Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jul 14, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #16 of 2,336
left_coating.jpg

This should really bring out the grattle. Grado has always been pathetically half-assed in bringing the grattle sound to the forefront, where it belongs.

Kidding. . . looks interesting.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #18 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A layer of plastic on the driver and a new metal baffle with a special matched screw (whatever that is)? That's it?

Also:
-Plastic yoke replaced with metal yoke.
-Plastic/Wooden (SR325 / HF2 ) driver enclosure replaced with metal

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #20 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where's our resident millionaire? The people want reviews of a Magnum 325is/MS-2i/HF-2 + APS V3 recable NOW! (What is that like...$1200?
biggrin.gif
) Perhaps all three as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Paging HeadphoneAddict....
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 2,336
Interesting approach, but the price is a bit steep. They should sell the alu fork seperately, there would be propably a great market for that product.

Coating of the driver is very significant, to me at least. That supports my recently developed suspicion that diaphragms get tuned by different coatings, and that's propably the way a SR125 gets transformed into a MS1.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #24 of 2,336
hmm full aluminum? i'm not sure if that will make it sound better, if anything more aluminum would probably make the tone brighter and sound more metallic. i'm sure grado labs have tested out full aluminum before sticking with the final designs. and i don't get why they would limit production to only 100 cans?

"because of its surpassing strength and stiffness, aluminum is acoustically inert—the very best material for sound reproduction, adding nothing to the sound quality, and taking nothing away."

is this even credible? i don't know of any other headphone company that uses aluminum besides grado.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #25 of 2,336
It's intriguing but seems spendy.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #26 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should sell the alu fork seperately, there would be propably a great market for that product.

Agreed. And, if they built an aluminum rod lock mechanism with a tightening screw, they would sell a buttload IMO.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #27 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm full aluminum? i'm not sure if that will make it sound better, if anything more aluminum would probably make the tone brighter and sound more metallic. i'm sure grado labs have tested out full aluminum before sticking with the final designs. and i don't get why they would limit production to only 100 cans?

is this even credible? i don't know of any other headphone company that uses aluminum besides grado.

HP2 and PS1 are full alum, and they are arguably the best sounding, most neutral (HP2) Grados. Not bright at all. The reason current Grados don't use full alum is not due to sound ...

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #28 of 2,336
Wow great find with that 325 deconstruction website! I didn't realize that they incorporated plastic inside the metal housing as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm sure grado labs have tested out full aluminum before sticking with the final designs.

On their lower end models it probably doesn't make sense financially. Their HP and PS model headphones I believe had full metal housing, while The PS1000 they probably could have gone with metal but opted for wood for probably sonic reasons (because they can name their price at that point).

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #29 of 2,336
interesting...if anyone opts for this upgrade, i will definitely be waiting to hear your impressions. if impressions are positive, i might have a go with this with the 325i. the SR325i Magnum would sure sound nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #30 of 2,336
And how about their weight? Maybe they become really heavy and quite unbearable for long term listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back