*stupid question alert* why are the 650s so cheap?
Apr 3, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #31 of 52
They're "so cheap" because...

... you have to spend thousand$ to get them to sound like real headphones!

But... they finally do!

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're "so cheap" because...

... you have to spend thousand$ to get them to sound like real headphones!

But... they finally do!

Have you ever even heard the hd650's? I've seen you post this over and over again and it is completely false...

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is such bullcrap...i write my last post and go to the sale/trade forums just on a whim and what do i see...3 freaking 650s for sale!!! the devil hath put temptations EVERYWHURR!!! i wouldnt be surprised if wired00 told them to put up the adds. hell i wouldnt be surprised if wired00 is THE DEVIL!!!

lol its not my fault ~$300 is burning a hole in your pocket :p

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever even heard the hd650's? I've seen you post this over and over again and it is completely false...

Based on his sig, yes. And apparently he DID spend thousands of dollars on cabling alone.

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #36 of 52
It's weird. When I bought my HD650 a year ago, most of the places were selling them at around $320 but now the same sites are selling them at $500. Did they secretly upgrade HD650?
confused.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on his sig, yes. And apparently he DID spend thousands of dollars on cabling alone.

Nothing wrong with aftermarket cables, but no need to spend thousands to get them to sound like headphones..but I'll drop it. lol

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Of course it is false... even spending thousands of dollars does not help them enough.
eek.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #39 of 52
bc you need a $1000 amp to power them lol

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #42 of 52
Hi!

In Czech republic, they were for me by no means cheap, but I had no problems obtain them after discovering their qualities.
Bigger issue (money-wise) was obtain really good amp for them, and the source is still low-end DVD player, because I have no more money nowadays to spend them on some good->great->stellar CD/SACD player
frown.gif

I'll say be happy they are not overpriced and the "saved" money invest into the rest of the sound chain...

Just my opinion

Moonwalker

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #43 of 52
After years of the 580/600/650 I'd assume that R&D and the manufacturing facilities has long been covered.

They are most definitely among the most highly respected audiophile headphones in existence and so with that all the people that has bought it, keeping the price down.

Probably are relatively cheap to make too. I doubt direct unit costs are anywhere near the price that we see. After all really how much does a bit of moulded plastic, metal and some magnets cost?

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for < $300 USD you can get a brand spanking new pair of hd 650s. many would argue they are one of the best cans out there (dynamic). if this is indeed true with the presence of other headphones like grados, akgs and other companies that sell headphones that cost significantly more than the 650s, how the hell and more importantly why the hell are they so freaking cheap?

i am by no means saying that they are cheap for the average person. my parents still yell at me for spending more than 20 dollars on headphones but once you realise that there are other phones that go for 4-10 times the price, it doesnt seem to be all that expensive. rather for the kind of quality of sound it offers, it seems to be awfully under priced. is there a reason behind this? or are they just not what the community has made them out to be?

yes, im aware that they live and die by the amp they are coupled with but still. $300 bucks? theres gotta be something going on.

*hopefully no one that works for the marketing team at sennheiser reads this thread and decides to hike up the price*

PS. they have been out for 5 years!!! O.O

Release date: December 5, 2003

the more research i do into these headphones the more skeptical i get. is sennheiser just producing fakes in the factories to keep the cost down? so even though they are actually made at their factories they are still fake? that made a lot more sense while it was still in my head. =/

Economies of scale & Market positioning.

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #45 of 52
i think maybe you live in a country with a great sennheiser presence. for me they are pretty much average price of over 500$ from online or street points, not big name stores which sell them for more.

that is indeed a very very cheap price. here i could go for them or w5000 for about the same price. personally, im not an at person, so the hd650 would be it but knowing that it can be had for almost half the price in (where are you?) - i would not pay that much for them

p.s. i love the cable for them if it is the same one as the one you can order from the store for us 13$. i got that and love it for hd600 - big thick juicy and very very well made - not going to fall apart ever probably!

damn, 300$. damn. if they were that price, i would think twice. i have the hd600 (well, i will when i get married as my wife to be has them!) that will complement my beyer dt880 and ultrasone dj1pro very well. funny, my used hg600 were 200$ usd. really... damn, 300$? i thought i got a good price on my hd600 (2 years ago)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back