The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #1,291 of 4,580
That is a huge duty! Is that VAT? Thats about a third if the price of the headphones, is it not?

Thats 36.66,- VAT + 10,- duty handling... I paid ~175,-, so yes, it is almost 1/3 of the price...

Anyway, they are really good... and at ~215,- still a steal. Just got them from the post office, listening to them on the Benchmark DAC2. Spacious, clear, nice bass, deep reaching and clear. And incredibly comfortable. Once had the K702AE and now remember why I used them so much... #149 btw.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,292 of 4,580
  The good news is: they are here. At my local post office that is.
The bad news: customs got me full stop. 46.66€. Thats a pity for 4 weeks of waiting...

Too bad about those custom charges. I intended to buy these but then I started thinking about how long it would take and how much custom tax I'd be paying. Still, I suspect those cans might be worth it 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #1,293 of 4,580
  Too bad about those custom charges. I intended to buy these but then I started thinking about how long it would take and how much custom tax I'd be paying. Still, I suspect those cans might be worth it 
tongue_smile.gif

They were still cheap considering they are not too different from the K712... and they look gorgeous in all black.
Of course they are no basshead can, but I don't think you'll find a better balanced headphone at this price. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #1,294 of 4,580

They were still cheap considering they are not too different from the K712... and they look gorgeous in all black.
Of course they are no basshead can, but I don't think you'll find a better balanced headphone at this price. 

They remind me of the HD650, but slightly warmer with more vocal tilt.  The bass goes a little bit deeper, but certainly not thumpy.  They have a unique sound that I can't quite peg.  Very relaxing

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,297 of 4,580
I've followed this thread and the Massdrop K7XX discussion since November. I've seen quite a few posts on Massdrop describing the build quality of the K7XX as cheap, plastic, basically inferior to other headphones in the "7" line. Yet on head-fi, aside from the rattle issue, I haven't really seen those complaints. Is the build quality of the K7XX any different than the "7" line as a whole?

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #1,298 of 4,580
I don't think it is.

I will say the shiny white original k701 had a certain polish to it that the black frame can't really match.... And I'm glad it doesn't. But for some people that may seem like a step down. Personally I find the K7XX to be right in par with all my other k7 models throughout the years.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #1,299 of 4,580
I don't think it is.

I will say the shiny white original k701 had a certain polish to it that the black frame can't really match.... And I'm glad it doesn't. But for some people that may seem like a step down. Personally I find the K7XX to be right in par with all my other k7 models throughout the years.

Agreed... I really dig the matte black.  Also, totally worth the $200, imho for a non-rattler.  

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #1,300 of 4,580
  Most reports still sound to me like overpowering a driver not built for strong bass... If it happens way above your normal listening level -- who cares? Relevant cases are distortion at normal listening level.

I still think many of Massdrops customers were expecting something else entirely...

I wouldn't call 20mW overpowering a driver rated for 200mW. Another user reported distortion in music in bassy parts with volume under 100dB. Other music will distort above 105dB. Sounds about right since 20mW on a 93dB/mW HP brings it to around 105dB.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #1,301 of 4,580
The build seems similar to my Q701 so I don't see it being inferior in any way. I do like these if they are $200 but my Q701 I got for less in the used market so I'm not too sure about value of these yet. Of course I don't have a proper amp for these until tomorrow so I'll find out with better amplification if they are better or just different.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #1,302 of 4,580
has anyone tried these with q701 pads? if they are just like the annies, they should sound similar to the q701's with a pad change. for people with both, mind detailing any impressions of the k7xx's with the q701 pads? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,303 of 4,580
I've followed this thread and the Massdrop K7XX discussion since November. I've seen quite a few posts on Massdrop describing the build quality of the K7XX as cheap, plastic, basically inferior to other headphones in the "7" line. Yet on head-fi, aside from the rattle issue, I haven't really seen those complaints. Is the build quality of the K7XX any different than the "7" line as a whole?

IMHO the K7xx is significantly (well, maybe not significantly but at least noticeably) cheaper looking and feeling as compared to my Q701. Now I only took it out of the box one time but that was my immediate impression. Now I don't think the build is problematic and is certainly fine for a $200 can of its sound quality. But keep in mind that while a lot of paid much less for our K/Q7-- cans, many retailed originally for $400 + whereas the retail on the K7xx is $199. Something has to give. Again, just my brief impression and others may (and clearly do) feel differently.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #1,304 of 4,580
They look and feel pretty much the same to me other than the headband and the silver part being black on the K7xx. Here's a side by side I have of them.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #1,305 of 4,580
I'm getting the K7XX in a couple of days so will make comparisons then. The K7XX is meant to be based on the 65th Annies but the later model(K712 pads) Now the 65th Annie with K712 pads is, from my personal tests, the Q701 with the memory foam pads. The Q701 suffered in a minor way from the upper mid peak while the K701, K702 had it very obviously.

The K712 has an even bigger boost to that peak giving vocals a shouty effect in that region that my ears hated. 
The Q701 with the K712 pads(Newer Annie, possible K7XX) plus the K712 foam which has less pockets sounded close to the  Original Annie but more airy, spacious and less intimate. It was overall a better version of the original Annie(Small pads) as it had a better soundstage and was less congested. I actually preferred the old Annie as I like intimacy but performance wise the newer Annie is superior.

The newer Annie vs the K712  is something  I can help you with until I can confirm the K7XX sounds the same as the newer Annie
The K712 is a dryer sounding headphone that is bright. The newer Annie is neutral, less bright and again like the Q701 suffers in a minor way from the peak. Bass on the K712 was slight more present but I'm splitting hairs. The Newer Annie had more forward, present mids with a smaller soundstage. K712's mids are more pushed back as the headphone is more spacious than the Annie. Imaging is the same on both I didn't notice anything apart from the soundstage difference. 

I shall confirm later if the K7XX is identical like Massdrop said to the Annie.

Hope this slightly helps.

Finally, someone that gets it. This is probably the first post I've seen on here that understands the very minor differences between them.

As someone just stated a few posts ago, swapping the Q701 pads onto the K7XX SHOULD presumably make the 7XX sound basically like the Q701, meaning that the 7XX is undeniably based on the Annie as it has so obviously been stated by Massdrop themselves.

Whomever said the 7XX and 712 sounds the same, I feel isn't as sensitive to differences, since the Annie and 712 aren't the same. Close, but different enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back