Taboo
Dec 25, 2010 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Frank I

Columnist/Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
The Taboo showed up yesterday. I only spent some very little time late last night listening to the LCD2 in the custom made jacks and sound is more open very extended and classical full range does not clip. The amp will have to be burned in before I can give detailed review and impressions but very promising indeed. I believe this amp is going to be perfect for low impedance cans and musical with very nice detail.

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 64
Great to hear you got it ok Frank!

Two great pairings now: Taboo --> LCD-2 and CSP-2 --> T1s
L3000.gif

Looking forward to your impressions and Merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 64
I can't wait to demo the Taboo at my local dealer. Hopefully sometime next month.

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 64

Quote:
I can't wait to demo the Taboo at my local dealer. Hopefully sometime next month.

I didn't realize that Decware also sold through retail. Cool.

BTW, you do realize that the Taboo is a speaker amp that Frank has custom made to have a headphone out...it is the only one like it (at least for now).

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 64

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't realize that Decware also sold through retail. Cool.

BTW, you do realize that the Taboo is a speaker amp that Frank has custom made to have a headphone out...it is the only one like it (at least for now).

they don not except they do have a Canadian Distributor if you look on the website not sure he has anything.

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 64
He has one US retailer that I happen to live 45 minutes away from :)

I am mistaken on the model...I was thinking of the Zen Triode...I just didn't get to try it out last time I was there. Either way...I am looking forward to try it out as well as DECWARE's DAC that is supposed to be in stock at the store in the next couple weeks.

The two retailers (one US, one Canadian) DECWARE is working with now are listed at the bottom of the article.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20025983-47.html?tag=mncol;txt

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #7 of 64

Quote:
He has one US retailer that I happen to live 45 minutes away from :)

I am mistaken on the model...I was thinking of the Zen Triode...I just didn't get to try it out last time I was there. Either way...I am looking forward to try it out as well as DECWARE's DAC that is supposed to be in stock at the store in the next couple weeks.

The two retailers (one US, one Canadian) DECWARE is working with now are listed at the bottom of the article.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20025983-47.html?tag=mncol;txt

Interesting that Steve gave product to one or two guys but its alll good. The Taboo was designed for my LCD2 and its the first one that Decware has done. The amp has plenty of potential especially when you start rolling tubes. Skylab sent me some very nice driver tubes and some EL84 and I just rolled the driver and like the sound of the GE BH7. Very detailed with great mids and very nice bass. Rob thanks for being a good friend

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 64
Looking forward to more impressions. Does it support 5751 tubes by any chance? I've been looking for another tube amp to replace my Mapletree to drive both LCD-2 and Grado's. This seems like the perfect fit. I'm liking it's simplistic design, efficiency, and approach. And the fact that it's a speaker amp is another plus. 

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 64
Congrats Frank! I have really liked the Decware amps I have owned, and continue to really enjoy the Mini-Torii. Looking forward to pics :D

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #10 of 64

Quote:
Congrats Frank! I have really liked the Decware amps I have owned, and continue to really enjoy the Mini-Torii. Looking forward to pics
biggrin.gif

I really like this setup Rob especially with that GE tube you sent me. Wow its breaking in and the sound is perfect for my headphones. I am using the CSP-2 as the preamp and it really takes the Taboo to another level. Steve Deckert did a super job and will get pictures posted on the righ and amp this week I promise. look for a detailed review in about 4 weeks.

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #13 of 64
The Taboo is settling in nicely. It is a huge difference from the OTL CSP-2. Running with the CSP-2 as a preamp gives the LCD2 power finesse and still maintains the SET flavor is sound. The biggest difference is less compressed sound stage, The classical demanding albums are handled with ease and no signs of any stress or clipping. Planars in general love high current and power. The Taboo is providing all of that and it is still burning in. I am enjoying the 12BH7 GE driver and I will start swapping some tubes as I have the Golden Dragon EL84 and a pair of Sylvania EL84  coming with a Sylvania 5U4G to replace the stock Ruby tube it came with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back