Superlux Express Train
Jun 4, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #886 of 1,352
Original 681s and new EVOs are both semi open. The EVOs is the newer model which corrected the bright sound slightly by placing a thick felt on the front drivers and sounded more darker but "fun" than the original and by removing the felt, it would sounded "probably" similar to the original (though i don't own the original but i have read a post regarding this). 

In my observation and according to the frequency response chart of 681s and EVOs, the peak in 8-9 Hz makes HP sounded bright and i just manually adjust it in software EQ for a quick fix and sounded nicer. These are my personal thoughts and opinion. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #887 of 1,352
  Original 681s and new EVOs are both semi open. The EVOs is the newer model which corrected the bright sound slightly by placing a thick felt on the front drivers and sounded more darker but "fun" than the original and by removing the felt, it would sounded "probably" similar to the original (though i don't own the original but i have read a post regarding this). 

In my observation and according to the frequency response chart of 681s and EVOs, the peak in 8-9 Hz makes HP sounded bright and i just manually adjust it in software EQ for a quick fix and sounded nicer. These are my personal thoughts and opinion. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the 668B the best. Just my opinion.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #888 of 1,352
Jun 4, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #890 of 1,352
No. Its a different brand... There's zero information on the cans I'm buying... I'll do a review when I get them. Btw, the pads are leather, and they apparently haven't been used much... The pads are extremely shiny.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #891 of 1,352
I'd bet you'll still buy one of the SL Headphones. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #892 of 1,352
I'd bet you'll still buy one of the SL Headphones. :)
yes. I probably will later on. Its just the vintage looks like a better deal as of now... Probably the EVO because its a sexy looking can. Might replace K240's as mobile headphone. (k240 as mobile... Yes you read that right.)

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #893 of 1,352
  It's funny as soon as I saw this thread on the front page just now I was wondering the same thing.

How do the 681s/681 EVO compare to a K240S? The former is semi-open but isn't the EVO closed? They look closed from the pics.

Don't even think HD681EVO. It's bad. Treble is bit stuffy.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #895 of 1,352
I figured it was nowhere near the SQ of the AKGs they are trying to imitate here.

Don't even think HD681EVO. It's bad. Treble is bit stuffy.
ok. Thanks man. I don't really want stuffy treble lol. And people keep saying superlux's are better than the k240... I don't think that true. It might be close, depending on the model... But then there's build. I think I'll get 668?

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #896 of 1,352
yes. I probably will later on. Its just the vintage looks like a better deal as of now... Probably the EVO because its a sexy looking can. Might replace K240's as mobile headphone. (k240 as mobile... Yes you read that right.)

The Evo is horrible, 668b is great for the money.
  I figured it was nowhere near the SQ of the AKGs they are trying to imitate here.

The only thing the Superlux and AKG have in common is the frame, they are not trying to imitate anything, they sound totally different.  IMHO the 668b wipes the floor with the newer 240. The 668 has more in common with the sound of the DT990, strong bass and a bit of hot treble.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #897 of 1,352

The Evo is horrible, 668b is great for the money.

The only thing the Superlux and AKG have in common is the frame, they are not trying to imitate anything, they sound totally different.  IMHO the 668b wipes the floor with the newer 240.

Really? Because the 668B was described by Tyll as having the same piercing treble but with boosted bass, which would make it a V shaped can. The 240s are on the warm side with extended and mostly flat response upwards past the bass except for a minor treble spike at 10 kHz.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #898 of 1,352
  Really? Because the 668B was described by Tyll as having the same piercing treble but with boosted bass, which would make it a V shaped can. The 240s are on the warm side with extended and mostly flat response upwards past the bass except for a minor treble spike at 10 kHz.

I prefer the clarity of the 668 over the newer 240.  The old school 240's were fantastic, the new ones are not even comparable.

I was replying to the fact that you said they failed at trying to emulate the sound of the 240, they did not, they have more in common with a Dt990 witch also has a treble spike and enhanced bass.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #899 of 1,352
  I prefer the clarity of the 668 over the newer 240.  The old school 240's were fantastic, the new ones are not even comparable.

I was replying to the fact that you said they failed at trying to emulate the sound of the 240, they did not, they have more in common with a Dt990 witch also has a treble spike and enhanced bass.

That's what I imagined, yeah. I'm more of a neutralist guy. I've heard the 990s and that was probably the most painful treble I've ever heard on a headphone to date lol couldn't stand it. Just personal taste

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #900 of 1,352
That's what I imagined, yeah. I'm more of a neutralist guy. I've heard the 990s and that was probably the most painful treble I've ever heard on a headphone to date lol couldn't stand it. Just personal taste

To each his own, I also enjoy a warm signature, but we are talking about set of headphones that can be found for less the. 30 dollars. They are quite decent considering the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back