The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #196 of 4,580
  Hm, good point. Then no need to buy. Although, it seems like it'd be a good novelty set of cans and good for gaming/movies. 

I ordered me a pair.  The HE-6 is my headphone of choice and the HD800 comes in at a very close 2nd.  However, when I owned the Annies I really liked them - heck - I liked the Qs as well to think of it.  They should be a good headphone to compliment the HE-6 or the HD800s

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #198 of 4,580
I have the Q701's, and while the iPad/Macbook can drive them, I don't think they sound very good, a little thin and with less bass response.  Plugging them into the Garage1217 Polaris, it's a whole different experience.  

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #199 of 4,580
Oh man, I just received my K612's 2 weeks ago, emailed a craigslist ad for K340's this evening AND got in on this drop (1260 i think)..... I blame Kman who told me the K7-series is better than the K6's....

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #200 of 4,580
Well, had a question I just saw was answered a few pages back.  Turns out I'm 195th to join.  I'm pretty certain it was above 200, maybe 210-220, when I joined so I guess a fair number of people have backed out.

One thing I'm looking forward to with these is not only finally getting to try the Q/K family, but the overall stealth look.  I'm glad that they decided to put their massdrop logo on the inside as well.

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #201 of 4,580
If u posted in the discussion thread of the k7xx, there should be a star next to ur name. Move ur mouse over and it should say a number like 20th to join the group buy or something lol i forgot what it says but you know what I mean

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #203 of 4,580
  Are these better than the Hifiman HE-6? I might be down for another open back if they can compare. Project86, do you have an HE-6 to compare? 

My gut reaction is "No Way!" but as I consider it in depth, there could be situations where K7XX sounds better. It depends on your amping situation - HE-6 is a beast to drive and can sound pretty unimpressive on a lot of amps. The AKGs definitely like amplification too but will sound quite good on something like a Matrix M-Stage or a Leckerton, where the HE-6 is not even stretching its legs at that point. 

Just wondering why people keep mentioning k712 production moved to China/PRC - AKG marketed these as "hand crafted in Austria". I bought a pair of k712 just last week and it does say made in Austria on both box and the phones.

I think someone already mentioned it, but there are definitely some PRC K712s out there. My theory is that they made a bunch in Austria, then moved production to PRC, so there's still quite a few Austria models on the market. Going forward, I suspect more PRC models will show up as the Austria stock becomes depleted. 

I ordered me a pair.  The HE-6 is my headphone of choice and the HD800 comes in at a very close 2nd.  However, when I owned the Annies I really liked them - heck - I liked the Qs as well to think of it.  They should be a good headphone to compliment the HE-6 or the HD800s

Nice! I don't think you'll be disappointed considering the price. I love my HD800, HE-6, Noble K10, Stax, etc and these K7XX aren't in that same tier, but I still enjoy them for what they are. In terms of performance per dollar I suppose the K7XX has them all beat. 

Would I need to get an amp to power these beauties or would my computers stock sound card suffice?

Integrated audio solutions vary in quality from one motherboard/laptop to the next. Some are absolute rubbish, others are pretty respectable for a stock solution. You can try finding reviews on your particular hardware but really the only way to be sure is to hear it for yourself. In most cases it will make loud enough sound as far as volume, but the quality may not be fully realized.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #205 of 4,580
Nov 25, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #206 of 4,580
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but according to a commenter on massdrop who emailed AKG, they are K712s with the original 702 AE ear pads.

On another note, I find the Q701s pretty bassy. Interested to hear what people who claim they are bass light are comparing them to and driving them with.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #210 of 4,580
I did not keep up with the discussion after selling my AE... was there a verified difference between AE and K712 besides the slightly angled pads, which the later AEs inherited (and were then identical I guess)?

My guess is that they are clearing inventory of a still very good driver, without ruining their own presence. Its marketed as 'Configured by Massdrop, Manufactured by AKG'. Which gives me the impression there might be a new driver for their now middle-class offerings brewing, maybe derived from the K812 driver? Pure speculation of course.

Nevertheless I'm looking forward to the all-black K7-whatever. Even though its not made in Vienna, which I, as a local resident, of course take as an offense :wink: At least my K812 still is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back