The 10 biggest lies in audio
Jan 15, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #91 of 118
Quote:

Yes, those, for some reason the search function returned errors when I tried looking for them.

Other measures here, ICs, low impedance source, very high impedance load, typical situation of DAC -> AMP.
Full thread here: Mesures câbles modulation, que conclure ? (in French)

The first cable is a run the mill "spaghetti" "red and black" cable, the second the French equivalent a Radioshack cable, the third one a DIY cable.
- 1st cable: flat until 12 Mhz, looses 1 dB at 20 MHz
- 2nd cable: + 0.8 dB @ 10 Mhz, - 0.2 dB @ 20 MHz
- 3rd cable: + 1.6 dB @ 10 Mhz, + 6 dB @ 20 MHz
All cables are flat within audible rage and please note that the units above are in Megahertz, far far far beyond the audio range.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #92 of 118
Wow I never found these. Good stuff. Basically it tells us no cable boosts one frequency more than the others (take that, "2000$ warm cable" people!) and between cables there isn't even a difference of 0.1dB. Completely inaudible. Thank you for sharing this, it should sticky'ed on the Sound Science subforum.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #93 of 118

Quote:
Wow I never found these. Good stuff. Basically it tells us no cable boosts one frequency more than the others (take that, "2000$ warm cable" people!) and between cables there isn't even a difference of 0.1dB. Completely inaudible. Thank you for sharing this, it should sticky'ed on the Sound Science subforum.

I can't read French, so perhaps my interpretation of these is wrong.  Before jumping to conclusions, though, maybe we should look at the rest of the images in that thread:

110628035504628242.jpg

110628035712624925.jpg

Can anyone give us an English translation of the article that explains these square wave response differences in the three cables?

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #94 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can anyone give us an English translation of the article that explains these square wave response differences in the three cables?

Note that these are very high frequency square waves, one division on the horizontal axis is only 50 ns, and the level is high for about 6 divisions, i.e. 300 ns. For a full square wave with 50% pulse width, that would be more than 1.6 MHz, almost 100 times higher than the highest audible frequency. Basically, these high frequency square wave responses are what you would expect from the frequency response graphs posted above.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #95 of 118
Quote:
I can't read French, so perhaps my interpretation of these is wrong.  Before jumping to conclusions, though, maybe we should look at the rest of the images in that thread:

I would have to re-read the whole thread, but I seem to remember that the oscillations on a step signal were either a measuring artifact or some kind of non linear behavior of the cable at high frequencies, I don't remember which it was.
However, the pseudo-period of these oscillations is 27 MHz and there's no signal that rises with such a fast slew rate with real music which is a band limited signal (40 kHz max for what supersensitive microphones pick up).

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #96 of 118

Quote:

110628035504628242.jpg

110628035712624925.jpg

Hello,

I made some measurements on three "modulation" cables.
Note that I did not listen to any of the tests, so there is no conclusion.
I attached these cables in a manner that would be equivalent to an interconnect between a "liason"  (not sure if he means pre amp by this) source and an amp. In other words: low impedance (50 ohms) and high impedance (100Kohms).

After doing classic tests with sine waves, I could not see any difference btween the cables, no change in distortion, and no band pass truncation.

As the music was composed of complexe signals and diverse forms, impossible to reproduce and measure, I did some tests with breif "impulsions" which had very short rise times.

In principle, if these signals are correctly transmitted, all signals should be correctly transmitted.

The sine wave generator, Analogic 2030 is equivalent to the Rohde&Schwarz AFS and was tuned to have "impulsions" of 0,3 µS ( 300 nS) with a cadence of 1ms (1000hz) with an amplitude of 1 V C/C. The rise time is smaller than 10 nS.

sur un géné de fonctions courant, ce temps est 10 à 100 fois moins rapide. I think this means more recent equipment can measure 10-100 faster.

The oscillator used was The Hewlett-Packard HP-54510B (specs 2 x 300 mhz digital to 1GSa/S)

The spectrum analyser used was a hewlett packard HP-3585A (20zh to 40mhz)

Le pont de mesures RLC est un Tegam ESI-253, mesures à 4 points. Not sure what this is in english but it mentions measuring from 4 points.

First cable: spaghetti red/black, costing 2euros per 2 meters, with a capacitance of 960 pF,  resistance of .04 ohms, inductace of 3,5 µH, and a "résistance blindage of 0,14 ohms"

Second cable: "Pretty cable" no-name from Confo-Casto, capacitance of 422 pF, resistance of 2 ohms, inductance of 6 µH, and résistance blindage of 0,6 ohms (au mesures, il est plus merdique que le spaghetti !) *** will fix this up when I have more time****

Third Cable: Home made with care, thought to be medium "HDG" ! (will have to fix) capacitance of 117 pF, Resistance of .18 ohms, inductance of 3,8 µH, résistance blindage of 0,03 ohms.

The generator and the signal at the output (zoomed on the best parts  of the signal), with a ripple of around 15mV (of a 1 V signal, so it is negligeable)

PHOTOS

The signals at the output of the cables

More PHOTOS

Sensitivity of 250 mV/ carreau

Left image : cable 1

Center image: Cable 2

Right image: Cable 3

Zoom on the best part of the signal (point of interest?)

PHOTOS

Horror,  "over" oscillations on the "commutation":

Cable 1 : 45 mV of over oscillation  (4.5% undesirable signal)

Cable 2: 81 mV of over oscillation (8.1% undesirable signal)

Cable 3: 578mV of over oscillation (58% undesirable signal ! ! !)

**********************************************'

Will finish and touch up later today, I have to run.

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #98 of 118
I would have been actually upset if #1 wasn't cables

...according to him of course

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #100 of 118

Quote:
Likewise for every review on this site, right? It's impossible for someone to actually like a headphone, they must be paid to like it.

Head Injury FTW!! have mercy on the boy HI, he is but a youngling.

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #102 of 118
Quote:
It appears you failed to quote my redaction 2 posts later.  

Well I didn't think it was relevant because I wasn't trying to call you out on something.  Sorry if it came across wrong but I was just backing up Head Injury on the fact that Tyll and Voldermort do get along.

I was trying to point out perhaps (a bit too subtly...) to people on both sides who may be posting (like hulawafu77 since you'd already acknowledged it) or lurking that setting up NwAvGuy against Tyll is kind of silly since Tyll asked him to for help creating a suite of amplifier measurements.  How can they be "enemies" if they're working together?

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #103 of 118
lol Actually he does..I bet he never use beats to mix his songs.
Quote:
I'm gunna add to that article, 11. Dr. Dre knows how my music should sound 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #105 of 118
I'll weigh in on the subject of Tyll:  He's a pretty cool guy, eh measures headphones and doesn't afraid of anything.  

This thread reminds me of a funny thing about hearing perception.  There was this game for the PS1 called Armored Core where you controlled giant robots.  The robots has a foot fall sound they made whenever they walked, and for the longest time I thought the that left and right feet made slightly different noises for years, but eventually I really listened closely and realized both feet made the same noise.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back