Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Oct 9, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #556 of 997
I also use 320 MAX with Storm for my "normal" pairing. I carry it in my backpack to work. That said, when I am going to start traveling again for work in the next few weeks, I may have to leave it at home to save precious space in my carry-on bag for other things. I just got the Hiby R3-II for ultra-portable purposes, and it sounds alright with the Storm. More than likely, I'll be using it BT with my Sennheiser Momentum 4 and Galaxy Buds Pro 2 for travel though.

Oct 9, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #557 of 997
I agree the DX320Max is a literal brick, but it sounds so good that I forget its weight and either carry in my computer bag or messenger bag when I’m traveling. Too good to leave home when I’m traveling for work!
👏, for dedication to the hobby 😂!

My DX320 MAX is basically how I do my “desktop” setup. The RS8 is great but the DX320 Max is always a treat…especially when using my ZMFs!

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #558 of 997
My question goes to those of of you guys, who have experience with or own the DX320 max ti and the Cayin N30 LE:

Which of the afore mentioned daps would be in a one device setup your preferred pairing to drive STORM ? I found out that my RS8 is quite OK but does not do justice to STORM in driving it properly.

Would appreciate your recommendation.
320 Max would be my choice over N30LE.

N30LE is of course no slouch but I think the tonality of 320 Max suits Storm a little better, at least for my preferences.

N30LE is a little leaner and crisper, whereas 320 Max fills out notes a little more which gives it a more full bodied and textured sound.

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #559 of 997
I also use 320 MAX with Storm for my "normal" pairing. I carry it in my backpack to work. That said, when I am going to start traveling again for work in the next few weeks, I may have to leave it at home to save precious space in my carry-on bag for other things. I just got the Hiby R3-II for ultra-portable purposes, and it sounds alright with the Storm. More than likely, I'll be using it BT with my Sennheiser Momentum 4 and Galaxy Buds Pro 2 for travel though.
Why the R3-II over something like a dongle dac? Was bluetooth specifically what you were looking for or were there other considerations?

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #560 of 997
Why the R3-II over something like a dongle dac? Was bluetooth specifically what you were looking for or were there other considerations?

I dont like dongles. I have them but never use them. It drains my phone battery, awkward to have in your pockets, and I want the storage of a DAP.

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #564 of 997
320 Max would be my choice over N30LE.

N30LE is of course no slouch but I think the tonality of 320 Max suits Storm a little better, at least for my preferences.

N30LE is a little leaner and crisper, whereas 320 Max fills out notes a little more which gives it a more full bodied and textured sound.
Agreed. I a/b tested 320Max and N30LE with Storm and A/B and I preferred 320Max.

Oct 22, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #565 of 997
Do we have any idea when the regular version of the Storm is going to be released/sold? It's been a while since the last LE was sold and there seems to be little news about the regular version. In the classifieds there are several people who want to buy it but very few are selling. I'm interested in buying one but there is no way to buy one at the moment.

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #566 of 997
Do we have any idea when the regular version of the Storm is going to be released/sold? It's been a while since the last LE was sold and there seems to be little news about the regular version. In the classifieds there are several people who want to buy it but very few are selling. I'm interested in buying one but there is no way to buy one at the moment.
We are looking to release RE STORM end December! We've also recently scrapped Tempest and have been working on a new project :wink:

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Oct 22, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #567 of 997
Is RE STORM going to be identical with LE STORM or did you potentially refine things that you thought could be improved on the original LE STORM?

Is the new project a successor the the STORM or a differently tuned flagship or maybe targeted at a different price level?

Just in case you can already tell us anything about the new project.

Oct 22, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #568 of 997
Is RE STORM going to be identical with LE STORM or did you potentially refine things that you thought could be improved on the original LE STORM?

Is the new project a successor the the STORM or a differently tuned flagship or maybe targeted at a different price level?

Just in case you can already tell us anything about the new project.
Yep; sonically identical. Changes made to the faceplate and pouches!

The new project will target a lower price point. However the same still applies - no compromises sonically. It will be very different from the STORM and serve a different purpose in our line-up.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Oct 22, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #569 of 997
Yep; sonically identical. Changes made to the faceplate and pouches!

The new project will target a lower price point. However the same still applies - no compromises sonically. It will be very different from the STORM and serve a different purpose in our line-up.
Will this new subtonic iem be at any upcoming canjams for demo? 👀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back