Team colourblind: are you in it?
Jan 14, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #32 of 82
Sex and Foety Fie.

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #33 of 82
I was told by my optometrist that I was colourblind pretty young. It destroyed the dreams I never had of being an astronaut or a pipe-worker.

I'm blue-purple colourblind, though. Red and green are fine, but I don't see purple as purple, and any two close-together colours (dark reds, light browns for example) give me trouble.

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #34 of 82
Wow, that site with it's colorblind simulator is scary. I had little idea people were missing so much
eek.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #35 of 82
But can you really miss something you never had to begin with?

Jan 14, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #36 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But can you really miss something you never had to begin with?

No, but you can certainly envy the full-sighted when you hear, "Actually, that's purple," all the time.

Jan 14, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #37 of 82
I'm not colour blind but I know someone who was. I forgot it at times as I was with him doing some soldering, it was a little dark and he was trying to solder onto solder mask so I say:

"What are you doing"
"Soldering onto this ground plane"
"How are you going to get solder onto it, there's a solder mask over it"
"Well it looks exactly the same as the pads to me"
"What, it's bright green."
"I'm colourblind remember"
"Oh yeah"

I'm amazed he hasn't had any crashes at traffic lights or anything as there's quite a few that are near us that are a struggle for me with my normal vision to see as they're in really bad spots where they cop a lot of glare and you can't tell which colour is lit. I don't even know how he manages.

Jan 14, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #38 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that site with it's colorblind simulator is scary. I had little idea people were missing so much
eek.gif

now you know.

so next time you quiz a colorblind person "what color is THIS? what color is THIS?" maybe stop and think about that before you publically humuliate them (not you personally, smeggy
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #39 of 82
My job requires me to not be colorblind. Fortunately, I am very good with colors.

When I was in college for Design, I had a class mate that was color blind with mostly magenta/purple. He kept making everything that was purple look hot pink. LOL.

-Ed

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #40 of 82
Funny thing, this thread reminds me of Tim Burton's Edwood movie where Ed Wood asks someone which color sweater they liked better, and the person remarked, "I'm color blind, go for the darker gray one."

Oh, and that movie is how I got my online name sake.
wink.gif

-Ed

Jan 14, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #41 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your wife is indeed not a carrier, then none of your children will be color deficient. However, every single daughter of yours will be a carrier. Sorry.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're joking and want to scare those guys who are color blind into thinking that all their descendents will be colorblind, shame on you
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
Since it's a recessive gene, it's very unlikely to have the condition or to pass it on: 8 percent of American males are color blind, and about.64 percent of females are. Since there's only 8 percent of the male population that's colorblind, that doesn't mean that 1/4 of women are carriers. The only time that a female is definitely going to be a carrier is when her father is color blind (if it's due to heridity). Color blindness is recessive and needs to be on both X chromosomes for a female to be color blind, so that's why it's very hard for a female to be a colorblind. There can be a one in four chance that a woman who carries the gene can pass the color blindness gene off to her offspring. There's at least a fifty percent chance that a son will be color blind if he has a color blind father. If a daughter has a father that's colorblind and a mother who is a carrier, then the odds of her being able to pass down the gene are greater (as basic phenotyping uses probabilities of one of the 4 chromosomes that may be passed to the next generation). Just correcting the misinformation: it's also not true that 1 out of every 8 of the X chromosomes in the world carries a color blindness gene....you're forgetting that phenotyping is used for specific gene matching
biggrin.gif

Since I illustrate anatomy, luckily I'm not color blind
icon10.gif
There are various forms of color blindness, so this isn't as simple as one gene though.....to add another cog
biggrin.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenotype

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #42 of 82
rolleyes.gif

look, colorblindness is a minor disability. sometimes it excludes us from things (many jobs for example). now take someone with a major disability, like being confined to a wheelchair. would you say to their face, "i'm glad i'm not you!" or "you're missing so much in life!"?

clue in, folks. do it again and i'll pick on you individually.

Jan 14, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #43 of 82
As for me, as was merely saying that I'm glad it worked out that I have good sight so that I could be an artist. I don't view color blindness as a disability, as you can still see when you're color blind. It just means that I'd find it much harder to be in the field that I'm in if I had it. I'm sure Stevie Wonder is thankful that he has perfect hearing.....just because he's blind, doesn't mean he's less of a person. Sorry if it sounded like I'm rubbing my face saying that my vision is good. I have other weaknesses, where I'm sure you excell in redshifter!

Jan 14, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #44 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for me, as was merely saying that I'm glad it worked out that I have good sight so that I could be an artist. I don't view color blindness as a disability, as you can still see when you're color blind. It just means that I'd find it much harder to be in the field that I'm in if I had it. I'm sure Stevie Wonder is thankful that he has perfect hearing.....just because he's blind, doesn't mean he's less of a person. Sorry if it sounded like I'm rubbing my face saying that my vision is good. I have other weaknesses, where I'm sure you excell in redshifter!

well, it is a sore spot and sorry for caling you on it. i called it a "minor disability", a distinction made clearly by me, so that you would understand that i do not consider color-blindness in the same catagory as say true blindness.

what you may not know is that i'm somewhat gifted as a painter, but i'm fairly limited in my subject matter because of my different color perception. almost every job i've had required color recognition of some sort. the few times i point out i'm colorblind, the response is always a surprised "then why are you working here?" because even colorblind people need to eat (yes i actually said that to a customer once). would i tell an employer i was colorblind unless specifically asked? no.

i've been ticked off about this since my kindergarden teacher yelled at me for coloring my squirrels with green crayon.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #45 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been ticked off about this since my kindergarden teacher yelled at me for coloring my squirrels with green crayon.
rolleyes.gif

Calling color blindness a "minor disability" is a good point: you listed some interesting examples of when it's been a problem for you. But at least you have your sight and can work around it, so it's not a full disability like blindness. Good for you for defying your kindergarden teacher. I've been drawing for as long as I can remember, and I remember my kindergarden teacher saying we had to color within the lines. That floored me, because I wanted to draw my own lines!!!!
icon10.gif
Maybe it's not so much what we're born with, but what our kindergarden teacher says we can't do that determines what we'll do in life
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back