T-amp has arrived!
Mar 22, 2005 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Feanor

1000+ Head-Fier
First impression: so small! I was expecting something bigger from the pics. And it sounds good. I was using it with batteries, I tried a 12V psu (just something I found laying around) but the amp started buzzing audibly (the amp ITSSELF) and started getting warm, so I said no thanks. I'll have to buy a dedicated psu for it.
I tried it with my mom's 6 Ohm bookshelf's and our (!) floorstanding 8 ohm speakers, just for the heck of it. It can drive the small bookshelf speakers to painful levels, especially with the mpx as a preamp. The sound was nothing special, but neither are those speakers. However, this little beast could drive the floorstanding-max-200-watt speakers real loud too. And there was no loss of bass, it had a nice sound. After a while I changed back to the integrated amp and it did perform more effortlessly, but the T-amp was going off 8 AA batteries. WOW! I am waiting for my paradigm atoms now, so I wont be able to use this little jem too much, but it is real nice.

Mar 23, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 26
I'll have to look into the psu thing, I'll buy a regulated 13V psu for it.

I got the T-amp from the FS forum here, I was lucky and my WTB post was responded to fast.

The tiny thing really is a marvel, my EE friend and mom were both amazed that the t-amp+pcdp combo could drive the big speakers with authority.

Mar 23, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
I'll have to look into the psu thing, I'll buy a regulated 13V psu for it.

I got the T-amp from the FS forum here, I was lucky and my WTB post was responded to fast.

The tiny thing really is a marvel, my EE friend and mom were both amazed that the t-amp+pcdp combo could drive the big speakers with authority.

Authority? Wait 'til you try some >3Amp regulated linear PS for some real authority out of SI.

For some serious fun with SI, check out this version

http://www.michael.mardis.com/sonic/maunakea.htm

Mar 23, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
When did you order yours? I ordered mine from ecost well over a week ago and it still hasn't arrived.

I ordered from eCost over a month ago, no dice
frown.gif
They quoted me availability last week, but it doesn't seem to be in stock yet.

Mar 25, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 26
The paradigms arrived today, and I also got a regulated 12V 1200mA PSU, and this is great! I'm listening to the atoms right now, great sound!

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

WOW! Blown away by this combo, I think my senns will be getting less love in the future...

I've been running this combo for around four months and I've all but retired my headphones since. Now you just need to add a subwoofer. And don't forget to get in on the "new" Millett pre/head-amp PCB group buy when it happens pretty soon. It's being discussed in the DIY subforum now. The Millett + T-amp + Atom/subwoofer combo is a cost-effective way into some really nice sound.

-coma

Mar 26, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by SportaJoe
Yes ive been enjoying mine for a couple months now. Amazing isnt it. Whats your source?

My source is an EMU-0404 into a singlepower mpx as a preamp. I'm happy with the setup now.
biggrin.gif

comaberi, I already have a nice pre(+head)-amp, boy am I glad I asked for the pre-outs with it. How could I add a subwoofer to the setup? I have 2 channel audio going all the way from source to speakers. Also, I dont realy have a problem with the bass. Can you recommend a good quality sub?

Mar 26, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

My source is an EMU-0404 into a singlepower mpx as a preamp. I'm happy with the setup now.
biggrin.gif

You're *probably* okay then
tongue.gif

Quote:

comaberi, I already have a nice pre(+head)-amp, boy am I glad I asked for the pre-outs with it. How could I add a subwoofer to the setup? I have 2 channel audio going all the way from source to speakers. Also, I dont realy have a problem with the bass. Can you recommend a good quality sub?

You were smart to get the pre-amp outs. I suspect you'll enjoy your speaker rig a _lot_ in the months to come. If you get a subwoofer with line-level RCA inputs, you can probably just split the signal out of your Singlepower using Y-adapters like these to the T-amp and to the subwoofer amp.

091-510m.jpg

091-1045m.jpg

If the sub has a single mono-RCA input, you may need to combine the signal with a stereo to mono Y-adapter before plugging into the sub. It just depends on your sub/amp/crossover. I personally have an Infinity Kappa 12.1 in a slightly undersized and sealed enclosure connected to an AudioControl Richter Scale Mk.3 (crossover, bass EQ, splitter) driven by a ~250-watt mobile amplifier powered by a 35-amp Astron linear PSU (similar to the 4-amp Astron PSU driving my T-amp). I could just run the whole thing off the 35-amp PSU if I wanted to.

The bottom line is that the Atom/T-amp combo is truly sweet for the money and just that much more impressive once you add a tight, musical subwoofer.

-coma

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Wow... I'm definitely getting this thing now..

It'll probably fix my speaker issues temporarily!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aman, I definitely suggest getting it, its dirt cheap compared to the quality. This combo of atoms+tamp is giving me clarity I have never before experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back