TGXEAR discussion thread.
Oct 28, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #212 of 1,869
What are the "stock" foams for tgx earbuds (waiting for mine) ?

Oct 28, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #213 of 1,869
I'm curious if anyone experimented with foam cover rolling on the TGXear sets, and what were the results?

I know @tgx78 is tuning the sets for the foams included, and his tuning is absolutely incredible. But, while perfection can scarcely be improved upon, I wonder if other synergies have been found.

I've experimented a bit but generally find the stock foams match up very well. Donuts on the Alpha seem to increase 'air' but make things less organic in tonal balance. Full, 'denser' foams than stock (I think VE but can't be sure) flatten the image, take away some detail and generally make the things less energetic - this might be an idea for longer listening sessions for those that find them too bright or aggressive but represents a diversion from what I feel makes the Alpha special.

As for Serratus, donuts make them even more resolving but too 'sharp' for my tastes. Full 'denser' foams are actually quite flattering. There's less transparency and greater note weight which adds to the realism for me but admittedly there's a 'smoothing' of fine detail. This takes away some of the Serratus' character, that in my opinion is largely defined by its TOTL resolving power.

It's all a matter of taste at the end of the day and I would just encourage people to spend a few weeks with the stock foams and get to know the signature as it was intended then explore other foams. The stock ones were a well-measured decision and there's synergy there, no doubt about it.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #214 of 1,869
What are the "stock" foams for tgx earbuds (waiting for mine) ?
My Serratus shipped today, and I'n anxious to try them all!

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #215 of 1,869
I will say as someone who has absolutely no problem with mx500 or ok or bell shaped buds, I absolutely could not wear og apple buds for long without pain.
Thanks for the reply!
I guess so many years ago my ears were just more sensitive. After a few years of trying so many IEMs, I'm sure my ears can tolerate some buds for a good listening session at least lol

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #217 of 1,869
Oct 29, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #218 of 1,869
As an older guy, I ordered an assortment pack from VE (ex pack) and I use the most transparent foams. I also have very big ear openings so I use the rubber surrounds underneath the foams. I’ve tried using donut foams over regular foams as well as the rubber over regular foams. The donuts over regular foams was too dampening as it doubled the foam over the rear vents. The rubber over the foam wasnt super comfortable but my current set up of rubber rings under the transparent foams is perfect. I get a great fit and the rubber keeps the foams slightly elevated off the surface of the face of the earpiece and my superstitious side likes that little air gap as I think it gives the sound a little more “air” in the literal sense.. probably makes no difference but so much of sound quality depends on mood.. ha ha

Oct 29, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #219 of 1,869
So there's hope! Lol
I was looking at your IEMs in your profile. If you can fit the Mest in your ears. I think you will do fine with trying out buds. There is hope. I bet your ears was physically smaller when you had those apple buds.

One easy way to find out is if you can go to your local walmart and get yourself a cheapest generic bud you can find just to see how it fits into your ears. If they are wearable for over 15 minutes. Your golden.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #220 of 1,869
I was looking at your IEMs in your profile. If you can fit the Mest in your ears. I think you will do fine with trying out buds. There is hope. I bet your ears was physically smaller when you had those apple buds.

One easy way to find out is if you can go to your local walmart and get yourself a cheapest generic bud you can find just to see how it fits into your ears. If they are wearable for over 15 minutes. Your golden.
That's a great idea! Thanks!
Yeah the Szalayi are also quite massive.

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #221 of 1,869
Something from my recent road trip...

Serratus visits Half Dome (Yosemite National Park - California)
Serratus visits Half Dome.jpg

A peaceful evening with Half Dome at sunset (Yosemite National Park)
Half Dome sunset.jpg

Oct 30, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #222 of 1,869
Something from my recent road trip...

Serratus visits Half Dome (Yosemite National Park - California)
Serratus visits Half Dome.jpg

A peaceful evening with Half Dome at sunset (Yosemite National Park)
Half Dome sunset.jpg
Stunning!

Oct 31, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #224 of 1,869
Just got my Serratus today!

MacBook 16 pro —> Tidal w/Audirvana or Apple Music —> silver usb cable -> Mojo2 —> Serratus. There’s not much if anything holding back me hearing things as intended. Just listed to some rap and it was deep and rumbling, Phil Collins w/ in the air tonight, Lana Del Rey w/ Born to die and National Anthem - the fireworks in the beginning pops on the latter song.

Can’t feel them in my ears, which likely means I can wear them all day.

Treble is a little elevated/thin on the top end - but it might be my ears adjusting coming from Shure 846, apple air pro Max, 99 classics etc.

I can definitely live with the treble and I can always EQ a little, but I am hearing things differently for sure and in a good way.

Thanks! Definitely a treat and not a trick… Halloween pun…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back