Superlux Express Train
Apr 1, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #46 of 1,352

Quote:
Today I picked up a Superlux HD662 ($30 closed, amazing value considering the Sennheiser HD280pro costs $100), HD381 ($14!!) and another HD668b ($34, I modded the crap out of my first pair). Expect a comparison/round up soon. 

Nice I deffo want to hear what you think about 662.  Thinking of getting myself a pair.

Apr 1, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #47 of 1,352

Quote:
and a list of the mods please 
biggrin.gif

Check out Rockgrotto for the most extensive list of mods. AKG K240 velours, Blu-tak mod, filtermod, coinmod... 

Quick impressions straight out of the box, no burn-in, Iaudio X5L with a Headstage Arrow 12HE amp:

HD381b:

sibilant, boomy bass, mediocre build quality, fatigueing, congested, comfortable enough, better than it's price suggests compared to, for example, cheapies like the Sennheiser CX300, Creative EP630, Energy Sistem, Kanen etc. Best in-ear for it's price I've heard. My Brainwavz ProAlpha are more enjoyable though but do cost almost 3 times as much.

HD662 (closed):

Just like the HD668b these impressed me as soon as I put them on, thundering bass, fun, detailed beyond it's price, slightly sibilant, agressive, slightly uncomfortable, mediocre isolation, slight plasticy resonation in the cups, definitely on par with the $100 Sennheiser HD280pro.

Can't wait to start modding the HD662. Dampen the cups, recable, switch to velour pads... This can is gonna surprise a lot of people. 

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #48 of 1,352
I want a pair of the 662s, I'm just not sure where to buy.

Quote:

Check out Rockgrotto for the most extensive list of mods. AKG K240 velours, Blu-tak mod, filtermod, coinmod... 

Quick impressions straight out of the box, no burn-in, Iaudio X5L with a Headstage Arrow 12HE amp:

HD381b:

sibilant, boomy bass, mediocre build quality, fatigueing, congested, comfortable enough, better than it's price suggests compared to, for example, cheapies like the Sennheiser CX300, Creative EP630, Energy Sistem, Kanen etc. Best in-ear for it's price I've heard. My Brainwavz ProAlpha are more enjoyable though but do cost almost 3 times as much.

HD662 (closed):

Just like the HD668b these impressed me as soon as I put them on, thundering bass, fun, detailed beyond it's price, slightly sibilant, agressive, slightly uncomfortable, mediocre isolation, slight plasticy resonation in the cups, definitely on par with the $100 Sennheiser HD280pro.

Can't wait to start modding the HD662. Dampen the cups, recable, switch to velour pads... This can is gonna surprise a lot of people. 

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #49 of 1,352
If you stumble upon Superlux HD660, go and grab it, its even better than HD668B: fuller and sweeter mids, smoother high, fuller bass. All it cost is the soundstage which is not as wide as HD668B because HD660 is closed back. Oh, and you definitely need an amp for this one, because the impedance is 150 ohm. I think the HD330 (which suspiciously like open back version of HD660) will have better soundstage than HD660, but I never heard one so I don't know.

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #50 of 1,352
Really? I'm looking for closed-headphones that sound close to (or better than) the HD668B so I'd be really interested if that were true.  

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #51 of 1,352
I got my pair in Thursday, and I must say, I'm impressed. I expected a little more bass, but the headphones, I think, sound great for the price. They do clamp tight on your head, but I don't mind that too much. And the earpads will probably make your ears sweaty. I read that the k240 earpads were an improvement over the stock 668B earpads, but in what way? Does it help with the sweatiness or comfort? I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna buy the velour pads, they're way too expensive. 

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #52 of 1,352
I own both and while there is a difference, is not that big, still sweaty, just a bit softer. i am yet to try them with K501 or K601 pads ... soon. but velour pads, generally, changes the sound, so i dont have high hopes in those.

and its not that bad, even my HD25 gets hotter than the superluxes, sometimes.

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #53 of 1,352

How would they compare to my Shure SRH840s? Yes, I know they are closed and the Superluxes are semi open but I'm interested in semi open for an even better soundstage than the Shures provide. The soundstage for the Shures is very impressive for closed phones but at home I don't always need closed.

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #54 of 1,352
One thing I noticed about the HD668B is how they have this slight 'tint' on their timbre. They are very clear-sounding and has good details; however, I keep feeling that the timbre is a little off. This is fairly consistent across most music. Headphones like HD600 and DT880 fare better in this area. It's not a dealbreaker, but it's the biggest reason why I don't think they quite matchup to $200+ headphones.

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #56 of 1,352
I for one have no issue with the HD668B and the stock earpads. Doesn't really get sweaty and it's comfortable enough for me to wear them all day. I know that velour pads may change the sound, but I like how it sounds right now and I'm afraid it's going to change in a way I may not like. 

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #58 of 1,352
Velour pads change the isolation a bit, it's better with stock pads. The sound seems to be more like semi-open increasing a bit the sounstage, and sounds even a bit more balanced.
Anyways the best change its the confortability.

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #59 of 1,352
Just received HD 668Bs today and boy am I pleasantly surprised.  First impressions mirror others in that these cans feel a bit flimsy and a bit on the cheap side.  I forgot all of that when I plugged them in.  They sound, dare I say, awesome.  I mean other than a small hint of a treble bias, they are spot on.  Being somewhat of a basshead, I was concerned about that before hand, but the bass is actually not bad at all.  It's not super deep, but it's tight.  I like it!  

I feel like I stole these things for $50.  If I got these for $30 I would probably would have bought a bunch and gave them as gifts. 

I also have a pair of 681s waiting in the wings but they may be waiting a bit longer as I am just enjoying these right now.

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #60 of 1,352
Which version of these headphones would sound good for Rock N Roll and Trance? I love juicy mids. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back