TGXEAR discussion thread.
Oct 14, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #166 of 1,869
Which TGX buds give the best groove, attack and slam with low-tuned guitars metal music?
Jim recommended the Tantalus and he was right. Sounds fantastic.

Oct 14, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #167 of 1,869
Keep in mind I have the Tantalus. The differences with crossfeed are very subtle, but it works surprisingly well. When choosing maximum crossfeed (blue), it sounds lively and the soundstage gets even wider. Also the Mojo2 peaks a lot of details, combined with the bass texture and notes weight it's just fantastic.
Seems like mojo 2 able to drive it. thanks friend

Oct 14, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #168 of 1,869
I don't believe at all in the concept of audio gear not made for all genres of music. To me it doesn't make sense. For example good bass is critically important in classical music, contrary to the clichés. All genres of music cover all the spectrum of the FR.
A good headphone or earbud can have a special flavour and have it's unique FR and timbre which will give it a unique "personnality" but it has nothing to do with genre.
Classical music has bassy music (baroque), super midrange music (opera), etc etc etc...There's no headphone that is better FOR classical music, any good headphone will be good in all genres.
Why do people ask what earbud / IEM / headphone is best for the types of music (genres) they listen to? Why do people give suggestions of what earbud / IEM / headphone is best suited for certain types of music (genres)? Is everybody wrong then?

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #169 of 1,869
I don't believe at all in the concept of audio gear not made for all genres of music. To me it doesn't make sense. For example good bass is critically important in classical music, contrary to the clichés. All genres of music cover all the spectrum of the FR.
A good headphone or earbud can have a special flavour and have it's unique FR and timbre which will give it a unique "personnality" but it has nothing to do with genre.
Classical music has bassy music (baroque), super midrange music (opera), etc etc etc...There's no headphone that is better FOR classical music, any good headphone will be good in all genres.
Hmm... I get it. :)

I admit that I used to think that way until I was lucky to have the experience of experiencing many different sets with different genres of music.

In the course in my journey in audio, my personal experience (YMMV of course. :) ) kinda forced me to acknowledge that genre does matter... due to a variety of reasons including personal preference.

For example, for me, a generally well recognised "good" IEM, my ER2XR, will not quite play hip hop/rap tracks (such as ) that require a significant amount of bass to my liking. Whereas my Maestro Mini does this song justice.

My Maestro Mini then does classical pretty badly because there's just too much subbass.

Speaking of classical, timbre matters a lot in this genre and some of my sets with not so good timbre can give make instruments sound... digital. Like it was played with a keyboard rather than a real instrument and thus for classical my preferred weapon of choice is earbuds as the timbre is more correct and violins for example sound like violins rather than a digitally sampled violin if this makes any sense...

I also recently stumbled upon a genre (Jrock) that sounds surprisingly bad on most of my sets (including all of my expensive sets) that only some of my midfi sets play competently (Mahina played it the best for my tastes if you are curious. :) ). You can try it for yourself and let us know what you think.

Of course, ultimately if in your experience, if all your music sounds good with a good set you own then all the more power to you and you can save a lot of money.

There's no need to agree with the consensus and ultimately your personal enjoyment is what matters the most. :)

Hope you are happy and well 😊. 🙏

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #170 of 1,869

I admit that I used to think that way until I was lucky to have the experience of experiencing many different sets with different genres of music.

In the course in my journey in audio, my personal experience (YMMV of course. :) ) kinda forced me to acknowledge that genre does matter... due to a variety of reasons including personal preference.

For example, for me, a generally well recognised "good" IEM, my ER2XR, will not quite play hip hop/rap tracks (such as ) that require a significant amount of bass to my liking. Whereas my Maestro Mini does this song justice.

My Maestro Mini then does classical pretty badly because there's just too much subbass.

Speaking of classical, timbre matters a lot in this genre and some of my sets with not so good timbre can give make instruments sound... digital. Like it was played with a keyboard rather than a real instrument and thus for classical my preferred weapon of choice is earbuds as the timbre is more correct and violins for example sound like violins rather than a digitally sampled violin if this makes any sense...

I also recently stumbled upon a genre (Jrock) that sounds surprisingly bad on most of my sets (including all of my expensive sets) that only some of my midfi sets play competently (Mahina played it the best for my tastes if you are curious. :) ). You can try it for yourself and let us know what you think.

Of course, ultimately if in your experience, if all your music sounds good with a good set you own then all the more power to you and you can save a lot of money.

