Tea-Fi?
Aug 30, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #196 of 750
Anyone else here had Lyons? After two weeks in Ireland I really learned to like the stuff.

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #197 of 750
I got started on tea about a month ago (just bags for now) and for a quick cup in the morning, I found Red Rose Orange Pekoe to have a very very light coffee taste and not overly herby.

I've been considering order a loose leaf starter kit from a website that comes with a variety of teas and probably will by the time I get the rest of my vacation pay.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #198 of 750
I like herby. The more herby, the better. I've been rocking Republic of Tea's British Breakfast (at night) and Harrison and Crossfield's Earl Grey.

I just found this place. They have really nice stuff.

http://www.serendipitea.com/default.aspx

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #199 of 750
Those looking to try Japanese green tea should try the $3 (shipped!) sampler from Den's. I found it to be much fresher than the sencha from the mall. I myself just bought a black kyusu, 56g of loose organic sencha, and a few flavors of cold brew iced tea- a couple of my friends are also going to put in orders.

Oh, and the $3 is refunded if you put in an order of $15 or more. I highly recommend at least checking it out.

Edit: Be sure to follow the brewing instructions carefully. 60 seconds means 60 seconds, any more and the tea might become unthinkably bitter. Same with the water temperature. Follow the instructions first, experiment later.

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #202 of 750
Relaxing with some Ginseng Oolong and listening to Opeth's Damnation
dt880smile.png

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #204 of 750
Yes, do tend to buy in Hong Kong as I don't travel frequently at all. Personally, think decent quality Chinese tea is overpriced (like most other things) in HK.

Chinese tea is much cheaper and fresher in Taiwan though.

Quote:
Say, do you buy your tea locally?

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #206 of 750
I get if off a shop on G/F at Jusco (Taikoo MTR exit). I get a small discount and have been a customer for quite a few years. Their Taiwan oollong isn't bad - but frankly I ain't too discriminating.

Quote:
Well I don't get to travel outside of Hong Kong so I was just wondering who you normally get your tea from in Hong Kong.

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #207 of 750

Ahhh, ok.  I'll take a look the next time I'm over there.  I normally get my tea at Ngan Kei Heung in Sheung Wan.  Not the cheapest but I like their house pu-er teas.  There's also Sing Seng Tea in TST or Causeway Bay but I think they are a little overpriced so I only buy from them if I find something that I really like.  I just picked up a beng of pu-er from them the other day and it has been growing on my as I have been drinking it.

Quote:
I get if off a shop on G/F at Jusco (Taikoo MTR exit). I get a small discount and have been a customer for quite a few years. Their Taiwan oollong isn't bad - but frankly I ain't too discriminating.

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #208 of 750
Bought tea from Sheung Wan years ago - so nice greade Pu-er, but too lazy to head that way these days. Probably a better deal than alot these new shops that know how to package stuff and thus charge more.

Quote:
Ahhh, ok.  I'll take a look the next time I'm over there.  I normally get my tea at Ngan Kei Heung in Sheung Wan.  Not the cheapest but I like their house pu-er teas.  There's also Sing Seng Tea in TST or Causeway Bay but I think they are a little overpriced so I only buy from them if I find something that I really like.  I just picked up a beng of pu-er from them the other day and it has been growing on my as I have been drinking it.

Oct 2, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #209 of 750
I just bought a sample of some Darjeeling silver needles white tea from the local tea shop. Brewed at a low temperature for about 45 seconds in my gaiwan results in an almost clear, mind blowingly delicious infusion.  A good mouthfeel and absolutely no bitterness or astringency.

But then I am a big fan of Darjeeling tea
biggrin.gif
 Has anyone tried that new tea that Samovar is carrying, the white tea processed as an oolong? http://shop.samovarlife.com/Royal_Garland_Oolong_Tea_p/0301roga.htm

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #210 of 750
My new favorite source for tea is Gong Fu Tea right here in Des Moines. Their Honyama Sencha is by far my favorite pure Sencha out of what I've tried so far:

1. Specialteas: 675 Sencha Extra Fine (all around average)
  2. Den's Tea: Sencha Fuka-Midori (second favorite, less refined than the Honyama Sencha)
  3. Den's Tea: Organic Sencha (too grassy for my tastes)
  4. Den's Tea: Pyramid Tea Bag Sencha (removed from bag for brewing, on par with Specialteas 675 but of course different)

I believe many of you will find their videos to be of interest. On their India trip they visited the Makaibari Darjeeling estate whose tea I have a sample of from Specialteas! Seeing where my tea is from has made me more appreciative of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back