TDK BA200 Thread
Mar 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #1,321 of 1,509
  Could you elaborate or supply a link?  Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683986/review-tdk-ba200-my-new-favorite-100-iem#post_9892974
Refer to the pictures I've posted there.
Essentially the little red silicone rings come with Monster branded IEM tips packages. Not sure if all of them have it or only specific packages. Or if they sell them individually.

What they are, is a sleeve for namely Shure IEMs (and others with thin nozzles) so you can use standard IEM tips.
That said, the sleeve doesn't necessarily make the nozzle size exactly like a typical nozzle, but almost. Especially in the BA200's case. To boot, standard IEM tips tend to have different bore size, so all in all some tips will still fit a bit too loosely.

Basically it opens the choice to most existing IEM tips on the market. Deep insertion remains something difficult to do with those on though (or at least for those of us with smaller ear canals). I've yet to try with standard bore size dual/triple flange due to simply not having any, and also how I usually can't stand anything longer than single flange... but the larger opening could possibly open up the mids.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,324 of 1,509
I don't think it's a great deal. Last summer many of us were scooping these up for $120 on Amazon, and that lasted a while. I'm not totally up to date around here, but I remember the BA200 being the most attractive sounding dual BA, and that's why I bought it.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,326 of 1,509
  Has anyone had a pair of BA200s reshelled? I was considering this with inearz. Any thoughts on what it would do to the sound.

I know people in Japan who have reshelled it themselves (they're DIYers).

The short answer is that you can reshell it, but the impedance adapter won't be included.

Also, a 2.2 uF capacitor needs to be attached to the tweeter for the two drivers to crossover as originally intended, because the original crossover was integrated with the impedance adapter unit.

InEarZ will know what to do with it. Their IE-P250 uses the same driver, except with the PCB board pre-attached to the drivers. That driver works the same way as the one in the BA200, so Lil' Fish will be familiar with it. He could actually tune it in multiple ways, or just keep the original sound signature.

As with most reshells, you'll usually hear greater bass resolution and extension (because of the better fit) and probably a little more perceived bass quantity, and more prominent mids (again because of the better fit).

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #1,328 of 1,509
I know people in Japan who have reshelled it themselves (they're DIYers).

The short answer is that you can reshell it, but the impedance adapter won't be included.

Also, a 2.2 uF capacitor needs to be attached to the tweeter for the two drivers to crossover as originally intended, because the original crossover was integrated with the impedance adapter unit.

InEarZ will know what to do with it. Their IE-P250 uses the same driver, except with the PCB board pre-attached to the drivers. That driver works the same way as the one in the BA200, so Lil' Fish will be familiar with it. He could actually tune it in multiple ways, or just keep the original sound signature.

As with most reshells, you'll usually hear greater bass resolution and extension (because of the better fit) and probably a little more perceived bass quantity, and more prominent mids (again because of the better fit).

Thanks for the info. I am even more excited about this now. One thing I am concerned about though is the impedance. Do you know what I should expect without it?

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #1,329 of 1,509
  Thanks for the info. I am even more excited about this now. One thing I am concerned about though is the impedance. Do you know what I should expect without it?

The lowest the impedance will ever get is 22 ohms, at 4.2 kHz. It will be 75 ohms at 1 kHz, but that's just a number, since it varies throughout the frequency range. So, take the DC resistance as an approximate marker --- it's around 42 ohms. If you have a DAP that has <2.5 ohm of output impedance, then you should have high enough a damping factor to drive them adequately.

Mar 17, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #1,331 of 1,509
UPDATE: Japanese DIY enthusiast UmeAudio actually figured out the impedance adapter Boucherot network on his/her own.

These are the findings:

Original Link: http://p.twipple.jp/GuqBG

Original Link: http://p.twipple.jp/Vk814

Keep in mind that I would not recommend using off-the-shelf parts for the inductor; unless they're hand-wound, through-hole and SMD inductors are pretty noisy, especially when they're that close in proximity to the drivers.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,332 of 1,509
I picked up my pair 3 days after Christmas at a tjmaxx near me. I have checked back a few times and tdk products don't seem to be arriving anymore. I still haven't given up but I am not optimistic.

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,333 of 1,509
I just got a pair of TDK BA200's and find them very interesting. I am really enjoying them and they are definitely a unique sounding IEM.

A few observations:
- I have gotten a good seal with the large bi-flanges but, for some reason, the left ear doesn't always seal right away. If I push them in too far, the sound isn't as good. It seems like I have to provide a little effort to put them in but they don't work if I try too hard.
- Highs--very subtle. Their very good and smooth but definitely not bright. They don't seem rolled off as everything seems there, they're just subtle and smooth.
- Mids--they don't have forward mids but the mids are definitely very strong. The vocals are amazing though. So liquid smooth. I love them. The only weird part is the vocals are always very forward. The vocals seem like the singer is standing much forward from the band to me, and this is on different songs and genres. I've never heard anything quite like it.
- Bass--solid sounding but seems recessed. It's all there but just not very interesting. However, once amped the bass really came alive. I felt a little thump and the bass extended much deeper. I thought the highs and mids came out a little more as well. The bass was the biggest improvement amped though.

Like I said, I don't have anything quite like the BA200's. I have the TDK IE800's and they seemed to be tuned similarly (which I like) but are very different in the way it's presented. I have a BSG Cmoy 18V with AD8620 on low gain setting and it sounds great. This works well with my Q701's as well. With the IE800's, I like the high gain setting better. The dual dynamic just sounds better with a brighter presentation to me whereas it's the opposite for the BA200.

I have to admit I don't care for these as much without amping. I'd rather grab the TDK800's without an amp. Seem to be keepers though.

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #1,334 of 1,509
I'm glad to see others that have experience with both the IE800 and the BA200.  I bought the BA200 a few months ago and have barely touched it because I tend to reach for the IE800 instead.  I think I have a fit issue, which is weird considering the housing appears to be so ergonomically made.  I think it might be due to nozel length (short). 

I believe those two IEMs represent the best value in portable audio.  I paid $130 for both IEMs.  Hard to imagine finding better value than that...

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #1,335 of 1,509
I'm glad to see others that have experience with both the IE800 and the BA200.  I bought the BA200 a few months ago and have barely touched it because I tend to reach for the IE800 instead.  I think I have a fit issue, which is weird considering the housing appears to be so ergonomically made.  I think it might be due to nozel length (short). 

I believe those two IEMs represent the best value in portable audio.  I paid $130 for both IEMs.  Hard to imagine finding better value than that...

I'm really enjoying both, for a similar but different sound. I can say that I don't enjoy the BA200 very much unless amped. I find I usually listen to new headphones when I first get them. After a few weeks of listening, I start settling into a favorite, so we'll see what that is. I really enjoy the blues and the IE800's make guitars sound awesome. I will definitely be open to trying TDK products in the future. I guess I always thought of TDK as a throwaway brand or a brand that made cassettes back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back