Taboo
Dec 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #18 of 64
Amp looks really nice Frank! Congrats.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #20 of 64
I was wondering how speaker amps work with high impedance phones.
These amps are normally designed for speakers of 2-8ohm impedances yet people are succesffully using then with headphones of 50ohms or more.
Anyone have experience of using phones of 300-600ohm impedances with speaker amps?

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #21 of 64
It works better with the LCD2. It does work well with the T1 but the CSP-2 is much better because it is an OTL. I will be trying HE6,HD800<HE600and 650 in a couple of weeks and review all of them with the 2 piece setup at the end of the months. It is really a revelation with the LCD2 and also enjoying the Single Driver speakers with this setup.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #22 of 64

Quote:
It works better with the LCD2. It does work well with the T1 but the CSP-2 is much better because it is an OTL. I will be trying HE6,HD800<HE600and 650 in a couple of weeks and review all of them with the 2 piece setup at the end of the months. It is really a revelation with the LCD2 and also enjoying the Single Driver speakers with this setup.

Thanks for the reply.
I have the T1's on route and I am also interested in a speaker amp for HE-6's, preferably one I get get on a trial basis, and the Virtue Sensation M451 with tube buffer tweaks my interest and I would like to be able to use the T1's on that (or other speaker amp) without any major issues.
As far as I understand high impedance phones on an amp designed for speakers is likely to cause a shift in amps frequency response. Obviously that may just as well be a good thing as bad.

So is it fair to say that using a speaker amp is only recommended for low impedance phones?

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #23 of 64

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.
I have the T1's on route and I am also interested in a speaker amp for HE-6's, preferably one I get get on a trial basis, and the Virtue Sensation M451 with tube buffer tweaks my interest and I would like to be able to use the T1's on that (or other speaker amp) without any major issues.
As far as I understand high impedance phones on an amp designed for speakers is likely to cause a shift in amps frequency response. Obviously that may just as well be a good thing as bad.

So is it fair to say that using a speaker amp is only recommended for low impedance phones?

The reason I decided to go the route I did was because i also wanted nearfield single drive monitors for this system. What is neat I use the CSP-2 for the high impedance and as a preamp for my Taboo. The Taboo has a volume control and can be used separate but is more dynamic with the CSP-2. It is also a great match with the LCD2. Being in the US and it is built here made it attractive because the Decware pieces come with lifetime warranty. I also like the tube rolling options in both amps and really also enjoying the Omega Super five monitors I bought. My Maggie system has seen very limited usage since the headphones arrived.

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #24 of 64
Just popped in a new production Genalex EL84 matched set. For the money 59.00 matched by Jim McShane my favorite vendor I like the liveliness and dynamics I am hearing. More lively than the Sylvania EL84 I had in there but time will tell as they burn in if they become my favorite tubes. Very nice tubes built like a battleship. Appear to be very rugged The amps sound  great both with the LCD2 and driving the Omega monitors with the Outlaw Sub.. Looks like I can take a break from buying more gear as this stuff will keep me happy for a very long time

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #25 of 64
Very nice. Very very nice. I'm still waiting for my Taboo to pair with the CSP2+.

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #26 of 64
After spending time with the EL84 family I read up on the Hazen mod that Steve Deckert di to accomodate the SV83 tube types. The Genelaxe did change the sound being not a lush tube type but had a very extended top maybe best I have heard in the amp so far, the Sylvania was lush with very good bass less extended top end and the 6P tube Steve supplied while being Russian military tube was the most powerful warm with very nice detail and extended sound stage. For me this is the tube of preference for now. The Sylvania would be my second choice and then Genelx and Golden Dragons. Another change was the GE 12BH7  which Rob had sent me and it is my favorite tube so much so I bought another one for backup. I did notice big differences with some 12AU7 the Sylvania add more bass but gives up some in sound stage width and vocal focus. The RFT was very nice but nothing really special but better than the Cifte 12AU7. I have not tried 12AT7 which I will seek out some for comparison. One thing is the amp changes and can be made to get both the sound that you want and the bass you desire. But as always you need to stop and listen for a bit to decide what will work best. It can be an adventure but that is what makes owning tube amps so much fun. For the time being I am us 6P15iPin place of the EL84. It is my favorite in the amp so far with the 12BH7 that Skylab as a friend sent me and I appreciate both his knowledge and friendship and for getting me back into the tube game after missing it for two years after the sale of my Convergent Audio Preamp and Conrad Johnsom Premier 11A which I still miss those pieces I am enjoying the new world of lower powered SE Triode and Pentode amps and more important headphones which I have learned so much with this community. One thing the passion is still with me for the 34 years in the hobby.  My review will be posted in the next few weeks but in all honesty you cannot go wrong with the Decware amps they are that good.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #27 of 64
What's great is that there is only one input tube that you need roll. Have you ever tried a E80CC? I have a few Philips tubes that I used in place of the 12AU7.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #29 of 64

Quote:
What's great is that there is only one input tube that you need roll. Have you ever tried a E80CC? I have a few Philips tubes that I used in place of the 12AU7.

just ordered two Mullards one 12AT7 and one 12AU7 from Kevin Deal at upscale he also has EL84 Mullards but 95.00 each is too rich for my blood.

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #30 of 64
The Tendrils of Sound

The CSP2+ preamp is barely two months old. The Taboo is just two days old and they're getting along famously. Sweet sounds for a sweet Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back