Still feel that SQ could get better?(Plateau?)
Jun 1, 2011 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
I do, I feel like it could sound much better.  I've reached a plateau, but I know it can bet better, but I guess current tech doesn't allow it?

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 9
Of course it can get better. Just pup on a good set of fullsize cans, then put on a good set of IEMs. Though the IEMs do have certain advantages, overall the fullsize cans blow the latter out of the water. Sadly for us, this means that the upgraditis but won't abate any time soon.
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 9
I don't measure SQ proportional to cost.  I'm not that naive.

Quote:
More like... current wallet size doesn't allow it

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Jun 1, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 9
I think what it comes down to is the source. We can try as hard as we want, swapping out amps, headphones, DACs, etc. But at the end of the day, it can only sound as good as the source we are feeding this equipment. If a recording, (be it CD, vinyl, SACD, flac, mp3, etc) doesn't inherently have a particular level SQ that you are satisfied with, no matter what we do down the line to try to enhance it, there's no way you can artificially insert it in.

Also, you have to think about the limitations of headphones, IEMs, and even speakers. There's no way they can 100% accurately reproduce the sound of a live artist, band, instrument; it's a matter of physical laws. We just need to be content with what we can get 
smile.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 9
x2. Source first. I am more satisfied now with HM-602 > HD650 (stock cable) then I was with Pico > WooAudio 3 > HD650 (custom cable). And my WA3 was upgraded - $200 for Blackgates, $300 for tubes, total cost of amp was $1000+.

Quote:
I think what it comes down to is the source. We can try as hard as we want, swapping out amps, headphones, DACs, etc. But at the end of the day, it can only sound as good as the source we are feeding this equipment. If a recording, (be it CD, vinyl, SACD, flac, mp3, etc) doesn't inherently have a particular level SQ that you are satisfied with, no matter what we do down the line to try to enhance it, there's no way you can artificially insert it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back