Surge Protectors
Aug 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 6
Yes they do work. I would recommend buying one if you own high-end or expensive electrical equipment. Also, there are lots of other companies that sell surge protectors other than Belkins. IMO, I think that all surge protectors are the same no matter what brand they come from. Just make sure you get a surge protector that can handle the highest amount of joules possible within your budget.

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 6
Yes, they work. I agree that any brand is good as long as it handles enough power.

A couple more things:

1. Don't expect any sound benefit or detriment from a surge suppressor. Don't get suckered into "audiophile grade" this or that. All it does is pass power unless it's too much power. Then it shuts down.

2. Even with a surge suppressor, unplug everything if an electrical storm rolls through. We had one here Saturday night, so I unplugged the computer, TV, stereo and associated gear. The surge suppressor might work, but I'm not going to risk it.

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 6
There's a few different technologies out there and of course there are pros and cons to each. Some work better than others in terms of response time. In most cases, you'll find MOVs in surge protectors because they are cheap and quick to respond to a surge. There's also newer tech like series mode suppressors which last longer but are usually bulkier. 

For cheap, general protection, I've had good luck with Panamax. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back