The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #3,346 of 6,349

Which senns did you go with?   I owned the HD650 for a short time, but didn't like that the bass couldn't keep up with metal or other fast hard hitting music.  But I did use it with a tube amp at the time so that could be a factor why it couldn't keep up.  Now that I am using a solid state amp, maybe it would fair better.

I had the HD700 for a while, they were definitely much quicker (closer the HD800) in responsiveness, but the sharp sting from the upper spikes were painful to my ears over an extended period. I went back to the HD650, but that is because it works fine with my preference of music.

I thought the 'quickness" mostly is determined by the impedance match between cans and amp.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #3,347 of 6,349

Just an update from my previous post: I am open to separate DACs & Amps as I should be able to make space in the surge protector. I do want a more powerful amp than the O2 to drive my K712's at higher volumes without any hiccups. However, my max budget for both or one unit would be around $500. Since I do have a soundcard, optical SPDIF-support would be needed.

The Emotiva Stealth DC-1 is still my top choice after reading a bit about it online. I would be open to Schiit products but I prefer the color black for my components. And from places where I buy online in the USA so I do not have to pay a ton of $$$ for shipping charges. And have CS in USA as well.

Thanks.

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #3,348 of 6,349
  Just an update from my previous post: I am open to separate DACs & Amps as I should be able to make space in the surge protector. I do want a more powerful amp than the O2 to drive my K712's at higher volumes without any hiccups. However, my max budget for both or one unit would be around $500. Since I do have a soundcard, optical SPDIF-support would be needed.

Hum you shouldn't have hiccups with o² : / , never had this problem with my former K702 65th anv , if you are using defaut gain 2.5x and 6.5x , the issue that you have may come from high gain , wich is suited for low voltage source like DAP/Phones etc

Revert back the high gain to 3.5x to see if you still have any issue . If still a problem then look to another amp .

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #3,349 of 6,349
How do these do with metal music?  I am debating about trying these or giving the hd650 another shot as I now have gone with a solid state amp and bass sounds much faster and with better decay than with a tube amp.  Hopefully someone has owned both and listens to rock music that can have fast hitting bass at times.  I wish I had gone solid state from the beginning.  I just wanted to see what tube  amps were like because of all of the hype.  It did sound great for certain types of music but I feel that solid state can play all music pretty well even though tubes can sound better but not with all types of music.

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #3,350 of 6,349

Hum you shouldn't have hiccups with o² : / , never had this problem with my former K702 65th anv , if you are using defaut gain 2.5x and 6.5x , the issue that you have may come from high gain , wich is suited for low voltage source like DAP/Phones etc

Revert back the high gain to 3.5x to see if you still have any issue . If still a problem then look to another amp .

I have the JDS version and have no skill in modifying electronics, so I have no idea on how to revert the high to 3.5x. So I am going to move on to a different amp.

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #3,351 of 6,349
Sep 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #3,352 of 6,349
  How do these do with metal music?  I am debating about trying these or giving the hd650 another shot as I now have gone with a solid state amp and bass sounds much faster and with better decay than with a tube amp.  Hopefully someone has owned both and listens to rock music that can have fast hitting bass at times.  I wish I had gone solid state from the beginning.  I just wanted to see what tube  amps were like because of all of the hype.  It did sound great for certain types of music but I feel that solid state can play all music pretty well even though tubes can sound better but not with all types of music.

I was on the same boat as you. I went with these and I haven't looked back. They're unforgiving, but I don't find them harsh like some people have said. I listen to the same mostly, acoustic rock is amazing on these. Metal is very nice. My personal preference is ....And Justice For All album Vinyl is just amazing IMO, same with Ride The Lightning. To me this is a neutral, and unforgiving. It is also very comfortable. These three reasons won me over really. The bass isn't overpowering, so will say it's bass light but with my Fiio E17 I can turn it up just a tad to take over and make you feel it. Overall I'm very impressed.

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #3,353 of 6,349

Speaking of speed and accuracy, solid state class A single stage is the better and probably only way to go

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #3,354 of 6,349
Quick question: how big are the ear cups of the K712 compared with the K550? Are they the same size or smaller? The K550 if found were rather big and irritated my check bone.

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #3,355 of 6,349
Is the AKG K712 the least bright of the AKG bunch? Looking at the graphs, the Sennheiser HD700 seem to be even less bright than the K712.

Has anyone compared the T1 to the K712 in terms of brightness and treble harshness?

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #3,356 of 6,349
Quick question: how big are the ear cups of the K712 compared with the K550? Are they the same size or smaller? The K550 if found were rather big and irritated my check bone.

Hello,

Almost the same but maybe the K712 is ted slightly bigger

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #3,357 of 6,349
Hello,

Almost the same but maybe the K712 is ted slightly bigger

Hope it helps
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the reply.

I think I will need to pass on these headphones since I found the earcups on the K550 too large and I bet I would have the same issue with the K712 too.

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #3,359 of 6,349
  Just wanted to share my setup.

http://imgur.com/eBFZZJU

So far, I am loving the sound stage.  People told me it was huge and they were right!  

Nice picture and a great looking setup!

Oct 1, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #3,360 of 6,349
I got my K712 back from them being borrowed the other day. They really are my best headphones. I also realized their drivers sound different than the Q701 after comparing them with the same pads and system for a couple days, there is inherently more body, depth, and refinement to the K712s sound compared to the Q701, soundstage and imaging is better and more 3D as well. The HD 600 has this bloomish midbass and an odd emphasis in the lower treble that outputs more sound pressure in that area than there should be. The DT 150 lacks texture in the bass with an boominess and the treble has a roughness to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back