There's no need to agree with the consensus and ultimately your personal enjoyment is what matters the most. :)

This is what we call..a good answer

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #172 of 1,869

Good answer indeed. Maybe I should limit myself to say that it is absurd to call classical music a genre as it is way too varied.
A madrigal of Monteverdi (4 different ranges of voices), a fantasy of Telemann for solo clarinet and a Wagner opera are all put in the same genre: classical music.
And if you say « orchestral » again you have so many types.
Given the diversity of « classical music » it is meaningless to call it a genre.
But indeed it makes sense to say « this earbud shines with such and such instrument in particular » etc. Even though i can appreciate different flavours of headphones for different caracteristics of the same instrument.
Do you like the cello to rumble ? Do you like to hear it crisp to the last detail or more velvety ?
So what is the best headphone for the cello ?
Makes little sense. So i seem to contradict myself a bit here, I keep coming to my initial position: different headphones are different presentations. I will sometimes enjoy a darker or clearer presentation of any given album depending on my mood.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #173 of 1,869
Good answer indeed. Maybe I should limit myself to say that it is absurd to call classical music a genre as it is way too varied.
A madrigal of Monteverdi (4 different ranges of voices), a fantasy of Telemann for solo clarinet and a Wagner opera are all put in the same genre: classical music.
And if you say « orchestral » again you have so many types.
Given the diversity of « classical music » it is meaningless to call it a genre.
But indeed it makes sense to say « this earbud shines with such and such instrument in particular » etc. Even though i can appreciate different flavours of headphones for different caracteristics of the same instrument.
Do you like the cello to rumble ? Do you like to hear it crisp to the last detail or more velvety ?
So what is the best headphone for the cello ?
Makes little sense. So i seem to contradict myself a bit here, I keep coming to my initial position: different headphones are different presentations. I will sometimes enjoy a darker or clearer presentation of any given genre depending on my mood.
Those are great points! 👍

Oct 15, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #174 of 1,869
I'm new to this thread and the brand. I first heard of them on HBB review. Just ordered the Serratus and I'm excited! Also have VE Asura 3.0 on the way, along with a Megatron. But my main setup is a Jot2/ Bifrost 2/64.

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #176 of 1,869
Is the power of QLS361 enough to drive Tantalus or amp needed?
I never heard the QLS361 but it has 320mW @300Ω, so it will be more than enough juice for the Tantalus. I personally have no problems driving it from the DX320 with AMP12 or the Mojo2.

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #177 of 1,869
I never heard the QLS361 but it has 320mW @300Ω, so it will be more than enough juice for the Tantalus. I personally have no problems driving it from the DX320 with AMP12 or the Mojo2.
Thank you! I’m not good at mW/Ohm stuff😜.
Does Tantalus have big peaks at 2-6 kHz region or there is no hurt?

Oct 15, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #178 of 1,869
Thank you! I’m not good at mW/Ohm stuff😜.
Does Tantalus have big peaks at 2-6 kHz region or there is no hurt?
No hurt for me. It's a neutral earbud with some added warmth.

Oct 16, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #179 of 1,869
No hurt for me. It's a neutral earbud with some added warmth.

I want to try the Tantalus, and while I hate to raise this 'genre' focus again, I think it could cover my metal/rock stuff 'better' than Alpha.

I guess I may as well mention my own thoughts on tunings and genre 'utility'. For me, it comes down to the balance between ear gain + clarity and supporting bass. I prefer more bass to ear gain for 'aggressive' music like metal because of the somewhat harsher instruments and the need for a full body to deep percussive hits, while for jazz and classical, I prefer less bass to ear gain + clarity, because I want to hear the detail and character of the instruments.

So for me, I suppose its less about genre and more about what instruments are involved and how I want those instruments presented (as @Serge Bernamej pointed out). For simplicity, and it's definitely an oversimplification, I do still say x will play y genre 'better' but that's always down to my own preference.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #180 of 1,869
I want to try the Tantalus, and while I hate to raise this 'genre' focus again, I think it could cover my metal/rock stuff 'better' than Alpha.

I guess I may as well mention my own thoughts on tunings and genre 'utility'. For me, it comes down to the balance between ear gain + clarity and supporting bass. I prefer more bass to ear gain for 'aggressive' music like metal because of the somewhat harsher instruments and the need for a full body to deep percussive hits, while for jazz and classical, I prefer less bass to ear gain + clarity, because I want to hear the detail and character of the instruments.

So for me, I suppose its less about genre and more about what instruments are involved and how I want those instruments presented (as @Serge Bernamej pointed out). For simplicity, and it's definitely an oversimplification, I do still say x will play y genre 'better' but that's always down to my own preference.
Genre definitely plays a part. My sets that play Jazz well don't necessarily play Metal well at all to my tastes and vice versa.

I'm a full believer that library matters. It may not be genre per se but library can make a huge difference to what sets you enjoy.

Alpha doesn't sound good to me with Metal BTW. :) Tantalus sounds much better. Though that being said... Metal is quite a big genre with countless subgenres...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back