Superlux Express Train
Jun 4, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #901 of 1,352
I prefer the clarity of the 668 over the newer 240.  The old school 240's were fantastic, the new ones are not even comparable.

I was replying to the fact that you said they failed at trying to emulate the sound of the 240, they did not, they have more in common with a Dt990 witch also has a treble spike and enhanced bass.
the k240 doesn't have enhanced bass. Lower mids and a small portion of the upper bass by 4db yes... The clarity? Goldenears.net ranked the k240 as less boomy, more analytical, more natural, and more balances than the superlux hd668. The k240, sorry to say, is much more linear and neutral in its response. I somehow come to doubt you have tried the new k240. Its the same headphones as the K240 Monitor from the 80's. While it may not be a sextett, it was designed by akg to at least be almost as good as the sextett. They had a bunch of people compare the sextett and the monitor to make sure it at least came close... Which it did.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #902 of 1,352
HD681 is quite neutral up to 5 kHz. After that it's spiky but if you manage to lower spiky treble it become much better headphone. Bass is bit boomy but if you add a loose 50mm cotton wool pad (with a hole in the center) inside the cup it becomes punchier. Just my tips :)

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #903 of 1,352
that sounds right. I've read multiple reviews say they are very bright.

Talking about the 681 EVO only:

@metal571 That might have been true when they were released (and hence a lot of reviewers reviewed them) but is not true for the current release EVOs. They tamed the highs pretty early in it's lifecycle. If you buy one now it's a much better balanced headphone. It's true that the early versions were said to shrill and have harsh treble but not anymore. You can take a look at my profile, I have a few Superlux besides other headphones and I am not a fan of shrill, sibilant or treble heavy headphones. I can tell you that for the money, this is one of the best sounding headphones, with amazing deep bass btw. (although can become a bit boomy depending on the amp you use).

EDIT: review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/670051/review-superlux-hd681-evo

Cheers,
K

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #904 of 1,352

Talking about the 681 EVO only:

@metal571 That might have been true when they were released (and hence a lot of reviewers reviewed them) but is not true for the current release EVOs. They tamed the highs pretty early in it's lifecycle. If you buy one now it's a much better balanced headphone. It's true that the early versions were said to shrill and have harsh treble but not anymore. You can take a look at my profile, I have a few Superlux besides other headphones and I am not a fan of shrill, sibilant or treble heavy headphones. I can tell you that for the money, this is one of the best sounding headphones, with amazing deep bass btw. (although can become a bit boomy depending on the amp you use).

EDIT: review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/670051/review-superlux-hd681-evo

Cheers,
K

Cool man, I might look into them. I always want to have cans at that price point that I can recommend to people.

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #906 of 1,352
I heard the HD685 today --- pretty nice!

The build quality actually feels quite robust and, dare I say, luxurious? The metal accents are actually still plastic, but it's high quality plastic. The cups use the soft texture plastic, which feels great. The ear pads are in typical Superlux fashion still not very permissive of venting and thus your ears will feel stuffy, but overall, the comfort is great. I like the feel of the leatherette headband. There's an elastic retainer contained within the headband that helps pad your head.

Sound-wise, I didn't take a serious listen, but it's overall quite pleasant. Good midrange tonality --- warm but articulate. Bass is not as tight as I would desire (for reference, I consider the bass on the NAD HP50 tight) but the overall response should be pleasing for a majority of folk.

I like it. It's a big step up in terms of aesthetics for the firm, and the sound is well-tuned enough.

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #909 of 1,352
I live in Taiwan. Superlux is a Taiwanese company.

So, are they already available in Taiwan? If yes for which price? I have a friend in your country so he could get them for me if they are available....
Many thanks,
K

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #910 of 1,352
Probably twice expensive as hd681. Build quality is good.

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #911 of 1,352
Probably twice expensive as hd681. Build quality is good.

I only paid $25 for my HD681s. If I can buy the HD685 for $50, I'll take one right now.............

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #912 of 1,352

I can tell you that for the money, this is one of the best sounding headphones, with amazing deep bass btw. (although can become a bit boomy depending on the amp you use).  

Cheers,
K

I wholeheartedly agree. 

I like the EVO so much I just bought another one.  Now I have a black one and a white one.  I honestly think I could sell 90% of the rest of my collection and be perfectly happy from here on out with just my EVOs and my standard HD681.  They are that good.

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #913 of 1,352
  So, are they already available in Taiwan? If yes for which price? I have a friend in your country so he could get them for me if they are available....

Not yet. The dealers just got them. I happened to be around when they were testing them out. I think they'll be officially releasing them before the end of the month. I didn't get an exact price, but they said it was ~2000 NT, which is <$70 USD. Assume more just to be safe.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #914 of 1,352
Not yet. The dealers just got them. I happened to be around when they were testing them out. I think they'll be officially releasing them before the end of the month. I didn't get an exact price, but they said it was ~2000 NT, which is <$70 USD. Assume more just to be safe.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the info. I guess international retail will be around $99 then. Just sold 2 superluxi yesterday to make space.

Cheers,
K

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #915 of 1,352

I only paid $25 for my HD681s. If I can buy the HD685 for $50, I'll take one right now.............

I was thinking more like 60€ = 82$.  For me HD681EVO was flop. If HD685 does not bring atleast HD681 audio quality in cloed back probably not worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back