Team HD800 challenge!
Mar 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #153 of 185
Could try OTL Tube Amp... EarMax Pro Silver Edition!

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #154 of 185
I figure this is as good a thread as any.

Since I first found out that I was getting orders to korea and that I would be getting rid of my speaker rig and buying new headphones to take instead. I knew I would be getting a pair of Sr-009s. They were literally the first time in my life that I have heard an audio transducer and just knew from the first moment that it was something I had to have. First time I was swept off my feet by the music I would say. Sure there had been other times that I thought it sounded very good, great even, but never like this.

The problem, is that it was recently brought to my attention that the 009s are still having imbalance problems. I thought that this had been solved after the first run. It saddens me to see so many TOTL cans having issues. Looking at my other options, the LCD-3s, which i don't have a problem with the weight, but the headband sits on just one edge due to the angle of the drivers and bugs the crap out of me. Also it had problems, though i guess mostly gone at this point, and in Audeze's favor they are very quick about fixing all problems. The HE-6s, which people are still blowing drivers in, on a somewhat consistent basis, and it seems to always take months, from anecdotal evidence, to get a replacement back on them. And now I hear that when you do have a problem with your 009s, they also take forever to get back.

I think I'm a bit tired of all the problems and issues with TOTL cans. I know its the bleeding edge, but you don't hear about speakers having similar issues all the time.

So I really just have one option, the HD800s, I don't think I have heard of anyone having major problems with them other than the sound. And while they don't blow me away like the 009s do, they have in more recent times at least impressed me.

So my question is, what amp under 2k do I get with them? I've always wanted a tube amp, and I figure the 800s are a great can to jump into those waters with. I think I have it narrowed down to the Eddie Current Super 7, or the ECP Audio L-2. Both of which have loads of amazing impressions. and are both described as having amazing micro dynamics and inner detail. Also both being more on the SS sound side of things rather than the typical tube sound. Radio_Head has even said that the L-2 is more so than the S7. What do the rest of you say?

The other option being a Mjolnir, which I loved with the LCD-3s when I had them.

This is all just a what if though really, cause I am not sure I will be able to stop myself from getting the 009s, regardless of the problems, they sound entirely too good for me to able to stop myself most likely. Plus I think the problems might be blown a bit out of proportion.

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #155 of 185
Under $2000 there is only one option I liked enough to keep the HD800 around... Burson Soloist. Over $2000 run don't walk straight to the GS-X mk2.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #156 of 185
Quote:
I figure this is as good a thread as any.

Since I first found out that I was getting orders to korea and that I would be getting rid of my speaker rig and buying new headphones to take instead. I knew I would be getting a pair of Sr-009s. They were literally the first time in my life that I have heard an audio transducer and just knew from the first moment that it was something I had to have. First time I was swept off my feet by the music I would say. Sure there had been other times that I thought it sounded very good, great even, but never like this.

The problem, is that it was recently brought to my attention that the 009s are still having imbalance problems. I thought that this had been solved after the first run. It saddens me to see so many TOTL cans having issues. Looking at my other options, the LCD-3s, which i don't have a problem with the weight, but the headband sits on just one edge due to the angle of the drivers and bugs the crap out of me. Also it had problems, though i guess mostly gone at this point, and in Audeze's favor they are very quick about fixing all problems. The HE-6s, which people are still blowing drivers in, on a somewhat consistent basis, and it seems to always take months, from anecdotal evidence, to get a replacement back on them. And now I hear that when you do have a problem with your 009s, they also take forever to get back.

I think I'm a bit tired of all the problems and issues with TOTL cans. I know its the bleeding edge, but you don't hear about speakers having similar issues all the time.

So I really just have one option, the HD800s, I don't think I have heard of anyone having major problems with them other than the sound. And while they don't blow me away like the 009s do, they have in more recent times at least impressed me.

So my question is, what amp under 2k do I get with them? I've always wanted a tube amp, and I figure the 800s are a great can to jump into those waters with. I think I have it narrowed down to the Eddie Current Super 7, or the ECP Audio L-2. Both of which have loads of amazing impressions. and are both described as having amazing micro dynamics and inner detail. Also both being more on the SS sound side of things rather than the typical tube sound. Radio_Head has even said that the L-2 is more so than the S7. What do the rest of you say?

The other option being a Mjolnir, which I loved with the LCD-3s when I had them.

This is all just a what if though really, cause I am not sure I will be able to stop myself from getting the 009s, regardless of the problems, they sound entirely too good for me to able to stop myself most likely. Plus I think the problems might be blown a bit out of proportion.

On the decision path again I see.  Why not step it up to a EC 2A3x4 if you don't go with the 009s.  The 009s plus a KGSSHV will be more than the HD800 and an EC amp..  Wouldn't it?

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #157 of 185
I'm probably going to be yelled at for this one, but I'd suggest you give the Benchmark DAC2 a listen.
This is a DAC with a headamp. To me it sounds better than a lot of the other ~2k USD amps/dacs I've tried.
I use mine for my HD800 (stock cable) and SR-009 (SRM-323S/LLmk2)

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #158 of 185
For the HD800 you'd be set with either the L-2 or any version of the Dynalo (GS-1 or GS-X).  Match the output impedance and they are very similar and I must say I quite like the L-2 design.  Doug was even nice enough to send it to me so I didn't have to retrace the bloody thing.  Not many MOT's are confident enough in their designs to do that. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #159 of 185
I have been very pleased with the Decware amps...CSP2+ (The new CSP3+ is due any day now) and the Taboo MK III.

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #162 of 185
I
You find csp2+ vs taboo mkiii with hd800?
t is a great combo! I would expect the CSP2+/Taboo MK III combo would compare favorably to most higher end HP amps.

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #164 of 185
Csp2+ is the logical choice compared to the mk II. I haven't heard the III, nor the hd800, but FWIW the beyerdynamic T1 came alive with the csp2

Frank I found the mk III and 800 a great match. Longbow might be able to compare csp2 versus mk III when/if he gets time?

Jul 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #165 of 185
CSP2+ is a perfect match for the HD800's. the Taboo is fun and energetic. I use both as I also have speakers in the loop so the CSP2+ spends time as the Pre-amp to the Taboo's amp role. If I were 100% HP. I would go CSP2+ for Sennheiser cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back