Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread - Page 189

post #2821 of 3364
Guys, what's the model number for the K712 pads? I want to put it up on my guide. Also a cable model number would be nice. Tried looking for it.
post #2822 of 3364

Looks like the pad (they call it a 'cushion') is 5021871,

and the coiled cable is 0110E03150.

post #2823 of 3364
Hey Mad Lust Envy, have you tried rolling the pads on K712 & Annie?
post #2824 of 3364
Q701 pads made very minor changes to the K712, mostly I got the sense that the K712 magnet was producing more heat and the Q701 angled pads were keeping hot air trapped inside the cups more.

Mad hasn't had two AKG headphones at the same time... Well until recently, where he got to demo the K712 and K612 at the same time for a week, but he didn't have any K702 pads to try at that time.
post #2825 of 3364
don't know why i keep getting double posts
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/27/14 at 1:26am
post #2826 of 3364
I had the Q701 and Annie at the same time.

Q701 pads on the Annie = 99.9% Q701
Annie pads on the Q701 = 99.9% Annie

Tdock had sent me his Q701 to compare. Yes, the pads make a difference. Different enough to know that the K712/Annie pads will make the Q701 a more enjoyable headphone in bass and musicality.
post #2827 of 3364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

don't know why i keep getting double posts

I get that a lot when my connection is slow or when I clicked "submit" twice by accident

post #2828 of 3364
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

Hey Mad Lust Envy, have you tried rolling the pads on K712 & Annie?

 

I currently have a Q701, K702 Anniversary (early run), and K702 Anniversary (late run, sounds identical to K712). Putting the "k712" pads on the K702 Anniverdary (early run) yields 100% same result

post #2829 of 3364
Yeah, even without pad rolling, the K712 instantly reminded me of my early run Annie, with the pad change being the biggest difference (early Annie had thinner pads, which made the sound a little more intimate than the K712). I can TOTALLY see a late run Annie that uses the K712 pads sounding near (if not completely) identical as the K712. So it's not farfetched to believe that a Q701 with K712 pads to = near K712, not taking driver variation into account.

I would still recommend an Annie or K712 over the standard 7xx models due to the much better headband. Even the flat K612 headband lacks the comfort of the Annie/K712 headband. You'd end up spending nearly the same amount as an Annie/K712 when swapping 7xx pads and headband. The new K702 + K712 pads would be the cheapest alternative to get the K712 sound with a less comfortable flat headband. It'd make a better choice than K701 or Q701 which still have horrible headband bumps. You'd also would still have standard K702 pads for a dryer, more detail oriented sound.

If I wasn't salivating for an HE-400i, I probably would've tried acquiring a new K702 + K712 pads. Would cost me about $100 less than the K712/Annie for the same-ish sound.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/27/14 at 1:51am
post #2830 of 3364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Yeah, even without pad rolling, the K712 instantly reminded me of my early run Annie, with the pad change being the biggest difference (early Annie had thinner pads, which made the sound a little more intimate than the K712). I can TOTALLY see a late run Annie that uses the K712 pads sounding near (if not completely) identical as the K712. So it's not farfetched to believe that a Q701 with K712 pads to = near K712, not taking driver variation into account.

I would still recommend an Annie or K712 over the standard 7xx models due to the much better headband. Even the flat K612 headband lacks the comfort of the Annie/K712 headband. You'd end up spending nearly the same amount as an Annie/K712 when swapping 7xx pads and headband. The new K702 + K712 pads would be the cheapest alternative to get the K712 sound with a less comfortable flat headband. It'd make a better choice than K701 or Q701 which still have horrible headband bumps. You'd also would still have standard K702 pads for a dryer, more detail oriented sound.

If I wasn't salivating for an HE-400i, I probably would've tried acquiring a new K702 + K712 pads. Would cost me about $100 less than the K712/Annie for the same-ish sound.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

I currently have a Q701, K702 Anniversary (early run), and K702 Anniversary (late run, sounds identical to K712). Putting the "k712" pads on the K702 Anniverdary (early run) yields 100% same result

Thanks for the info! How late is considered late production for Annie though? @.@ Mine is 00285x 

post #2831 of 3364
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post
 
 

Thanks for the info! How late is considered late production for Annie though? @.@ Mine is 00285x 

 

Off the top of my head it's in the 0028xx range

post #2832 of 3364
Billison, I'm sure you're early run (mine was in the 700s and it definitely had the flatter pads). I'm sure all you need is to buy the K712 pads to make yours sound near identical to the late run Annies and K712. You're trading off a richer, more intimate mids, smoother treble for more spaciousness and treble clarity. Bass sounds just like the Annies.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/27/14 at 2:08am
post #2833 of 3364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Billison, I'm sure you're early run (mine was in the 700s and it definitely had the flatter pads). I'm sure all you need is to buy the K712 pads to make yours sound near identical to the late run Annies and K712. You're trading off a richer, more intimate mids, smoother treble for more spaciousness and treble clarity. Bass sounds just like the Annies.

alright thanks for the info! So the smaller the number, the later the production? how much are those pads? heard they are not cheap :(

post #2834 of 3364
Umm, no. The HIGHER the number. Just saying you seem to have an older run, and despite mine being high 700s, is still an early run.

edit: Oh, sorry I thought yours was 285. You're in the 2000s... hmm... maybe yours uses the K712 pads already.

Take a pic of your pad's interior. The newer ones are like walls. The older ones are more rounded.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/27/14 at 2:15am
post #2835 of 3364
I believe Chico posted this:




The differences are obvious. Shouldn't take long to see which pads your Annie is using. The later Annies use the same K712 pads, not the rounded/flatter Annie pads.

Like, I would love to have an Annie over the K712 color scheme, but I don't wanna play the serial# lottery and lose, and then have to pay for K712 pads.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/27/14 at 2:20am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread