Team Mini
Jun 17, 2007 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Usagi

1000+ Head-Fier
I happen to be a proud new member of Team MINI as of four days ago. This car turns heads on a normal basis and is very fun to drive. The only down side is that it was just rear-ended today. Unfortunately it'll be in the shop for the next month. Whatever deity you choose to believe in can be so cruel at times.
cry_smile.gif

Mini Cooper S

A motorcycle and new car in under two months is a little more than Mrs Usagi might allow. Therefore, my beloved PS-1s might have to pay the ultimate price. Keep an eye on the For Sale forums.

Jun 17, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 21
Sorry to hear, I hope you and the other drive are well. Since you were rear ended I have to assume it was not your fault. If that is the case check your yellow pages for company that specializes in devaluation of your car.

Specifically your car even after it is repaired will be worth less than an identical car. This because most buyers would rather buy a car that has never been hit. Anyways with the analysis of a company that specializes in car devaluations you can go to the insurance company of the guy who hit you to recoup:

1. Fee for the appraisal by the company specializing on devaluation of your car
2. Actual car devaluation
3. Sales tax on the amount your car has devalued by

Finally I hope the other company is paying to rent you a car. Good luck.

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

mrarroyo Sorry to hear, I hope you and the other drive are well. Since you were rear ended I have to assume it was not your fault. If that is the case check your yellow pages for company that specializes in devaluation of your car.

Specifically your car even after it is repaired will be worth less than an identical car. This because most buyers would rather buy a car that has never been hit. Anyways with the analysis of a company that specializes in car devaluations you can go to the insurance company of the guy who hit you to recoup:

For those that don't know and if mrarroyo doesn't mind my thoughts on his post, I think it is appropriate to say that if the damage $ amount exceeds a certain level, (at least in our state) your car title will have "SALVAGE" stamped on it for any future owners protection. Even though it may be good as new after repairs, it will not be worth the same price of an exact similar vehicle when you sell it. Therefore this should be discussed with the insurance company for loss of value. Personally I don't know if they make adjustments for this since it never happened to with a car I owned needing repair, but I did get burned on a repaired car I bought for my son (ignorance of what a Salvage title would mean when I sold it later) and found out how hard it is to explain the title to the buyer.
mad.gif
I hope this helps.
BTW Usagi, how is gas mileage on your nice toy?

Jun 17, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 21
I have a soft spot for minis. They are (at least were) buggers to work on though. Do 75mph in one and you'll really feel like you're moving - you ass is only a few inches off the ground!!

My brother has a 1972 one, pretty rare model, one that was trimmed by authi in Spain. I think theres <10 of them left now. He rebuilt it himself from the ground up. 1300 high lift cam engine. Like you say, it draws looks.

Fran

Jun 17, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hear, I hope you and the other drive are well. Since you were rear ended I have to assume it was not your fault. If that is the case check your yellow pages for company that specializes in devaluation of your car.

This is very good advice that I failed to consider. I knew that there was a devaluation problem, but I didn't know that one could shift that responsibility onto the insured. I will have to look into this come Monday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the team Usagi. Here's our 2005 John Cooper Works S:

wheel1.jpg

Fun little bugger to drive. We love it.

A_Sr.

That's a beautiful car. I understand that it has roughly 50+ hp more than than my "S". I just watched a promotional video on the John Cooper Works the other day. What is the cost of the upgrade? Was it worth every penny? Here is the promotional video watch: Here

This car serves as a morning and afternoon treat on my 50+ mile daily commute. The hard part now is dealing with the choice of lackluster rental vehicles offered by Hertz, Budget, etc.

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that it has roughly 50+ hp more than than my "S". I just watched a promotional video on the John Cooper Works the other day. What is the cost of the upgrade? Was it worth every penny?

The upgrade is pretty expensive. At the time it was a dealer added option package only. Now they do it right on the assembly line. It actually adds 40 HP, taking the S from 170 to 210. It was worth it to us. The car can be scary fast - 210 HP in 2600 lbs. is a pretty good power to weight ratio.

Hope you get your S back soon, and in good shape. MINI motoring can be way too much fun.

A_Sr.

Jun 18, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 21
So many traditional Mini owners and lovers can't stand the new "BMW" version, but I think they're absolutely gorgeous. Glad you're ok and I hope everything works out well with the poor thing.

I must say the only thing I don't like about the new Minis are their pricetag. I know you're getting what you're paying for, but I'm slightly more inclined to get an old beater to toss around a rally now and again!
biggrin.gif

72869732_a9b0fab7c4.jpg

Jun 18, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So many traditional Mini owners and lovers can't stand the new "BMW" version, but I think they're absolutely gorgeous. Glad you're ok and I hope everything works out well with the poor thing.

I must say the only thing I don't like about the new Minis are their pricetag. I know you're getting what you're paying for, but I'm slightly more inclined to get an old beater to toss around a rally now and again!
biggrin.gif

72869732_a9b0fab7c4.jpg

The money went towards a lot of things, the old one certainly can't survive this in 1 piece, especially it's occupants.

got it from another forum I frequent.

Quote:

My bro and his gf were involved in a pretty serious road accident yesterday evening on the M5. They actually had to close the whole motorway in both directions for a number of hours.

The whole sequence of events is quite detailed but I will save that for when all the insurance/police stuff are out of the way. The end result for my bro was he basically ended up hitting the central reservation @ 70 ish and then rebounding into a lorry. The lorry somehow flipped on its side and skidded towards by bro and the central reservation which resulted in them both going through the central reservation from the north bound direction to the south bound direction.

The mini flipped 4 - 5 times and landed on its roof.

When I heard what had happened I thought he would be dead or seriosuly injured for sure. The overall injurys to his gf is just soreness from the accident and for him a fairly painful full, arm length gravel rash but nothing serious.

I am sure that when you see the below pictures you will agree with me that they are very lucky and the Mini did amazingly to protect them.

These are the pictures.

img0380sd1.jpg

img0381ni4.jpg

img0384df7.jpg

img0386xw5.jpg

img0387iz5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back