TDK BA200 Thread
Apr 29, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #1,352 of 1,509
FYI, joker finally wrote up a formal review for the BA200 on his site (he hasn't updated his thread with the review yet) but check it out:

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/tdk-ba200/
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #1,353 of 1,509
  FYI, joker finally wrote up a formal review for the BA200 on his site (he hasn't updated his thread with the review yet) but check it out:

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/tdk-ba200/
beerchug.gif

Can't say I agree about the build quality, oddly enough that big Y split didn't bother me much. That could of been an excuse to use a bit of a tougher cable. Hopefully they don't drop out completely, it's almost like the drivers ended up in the wrong earpieces. Refine the sound more and stick em with better housing/cable and they could have my money all over again. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #1,354 of 1,509

Can't say I agree about the build quality, oddly enough that big Y split didn't bother me much. That could of been an excuse to use a bit of a tougher cable. Hopefully they don't drop out completely, it's almost like the drivers ended up in the wrong earpieces. Refine the sound more and stick em with better housing/cable and they could have my money all over again. 

I actually thought the build quality was pretty good.  Other than the Y split catching on things I was never really worried about them. Then again it may just be that I take really good care of my stuff.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,355 of 1,509

I agree, I've not had any build issues myself and as long as you're mindful of the y-split it's no issue, but comparatively it can be a bit obtrusive.  

So, your pair is out of commission if I read correctly?  I've been thinking about picking up a broken pair to tinker with - I really like the sound of these like most of us here, but I want to see if I can A) add detachable sockets as there should be enough room in the shell or B) reshell them in a DIY custom shell:

(similar to this, should be possible as there seems to be room)

I also want to investigate the Boucherot cell (impedance stabilizer in the y-split) and see if the component values can be identified, and either make it into an adapter which could plug into the end of a standard detachable cable or make my own adapters from scratch.  This will also afford the opportunity to try them without the impedance stabilizer on different sources and see how well it's implementation actually is, and if it is necessary for some sources.  If my suspicious are correct, using  a DAP with a really low output impedance shouldn't make much of a difference (the Clip+ for example) so if that is true, they could be re-cabled.

Anyway, if you or anyone has a pair that has seems to no longer work and want to send/sell them for a good cause (science!) shoot me a PM and we can work something out!

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,356 of 1,509

Will check them out.  Thanks for the heads up. 

Here is the thread on them:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/665111/zero-audio-zh-dx200-carbo-tenore-zh-dx210-carbo-basso-carbon-aluminium-iem-information-appreciation-and-impressions-thread

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #1,357 of 1,509
Isn't it true that the housing has no effect on a BA's sound quality? The whole purpose of a BA driver, as I understand it, is to absolutely tune and control the sound. Just think of how similar sounding all the dual BA models out there are.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #1,358 of 1,509
  Here is the thread on them:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/665111/zero-audio-zh-dx200-carbo-tenore-zh-dx210-carbo-basso-carbon-aluminium-iem-information-appreciation-and-impressions-thread

I've already been hard at work reading, and the tenores are going to be my next pair of IEMs.  :)

Do you think they'll be easier to source in North America in time, or is it a case of just sucking it up and using the forwarding service?

I will do a comparison between the tenores and the two TDK models when I eventually get them.  I'm a convert to dynamic driver IEMs and the fact the tenores supposedly seal fairly well for dynamics has me very intrigued.  I like the IE800's more than the BA200 because of the openness of the DD. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,359 of 1,509

I also want to investigate the Boucherot cell (impedance stabilizer in the y-split) and see if the component values can be identified, and either make it into an adapter which could plug into the end of a standard detachable cable or make my own adapters from scratch.  This will also afford the opportunity to try them without the impedance stabilizer on different sources and see how well it's implementation actually is, and if it is necessary for some sources.  If my suspicious are correct, using  a DAP with a really low output impedance shouldn't make much of a difference (the Clip+ for example) so if that is true, they could be re-cabled.

I *think* there may have been some people on a chinese audio forum that cracked the case of the TDK impedence stabalizer, so it's worth digging a bit to see if you can find their information.  I know it was something rin found interesting when he did a review of the BA200. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,360 of 1,509
  Isn't it true that the housing has no effect on a BA's sound quality? The whole purpose of a BA driver, as I understand it, is to absolutely tune and control the sound. Just think of how similar sounding all the dual BA models out there are.

Mostly, yes unless the drivers are vented, but I don't believe that is the case with the BA200 (but if so, I will find out).  The idea was more to incorporate the components of the Boucherot cell into the housing itself, but we shall see.

I *think* there may have been some people on a chinese audio forum that cracked the case of the TDK impedence stabalizer, so it's worth digging a bit to see if you can find their information.  I know it was something rin found interesting when he did a review of the BA200. 

Yes, it was actually on a Japanese blog discovered and documented (by one of many Japanese IEM enthusiasts) and was posted earlier in this thread as I've recently discovered: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584123/tdk-ba200-appreciation-thread/1320#post_10369151

So, it should be manageable to at least make this into an adapter if not incorporate such a design into a shell with the drivers itself.

May 1, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,363 of 1,509

I've already been hard at work reading, and the tenores are going to be my next pair of IEMs.  :)

Do you think they'll be easier to source in North America in time, or is it a case of just sucking it up and using the forwarding service?

I will do a comparison between the tenores and the two TDK models when I eventually get them.  I'm a convert to dynamic driver IEMs and the fact the tenores supposedly seal fairly well for dynamics has me very intrigued.  I like the IE800's more than the BA200 because of the openness of the DD. 

You can buy them on Amazon or Ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0093VVP0Q/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_all?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZERO-AUDIO-Inner-Ear-Stereo-Headphones-CARBO-TENORE-ZH-DX200-CT-/251515463227

Let's move future conversation to the Zero Audio thread :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back