of SM3 to compare against and I think he felt they changed a bit but not significantly.

I have sent Fisher Audio an email about filters and will post my findings. I kinda hope they might have a few typs of filters and that they can be changed out. If they do I may buy a set of them all for experimentation if I follow through on getting these customed.

Right now I have one custom impression I made that I won't be sending in to Fisher so am attempting to turn it into a custom sleeve as practice for the Radian plugs when I get them.

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #1,114 of 1,380

Quote:
So for you more technically astute SM3 owners, I have a questions. Say one do decide to have their SM3s turned into customs, how do you ensure the customs maintain that same SM3 sound sig seeing that the filters inside of the production version greatly helps shape the sound? Would a company like Fisher figure out some way to place the filters inside (which doesn't make sense to me), or would they place their own filtering technique inside of the shell somehow that may or may not affect the sound? Just curious.

When I had my Shure E500s reshelled by Fisher I had originally damaged the filter on the left side so the sound was more pronounced on the right.  When I contacted Fisher about the Reshell I had mentioned the damaged filter which they said it would not be a problem because they had replacement filters there.  Which they did do and my custom E500 still sound the same to me and there are filters in the customs.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #1,115 of 1,380
So I tried the mod (with a paperclip) and ... it sounds phenomenal with orchestral pieces. Everything is more vibrant and the treble is much more in line with the rest of the spectrum. However, with vocals, it is sibilant and a little annoying. But, I listen to mainly orchestral music, and this is amazing.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #1,116 of 1,380
Wow, this is good news. I love SM3's sound signature and would really love them not to change, so I was thinking in any unfortunate event that they should go boom I'll have them reshelled.

Quote:
When I had my Shure E500s reshelled by Fisher I had originally damaged the filter on the left side so the sound was more pronounced on the right.  When I contacted Fisher about the Reshell I had mentioned the damaged filter which they said it would not be a problem because they had replacement filters there.  Which they did do and my custom E500 still sound the same to me and there are filters in the customs.

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #1,117 of 1,380

Quote:
lately i feel like my sm3 lost balance, i feel the the left piece is a little bit stronger
did you experience the same problem?

my sm3 passed +/- 80 hours of burn in

I sent my SM3 to EarSonics asking for repair, because I realised that bass from the right earpiece is louder then the left. EarSonics confirmed that there is some problem on the left earpiece and they are going to solve them.

I know another head-fier who had this problem as well. So, in my opinion you might want to mail EarSonics to tell them your problem.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #1,120 of 1,380

Quote:
Can earsonics remold the SM3 and turn them into an EM3pro? Just hoping here.

You can remold the SM3 (at a variety of places) but it won't sound exactly like the EM3 Pro. It will have most of the performance but not all. Talk to people that have both (average_joe, shigzeo, etc.)

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #1,121 of 1,380

Quote:
So I tried the mod (with a paperclip) and ... it sounds phenomenal with orchestral pieces. Everything is more vibrant and the treble is much more in line with the rest of the spectrum. However, with vocals, it is sibilant and a little annoying. But, I listen to mainly orchestral music, and this is amazing.

Did you just push it through the filters and break them or...?

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #1,124 of 1,380
^ Yes, I removed them completely. But it isn't that hard to put the filters back in. So the mod is completely reversible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back