Submit your DAP specs please - I am creating "Dapper" a Mac iTunes to DAP converter
Nov 26, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #16 of 31
This is fantastic.  At long last, I'm able to take my playlists on the run with me via my X3. 

I don't see a link to download your great software, Jeremy...(perhaps I'm just missing something).  Is it available at this time?

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #18 of 31
Under both fw2.1 and fw3.0 I have had my files for my FiiO X3 in folders with the artist "last name, first name" or a group by name. If the artist/group had more than one album they were placed in separate folders in that artist's/group's folder.

After updating to fw3.3 the X3 sees the artist and each album folder but all the folders are empty. There are no musical tracks. This is true for the internal memory and for the 64GB Samsung miniSD card, BOTH of which worked fine under X3 fw3.0. All my tracks are ALAC, some ripped from CD but others downloaded from HDTracks.com.

In iTunes I use Playlists to create folders with artists "last name, first name" and groups by names since iTunes sorts Music by first word and that does not work for me. I store MP3 files for my iPhone 6 in iTunes this way. I do not want my ALAC files in iTunes.

Is there a way to get the X3 to play the tracks in the folders (which I reloaded to a clean internal memory as a trial fix) as it did in the past? I have updated with the Dec 23 14 fw3.3 file three times. Nothing improved.

FiiO asked me to "send them a music file" to see if the file is defective. The files are large even though ALAC, and the files on the card and in the memory played fine before the firmware update. Artists had one or multiple album folders and each contained the tracks I put there.

Since I cannot regress to fw3.0 ( I tried) the X3 is currently junk to me..

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #19 of 31
Under both fw2.1 and fw3.0 I have had my files for my FiiO X3 in folders with the artist "last name, first name" or a group by name. If the artist/group had more than one album they were placed in separate folders in that artist's/group's folder.

After updating to fw3.3 the X3 sees the artist and each album folder but all the folders are empty. There are no musical tracks. This is true for the internal memory and for the 64GB Samsung miniSD card, BOTH of which worked fine under X3 fw3.0. All my tracks are ALAC, some ripped from CD but others downloaded from HDTracks.com.

In iTunes I use Playlists to create folders with artists "last name, first name" and groups by names since iTunes sorts Music by first word and that does not work for me. I store MP3 files for my iPhone 6 in iTunes this way. I do not want my ALAC files in iTunes.

Is there a way to get the X3 to play the tracks in the folders (which I reloaded to a clean internal memory as a trial fix) as it did in the past? I have updated with the Dec 23 14 fw3.3 file three times. Nothing improved.

FiiO asked me to "send them a music file" to see if the file is defective. The files are large even though ALAC, and the files on the card and in the memory played fine before the firmware update. Artists had one or multiple album folders and each contained the tracks I put there.

Since I cannot regress to fw3.0 ( I tried) the X3 is currently junk to me..

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Hello Bob,

Can you try to "reset factory defaults" (in System Settings)? Also, what happens when you try to re-load FW3.0?

Also, I don't quite understand your file organization from your description... Could you post some sample pictures of the contents of your SD card as shown by Finder on your computer?

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 6, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #20 of 31
Attempt to regress to 3.0 yields "no update found." I tried relabeling the 3.3 as 3.0 and various permutations but got the same message.

HOWEVER ... I went to the menus to play Tracks (they were there, all alphabetical) and then Albums (and they were there) and then when went back to the Folders tab and my music was magically back where it belongs! (I had done a manual Update Media Library but that had not worked to return the missing files though it counted them all in both internal and SD locations). Somehow accessing the other two tabs allowed the X3 to access the files I knew were there in the folders (which I have used instead of playlists--but may reassess). Very strange. Any thoughts?

I had CrossOver Mac and installed the PC software for creating playlists (I forget the name) but have not proceeded further. I'm just glad to have my music back!

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #21 of 31
Congrats on having your music back :p

Attempt to regress to 3.0 yields "no update found." I tried relabeling the 3.3 as 3.0 and various permutations

Stop right there. Did you perhaps forget that you were supposed to extract the "x3.fw" file (which is always just named "x3.fw", regardedless of version) inside the rar / zip file and put that in the root directory of the SD card? :wink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #22 of 31
Regarding my file structure. I rip CDs in Apple Lossless (ALAC) in iTunes and add album art if it is not present within iTunes and then delete the album to the trash. I create a folder on the desktop with the album title and drag and drop the files in the trash to the folder. I then create another folder with the artist's name (last name first for people) and drop the album folder into it. Multiple albums by the same artist are dropped into the same artist folder. On the internal X3 memory I just have artist folders. On the miniSD card I have music category (Folk, Jazz, Rock ...) folders into which the artist folders are clustered. I access my music and play music through the Folders (4th icon) tab and see them in the levels of folders as I created them: Catagory, Artist, Album, Tracks.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #23 of 31
I went back to FiiO and re-downloaded the 3.0fw which was a Zip file and extracted it. I put it onto a freshly reformatted (used the X3) 16GB miniSD card as I had done when I updated to 3.0 from 2.2.

The 3.3 downloads as a .rar file. I had updated to 3.3 by reformatting the same card in the X3, added the 3.3fw file and updated. I actually appled 3.3 three times to see if that was my "missing file" problem. Each 3.3 attempt gave me the update red/green ribbon followed by an auto reboot.

Attempting to go back to the 3.0fw gives no update ribbon but the words "no update found." Renaming the 3.0fw with higher number designations gave the same dialog.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #25 of 31
He contacted me. Thanks.

The situation resolved itself.

After simply looking at Tracks and Albums the track files magically returned to my folders.

Very strange, but I'm back where I want to be, Thanks.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #26 of 31
Jeremy, you might update your Dapper site to show that the X3 now supports playlists with firmware 3.3 released on 12/23/14. I have not researched whether the X1 also gained playlists. Thanks.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #27 of 31
Jeremy, you might update your Dapper site to show that the X3 now supports playlists with firmware 3.3 released on 12/23/14. I have not researched whether the X1 also gained playlists. Thanks.

X1 also supports playlists as of firmware 1.1 :)

Jul 4, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #29 of 31
Hi,
Do you know what to do if I'm using VOX Music Player by Coppertino.inc and basically have my music catalogued in folders but still would love to add playlists to my FiiO X5?

Jul 5, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #30 of 31
  Hi,
Do you know what to do if I'm using VOX Music Player by Coppertino.inc and basically have my music catalogued in folders but still would love to add playlists to my FiiO X5?

I am in a similar boat (except I use JRiver MC with music in folders) and have not been able to find a response WRT Dapper, which appears to be iTunes **only**.
Your other option is to create your own playlists manually.

I've found manual creation to be a bit painful for a few reasons:

1. some of my file names contain non-ascii characters (e.g. ñ or ö) and sometimes the X5 plays it just fine, but doesn't seem to be able to find it via user-created playlist.
2. Still not very clear what the actual requirements are and are not. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back