Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 2, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #811 of 997
We hear you all! We will showcase the current STORM design for the upcoming CanJam Singapore show as well. Will gather feedback see what aesthetic tweaks we should make. Redesigning the faceplate was not a simple process in the past year due to CNC limitations with titanium.

We won't let you down with the release of the regular ver. STORM. We looooove the aesthetics of the Launch Ed STORM; and have decided that those 50 will remain extra special for the first 50 folks that believed in us at the very start.

Rest assured, we won't rush anything when it concerns product launches. We don't intend to take orders for STORM during CanJam. Regular Ed STORM is ready when it's ready. We've always adovcated for slow release cycles and will continue to do so, so that we can deliver an excellent product consistently.

Thank you all!

That’s very understandable and great for the 50 people!

Do you have an idea about pricing for the regular Storm?

And I guess it will not be available in the EU, right? If so, I’m also out of the game…

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #812 of 997
Apr 2, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #813 of 997
Do you have an idea about pricing for the regular Storm?
As of right now I believe it's 6000 USD. It was posted a page or two ago.
It was said to be 6000 USD as „current estimate“. The price should depend on various factors. In other words: it is not final and can also be more in the end.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #814 of 997
It was said to be 6000 USD as „current estimate“. The price should depend on various factors. In other words: it is not final and can also be more in the end.
That’s what I meant by “as of right now” 😉

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #817 of 997
As of right now I believe it's 6000 USD. It was posted a page or two ago.

Well, as of right now, we have no idea what the final product is going to look like, the final cost , or the availability. It does not sound like will be ready anytime soon so that gives you time to save up money to purchase.

Thank you.

Just like @MatW I will also hold my breath for the time being and see how things unfold. If it will be available within the EU, my wallet might be unhappy (one of the largest markets in the world, problem-free shipping within 27 great countries and home to countless audio enthusiasts @Chang :) ).

5-6k is a lot of money. If you needed to import and add e.g. 20% VAT, that makes 6.000 out of the 5k or even 7.200 from the 6k price tag. Many people here would skip the purchase under these conditions.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #818 of 997
Thank you.

Just like @MatW I will also hold my breath for the time being and see how things unfold. If it will be available within the EU, my wallet might be unhappy (one of the largest markets in the world, problem-free shipping within 27 great countries and home to countless audio enthusiasts @Chang :) ).

5-6k is a lot of money. If you needed to import and add e.g. 20% VAT, that makes 6.000 out of the 5k or even 7.200 from the 6k price tag.
It should be reminded that the price announced is without VAT. Even if you had a EU shop it would never be at the announced price.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #819 of 997
Preamble: I love how the Storm sounded sonically. Closest to a full-sized top-tier headphone I have ever heard in an IEM with lovely sonic timbre ; and improved again with the Sovereign cable. I enjoyed what they did with Crimson at a more affordable price tier with only 4BA and although personally, the tuning wasn't my preference, I respected its technical abilities.

I wonder how much of what we are seeing is inexperience in project management. They are a young company. With only 50 subsidised IEM's on initial release and multiple iterations + who knows how many production rejections and wastage, profit margins may be tight. Delays have been significant. Psychologically, I can't help think that "I am getting less for paying more". $6000US plus taxes + cable upgrade is a lot of money. I don't know how many STORM they will sell of the production run. I do envy those who managed to buy one on release and sometimes still wonder ... "what if I said yes" when I had the opportunity.

No one doubts their passion. And for succeeding in a niche market for "that" IEM. Time will tell. Storm is everything I love in my current IEM repertoire rolled into one with very few flaws.

I may of course be presumptuously incorrect. And for that, I apologise.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #820 of 997
It should be reminded that the price announced is without VAT. Even if you had a EU shop it would never be at the announced price.
1712144764976.gif

You are obviously right. I always forget that when I’m on international forums 😆

Still, other than VAT you have the hassle and additional import costs (higher shipping costs, customs fee, handling fee from shipping service) plus no access to a local trusted dealer if you might need support/guarantee one day etc…

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #821 of 997
Preamble: I love how the Storm sounded sonically. Closest to a full-sized top-tier headphone I have ever heard in an IEM with lovely sonic timbre ; and improved again with the Sovereign cable. I enjoyed what they did with Crimson at a more affordable price tier with only 4BA and although personally, the tuning wasn't my preference, I respected its technical abilities.

I wonder how much of what we are seeing is inexperience in project management. They are a young company. With only 50 subsidised IEM's on initial release and multiple iterations + who knows how many production rejections and wastage, profit margins may be tight. Delays have been significant. Psychologically, I can't help think that "I am getting less for paying more". $6000US plus taxes + cable upgrade is a lot of money. I don't know how many STORM they will sell of the production run. I do envy those who managed to buy one on release and sometimes still wonder ... "what if I said yes" when I had the opportunity.

No one doubts their passion. And for succeeding in a niche market for "that" IEM. Time will tell. Storm is everything I love in my current IEM repertoire rolled into one with very few flaws.

I may of course be presumptuously incorrect. And for that, I apologise.

Great reply!

„What if I said yes“ is also the most used sentence regarding stock markets and other investments that skyrocketed 😆

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #822 of 997
1712144764976.gif

You are obviously right. I always forget that when I’m on international forums 😆

Still, other than VAT you have the hassle and additional import costs (higher shipping costs, customs fee, handling fee from shipping service) plus no access to a local trusted dealer if you might need support/guarantee one day etc…
We are not corporate buyers. Consumer prices are including VAT. I know from certain retailers in the EU that they sell products excluding VAT when the goods are shipped outside the EU, i.e. for a lower amount than the retail price. The buyer/importer pays the VAT and ends up at the retail price again, more or less. I am not sure how that works with exports from Singapore. But anyway, not relevant in the short term.

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #823 of 997
5-6k is a lot of money. If you needed to import and add e.g. 20% VAT, that makes 6.000 out of the 5k or even 7.200 from the 6k price tag. Many people here would skip the purchase under these conditions.
That sucks for you EU people. You guys get hit with the 20% even if you bought it overseas, used it and came home with it.

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #824 of 997
...so we're not expecting an April release anymore? 😕

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #825 of 997
That sucks for you EU people. You guys get hit with the 20% even if you bought it overseas, used it and came home with it.
Yes but that’s usually no problem because we can buy literally everything within the EU. But It’s strange that you can only get IEMs from certain manufacturers through local dealers. 64audio, Campfire, EE for example are easy to get but some of the smaller manufacturers aren’t available here and yes, then we get the VAT issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back