Summer 2013 Head-Fi Buying Guide - Head-Fi TV
Jul 31, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:
In ur E12 section, when you said +10db, it is actully +16db. Fiio made a typo I believe. 

onehungano1, thank you for that. I'll fix it in the guide.

Quote:
Your guide is very helpful and comprehensive, thanks alot Jude!

myap2328, thank you for the nice comment!

Quote:
One of the things I have always struggle with with the ESP-950 is what amp to pair it up with.  From what I understand, the E-90 is not the best designed amp around, and Stax amps provide a fantastic alternative to power the very underrated ESP-950.

The problem I have is that the Stax amps are expensive.

Jude, based on your experiences, and I am not sure if you have modded the ESP-950 extension cable to make it adaptable to Stax amps or other electrostatic amps, what are some of the amps (DIY or commercially available) you would recommend that will pair up with the ESP-950 well?

Thanks.

ambchang, I wouldn't doubt that other amps could drive the ESP950 more impressively than its own E90. Still, even with the E90, I'm enjoying the heck out of this headphone. I may experiment down the road, but, as of now, I don't have experience with the ESP950 and other amps, so can't make any specific recommendations there. (Not yet, anyway.)

Quote:
I thought everybody hated the hdvd800.

That's certainly not true. And whatever your definition of "everybody" is in this case, I'd have to disagree with them. The HD 800 and HDVD 800 together make for an outstanding rig, in my opinion. And if someone already has a DAC they really like, then the amp-only HDVA 600 might be the better choice.

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #19 of 30
Speaking of updating prices. Jude I think Fostex changed their prices for the TH900/TH600.

They're $1499/$999 now.

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:
Speaking of updating prices. Jude I think Fostex changed their prices for the TH900/TH600.

They're $1499/$999 now.

Well, how about that--wow. I actually had to look that up to believe it for myself. Okay, I'll edit the guide.

Thanks for the heads-up M-13.

Jul 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #21 of 30
Stax SR-009 has the same more-bass-as-cans-go-far thing. It was one of the surprises I did have with my just arrived pair. 
And when over-sealed...pfrrrt, Stax fart ! 
size]

Ali

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #23 of 30
How does the Koss ESP950 compare to the entry-level STAX SRS-2170, which can be found for a whopping $400 USD cheaper, new?

They each have their strengths and weaknesses...

The ESP950 have better bass impact and more upfront midrange, but I feel that the 2170 has more detail, better highs and larger soundstage. Feel that 2170 has more of a flat even response but 950's are more fun.

Comfort wise personally I prefer the 207 as they allow for more movement and have better pads (950's can't swivel at all and has cheap vinyl pads) but 950's are lighter and is slightly more roomier inside the pads.

Build quality wise, no question, 2170 is miles better than the 950 system. But then again, do consider that the 950 system has lifetime no question asked warranty while 2170 only has a year, and is tricky to claim here in N. America unless you buy it here through Yamas in which case it becomes a lot more expensive.

The 950's also have a unique advantage in that it's design allows it to be easily transportable... It comes with a good carrying bag, headphones are modular in design so it can be separated into three pieces, and E90 amp can even be powered by a battery pack that it comes with.

So it really depends on a lot of factors on what your needs are. If I had to choose one right now I'd prefer the 2170 system as they're comfier (to me anyway, may differ for others), has flatter response and is cheaper to get new, but others may value the 950's more for their more involving sound and excellent warranty policy (plus 950 system can often be had for much cheaper than MSRP if you look around).

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #25 of 30
Thanks a lot for this review Jude.

I saw you held a french dac (don't remember the name now..) Do you have any comment on that one? And have you heard the Project Ember amp?

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #26 of 30
  Thanks a lot for this review Jude.

I saw you held a french dac (don't remember the name now..) Do you have any comment on that one? And have you heard the Project Ember amp?

Perhaps you're thinking of the Micromega MyDAC? I haven't used that one yet, but, in the guide, I did cover this...

http://www.head-fi.org/a/2013-head-fi-summer-buying-guide-desktop-amps-dacs#user_micromega_myzic

...which is the amp counterpart to Micromega's MyDAC.

If you're referring to something else, let me know.

Oct 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #27 of 30

Yes. The SLYR, Mix Master Mike and Aviator are other Skullcandy headphones I like (and that are also in the guide). But the PLYR 1 is the most impressive of them, in my opinion.

Thanks, Peter!

Interesting to read the reviews on PLYR 1. 

Jude, do you have any experience with the higher priced Astros or other "high-end" gaming headsets from TB or Tritton? How does the sound quality compare to the PLYR 1? I know the audiophiles on this site generally look down upon those gaming headsets as having poor SQ. :)

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #29 of 30
  A Skullcandy is good?
I've heard a few and they were never good before.  They were never even average.

The Aviator is really, really nice sounding. Haven't heard the MMM but it's supposed to be good as well. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #30 of 30

One of the things I have always struggle with with the ESP-950 is what amp to pair it up with.  From what I understand, the E-90 is not the best designed amp around, and Stax amps provide a fantastic alternative to power the very underrated ESP-950.

The problem I have is that the Stax amps are expensive.

Jude, based on your experiences, and I am not sure if you have modded the ESP-950 extension cable to make it adaptable to Stax amps or other electrostatic amps, what are some of the amps (DIY or commercially available) you would recommend that will pair up with the ESP-950 well?

Thanks.

ambchang, I wouldn't doubt that other amps could drive the ESP950 more impressively than its own E90. Still, even with the E90, I'm enjoying the heck out of this headphone. I may experiment down the road, but, as of now, I don't have experience with the ESP950 and other amps, so can't make any specific recommendations there. (Not yet, anyway.)

Actually most people think the E90 is the best pairing for the 950, which I don't doubt for a second since it was designed for it. Likewise with the HD800 and the HDVD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back