Stax SR-X9000
Dec 17, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #586 of 3,068
IMO, the main question isn't "how to buy a X9000 at a price lower than the MRSP", but "Is the X9000 worth buying when you already have a SR-009S", that is, "Is the X9000 significantly better than the SR-009S"? People with experience, please let us know!
My thoughts exactly. I'm especially interested in then comparison with 007 (since I personally think it's the superior design).

Dec 17, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #587 of 3,068
If anyone has the CRBN and the X9000, please feel free to compare the two.

I have the CRBN, but had to add another amp to my setup to drive it well. Sounds pretty good. Imaging is decent too. Just one or two songs the HD800S does better when it comes to bass... as in when a certain frequency hits and I have it moderately loud, you can hear a faint amount of distortion out of the CRBN. The faint distortion sounds like the crackle when you put the headphones on, just for a very short duration. Not really ok if they have distortion that my $1500 headphones don't, so probably just going to return them. Only heard it on one track so far: Fugees Killing me Softly at 2:56-3:00/4:58. Other tracks with bass sound distortion free, just a tad less extension of course.

Also, if anyone uses the ifi iESL, how does it work with the X9000? I'd assume with using two AHB2's, I'm getting the lowest possible distortion versus other options as all the amps seem to use transformers on the output stages.

DSC09402.JPG

Dec 17, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #588 of 3,068
Hi everyone, so today the CRBN arrived, exactly one week after my X9K arrived, just like magic! It is waaay too early to share any impressions, mostly because I haven't really had time to do a proper (initial) listening. Until then, just as I did with the X9K I made some pictures of the CRBN from several close-up angles and on the Klutz stands, including some with direct side-by-side comparisons of the X9K. You can just see exactly how large these drivers are compared to the equally very large X9K drivers! I will post this both here and on the CRBN forum because of the comparison shots between the two. Someone let me know if that is not ok..
IMG_1257.JPG
IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG
IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_E1287.JPG
IMG_E1282.JPG
IMG_E1289.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Dec 17, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #589 of 3,068
If anyone has the CRBN and the X9000, please feel free to compare the two.

I have the CRBN, but had to add another amp to my setup to drive it well. Sounds pretty good. Imaging is decent too. Just one or two songs the HD800S does better when it comes to bass... as in when a certain frequency hits and I have it moderately loud, you can hear a faint amount of distortion out of the CRBN. The faint distortion sounds like the crackle when you put the headphones on, just for a very short duration. Not really ok if they have distortion that my $1500 headphones don't, so probably just going to return them. Only heard it on one track so far: Fugees Killing me Softly at 2:56-3:00/4:58. Other tracks with bass sound distortion free, just a tad less extension of course.

Also, if anyone uses the ifi iESL, how does it work with the X9000? I'd assume with using two AHB2's, I'm getting the lowest possible distortion versus other options as all the amps seem to use transformers on the output stages.

I just tried that Fugees Killing me Softly at 2:56-3:00. No distortion on my end with the CRBNs. I'm using the Woo Audio 3ES Elite

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #590 of 3,068
no distortion at all there, as loud as I could go with my lambdas nor 007A on the srm-D10. I really dislike that song ever since it came off though :beerchug:

seeing Elton and etc mentioning the ifi iESL + X9k route here, I can't stand the temptation to go off topic for a bit: is it better than using a SRD-7 (stax or third party)?

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #591 of 3,068
no distortion at all there, as loud as I could go with my lambdas nor 007A on the srm-D10. I really dislike that song ever since it came off though :beerchug:

This song's killing you softly uh :wink:.

Had nothing better to contribute to this thread but really cool pics from @amsync , looking forward to more impressions!

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #592 of 3,068
Not sure if it is better or not as it really depends on the amp(s) you use with it. In my case, a single Benchmark AHB2 would have its clip light come on momentarily when driving the CRBN, so I needed a second one (running them in bridge mode/mono). No clip lights anymore. Some measurements of the AHB2: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-measurements-of-benchmark-ahb2-amp.7628/

The iFi Pro iESL is really nice. Custom hand wound transformers and brand name electrical components. I don't doubt that my setup would compete with any headphone amp at any price as the AHB2's are still the best amps I've seen measurements for. It's also more versatile as I can turn off the iFi iESL and then the amps power my bookshelf speakers in my office. So essentially the amps are powering two different setups.

seeing Elton and etc mentioning the ifi iESL + X9k route here, I can't stand the temptation to go off topic for a bit: is it better than using a SRD-7 (stax or third party)?

ifi_Pro_iESL_3.jpg

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #593 of 3,068
Not sure if it is better or not as it really depends on the amp(s) you use with it. In my case, a single Benchmark AHB2 would have its clip light come on momentarily when driving the CRBN, so I needed a second one (running them in bridge mode/mono). No clip lights anymore. Some measurements of the AHB2: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-measurements-of-benchmark-ahb2-amp.7628/

The iFi Pro iESL is really nice. Custom hand wound transformers and brand name electrical components. I don't doubt that my setup would compete with any headphone amp at any price as the AHB2's are still the best amps I've seen measurements for. It's also more versatile as I can turn off the iFi iESL and then the amps power my bookshelf speakers in my office. So essentially the amps are powering two different setups.

I'm sure you're right about the quality of your setup. The iESL is quite something, and it opens up many possibilities to match with amps of the highest quality. I've owned a wide range of electrostatic phones and drivers, and I find my current combination with the iESL (Moon 430HA) suits my tastes spectacularly well.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #596 of 3,068
Anyone that has ordered the SR-X9000 for a great price, please pm me the details. Looking to purchase one soon, and usually don't like to pay MSRP...
then you might need to wait for another year or 2, i am sure it ends up cheaper if you can enjoy now by paying msrp...

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #597 of 3,068
Same lol. Hoping to hear one at Canjam NYC first though.
you wont be disappointed, its one of the best headphone in the world if not the best.

Dec 19, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #598 of 3,068
IMO, the main question isn't "how to buy a X9000 at a price lower than the MRSP", but "Is the X9000 worth buying when you already have a SR-009S", that is, "Is the X9000 significantly better than the SR-009S"? People with experience, please let us know!
Although I dont own the 009S anymore as i sold my 007mk1 and 009 when I ordered my X9000 to cover the cost, I had AB demo both X9000 and SR009S in show room , and the X9000 is much better in many aspect.
>bigger soundstage (more presist and accurate)
>higher resolution
>more midbass (007Mk1 style but not as much?)
>subbass extended way below then 009
>treble remain largely very similar to 009BK on showroom but the 009 have more spike(on my face effect)
>speed is roughtly the same

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #599 of 3,068
Can I check on how you store your crbn/9000 when not using them?
inside the box with all the package so it looks like brand new, but really any plastic box will do, its better if you buy some dehumidifier jelly pack to put inside the box as well, as i generally find the dryer the diagram is, the better the sound it is.
1639969854138.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back