Suggestion on Headphones for Father's Day!
May 31, 2012 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

clickk

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I've been looking around and doing some research but haven't really found any answers to my questions...  I want to buy a decent pair of around the ear headphones for my dad for Father's Day, but with a budget of only up to CDN$200 (maybe a little more if they're considerably better).  I've personally owned a pair of Sennheisers before (forgot which one, but one of the HD500's...) and I LOVED them.  As such, I'm a little biased towards them and want to get an HD 558 for my dad.  However, I've been reading that the impedance is a little higher and may affect its quality when used with an iPod/iPad... As far as I know, my dad will only be using the headphones with his iPad 3 and maybe iPhone 4...  Would you guys recommend I still go with this pair, or are there any other suggestions?  I'd love to hear any suggestions you guys may have and I'll go do more research on them.

I should also note that my dad isn't really an audiophile, but he's got his preferences.  He doesn't like his bass too heavy, and I know he listens to a lot of songs with more classical instruments and clean vocals, so I'm hoping to get him something that can enhance those details.  Thanks!!!

May 31, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 8
Check out if their are any HD580s on ebay round your way! They perform close to the HD600s apparently (not heard 600s have 580s) an they are truly phenomenal! You can get them at bargain prices at times as well!

May 31, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 8
I can only find one HD 580 shipping from the States...  After paying for shipping, brokerage fees, and the ridiculously high Canadian customs tax of 30-something%, it puts them out of my budget =(  Similarly the only used HD 600's I can find in my area are still priced at $400.  Any other suggestions?  Doesn't HAVE to be Sennheisers!  I know there are many other great brands out there..  I just don't know what they are. =)

May 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I can only find one HD 580 shipping from the States...  After paying for shipping, brokerage fees, and the ridiculously high Canadian customs tax of 30-something%, it puts them out of my budget =(  Similarly the only used HD 600's I can find in my area are still priced at $400.  Any other suggestions?  Doesn't HAVE to be Sennheisers!  I know there are many other great brands out there..  I just don't know what they are. =)

What customs taxes are you talking about?

The charges you should incur shipping in from the US are 1. the actual shipping costs. 2. applicable sales tax for your province. This will vary by province, some only charge GST, others both GST & PST or HST. 3. Brokerage fees. This vary depending on the shipping method. USPS/Canada post is typically a flat $5, UPS and FedEx ground can be ridiculously high but most of the other UPS and FedEx methods have brokerage included.

Typically I try to ship USPS/Canada Post because it's generally more predictable and easier for me to pick up packages. It's only been recently that I've managed to figure the bad UPS and FedEx methods.

The HD580/600's are harder to drive and IMO require a decent amp to sound their best. The 558's you mentioned should work. Alternatively there's plenty of decent phones this price range.

How will your father use these, are open phones going to be ok or would a close backed phone be better for isolation and less sound leakage?

Other phones you could look at would be Grado SR-60's up to the 225's. Allessandro MS-1's, V-Moda M-80, Audio Technica ATH-M50.

May 31, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 8
buy from a reputable private seller on the forum or ebay, amazon, ask if they can claim as gift for certain amount to avoid your import tax. It sounds like cheating on the system but all other people are doing this.

May 31, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 8
Just saw this, it might be of interest to you.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649001820-sennheiser_hd_558/

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 8
Thank you for all the information!!! Let me take a look through the other headphones you guys mentioned and also through that link and I'll get back to this thread with my conclusion (or more questions!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back