The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #616 of 6,349
So I'm looking for a confirmation. it hasn't mentioned several times the Q701 and the K 702 with the Annie pads sounds exactly the same as the Annie.

is this accurate?

Again I'm looking for a solid confirmation.
If they don't, then I'm just going to buy the Annie.

Without a doubt, the standard K702 with AE pads sounds exactly the same as the 65th AE. Likewise, the 65th AE with standard pads sounds exactly like the standard K702. Several people besides myself have tested and confirmed this as well.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #617 of 6,349
Right here. The Annie is the K702 with Annie pads, Annie headband, and Annie color scheme.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #618 of 6,349
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I appreciate the confirmations.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #619 of 6,349
If you are thinking about going with a standard K702 or Q701 and will just upgrade the pads, keep in mind there are other advantages to grabbing a K702-65 or K712 instead. Although I did not agree with this in the beginning, the new headband is immensely better than the previous bumped bands. MLE was quick to point this out early and often and I quickly dismissed it because I didn't have a problem with the standard bumped band. Well, now that I've had plenty of time with the K702-65, there's no doubt that he was completely on point with that observation. (I really need to update my review with this)

Just something to keep in mind.

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #620 of 6,349
If you are thinking about going with a standard K702 or Q701 and will just upgrade the pads, keep in mind there are other advantages to grabbing a K702-65 or K712 instead. Although I did not agree with this in the beginning, the new headband is immensely better than the previous bumped bands. MLE was quick to point this out early and often and I quickly dismissed it because I didn't have a problem with the standard bumped band. Well, now that I've had plenty of time with the K702-65, there's no doubt that he was completely on point with that observation. (I really need to update my review with this)

Just something to keep in mind.

Exactly. The headband ALONE is worth getting the K702/65, IMHO.

You CAN swap the headband on the standard K70x to a flat style K601 or K702/65 headband, but it's very hard to do, and impractical in the sense that swapping out the headband and pads to the Annie ones will make the price creep up to the Annie's anyways. That is, unless you happened to already own the standard K70x/Q701, so swapping is more cost effective. If buying new however, I'd honestly recommend just going straight for the Annies and buying the standard pads if you feel you need them. I personally don't, as I greatly prefer the Annie pads in sound, and don't see the need to swap.

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #621 of 6,349
I fear that my k701 will not merit exploratory surgery or investment in new earpads to boost bass. I'm about 15 hours into breaking in a pair of Pioneer HDJ-2000s and I'm confident that in the near future I'll only be busting out the k701s when I'm going to listen to some classical, or some Beatles. Nice cans, but I can't justify investing more in them—or buying a sequel.

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #622 of 6,349
Quote:
I fear that my k701 will not merit exploratory surgery or investment in new earpads to boost bass. I'm about 15 hours into breaking in a pair of Pioneer HDJ-2000s and I'm confident that in the near future I'll only be busting out the k701s when I'm going to listen to some classical, or some Beatles. Nice cans, but I can't justify investing more in them—or buying a sequel.

Then I suggest to play with additional damping foams: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632914/the-akg-q701-triple-3-mod
Although I've used different kind of foams but on Q701 they works like a charm. Nice and overall balancing results.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #623 of 6,349
Quote:

The K70X are not bass quantity monster, they're bass quality king, I mean if you want to Dj with the K70x just forget about it...and just get some Ultrasones. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #624 of 6,349
Ironically, the Pro 2900 has the best quality bass I have ever heard on any headphone, even better than the AKGs. The texture and definition was.... sublime. So tight, so clean....

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #625 of 6,349
Quote:

The K70X are not bass quantity monster, they're bass quality king, I mean if you want to Dj with the K70x just forget about it...and just get some Ultrasones. 

The emperor's new bass. The quality is high but not truly exceptional; the quantity is so sorely lacking, as a music producer I was alarmed that whole chunks of songs are simply ignored by the K7**. I use it for critical analysis of vocals and synth tone/texture, but the presentation is so light on bass it simply does not—can not—accurately reproduce music full-range. The spectrum it does cover, sounds great.

I have no interest in DJing. I should know better than to look to open-back headphones designed in Austria for bass satisfaction, I have 3000 watts and eight 12" subs, the effect is hard to duplicate—and I don't run 30dB hot, I like nice flat response with huge headroom. My two main cans are going to be the K701 and the HDJ-2000, with a pair of CAL!s for walking around. I like the Pioneer's take on electronic bass.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #626 of 6,349
Quote:
Ironically, the Pro 2900 has the best quality bass I have ever heard on any headphone, even better than the AKGs. The texture and definition was.... sublime. So tight, so clean....

"Best quality bass" is a very relative term, for example people often take amount of bass as a part of it and you'll never know what amount is the right one for them. For me bass produced by STAX SR-303 was indeed "best quality bass I have ever heard on any headphone", with best resolution and control where Q701 could only sit and watch. For me of course.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #627 of 6,349
The SR-407 was amazing in bass quality too, but something about the quickness, and tightness of the Ultrasone that I found just a bit better.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #628 of 6,349
What is tight bass in your book?  10% thd in the bass certainly isn't tight from an objective standpoint, it means more bass is being played than what is called for-- ie, not tight and controlled.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #629 of 6,349
I dnno what the Pro 2900 has, but it's significantly better than the Pro 900's bass. It's not flabby in the least bit, super controlled, incredibly sharp and quick to decay, and very unobtrusive. I have never heard bass that tight. Unless you wanna count something else bass shy as tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back