STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
May 15, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #1,066 of 1,367
I would talk to Nicholas at LTA ( who frequents Head-Fi, but you can also just call LTA ) about the changes they made to the HI jack based on input from owners - I believe it is the same output as the speaker terminals now. So for earlier units they made an adapter for people to use the speaker output but I don't think you need to do that now - just plug your hard to drive phones into the HI jack and go.. then you could use the switch on front - to select your speakers, or your headphones...

The one thing to remember is that the Estat port is on all the time - in speaker or headphone position, so remember to unplug your estats if you are going to plug in dynamic headphones, or use speakers that need to be played at a higher volume level.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #1,067 of 1,367
"as long as the typical open, airiness, speed and detail of the stats are all there" - yes, the sound of the SR-009 that I love for guitar, harp, and those details are still there with the Z10e. As I was writing my (long) comparison above I was listening to Andreas Vollenweider's Eolian Minstrel CD and switched back and forth a few times just to remind myself / see if there was anything I would highlight as differences.

May 15, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #1,068 of 1,367
I would talk to Nicholas at LTA ( who frequents Head-Fi, but you can also just call LTA ) about the changes they made to the HI jack based on input from owners - I believe it is the same output as the speaker terminals now. So for earlier units they made an adapter for people to use the speaker output but I don't think you need to do that now - just plug your hard to drive phones into the HI jack and go.. then you could use the switch on front - to select your speakers, or your headphones...

The one thing to remember is that the Estat port is on all the time - in speaker or headphone position, so remember to unplug your estats if you are going to plug in dynamic headphones, or use speakers that need to be played at a higher volume level.

Ahh, interesting. Sounds much more ideal. I may just reach out, thanks!

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #1,069 of 1,367
Can someone confirm wether the SR-009BK is the same as the 009 or is it the 009S ?

Many thanks!

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #1,071 of 1,367
To tame the sound of Sr1a, I got Schitt Freya in front of Jot R.

Stupid question. Since JOT R doesn't have a PRE-IN, how to do you connect the Schiit Freya to the JOT R ? Where do you control volume ?

Thanks

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #1,072 of 1,367
Had an intermittent noise in my SR009S and sent it back to my dealer and Stax/Japan sent me back a brand new pair...no questions asked. Obviously still covered by warranty but a big *Thank You* for this smooth and hassle free process during covid19 times.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #1,074 of 1,367
How long did it take from NZ to JP to NZ ?
It took 9 weeks but that was down to the fact that no planes were permitted into NZ. Also it takes 3 days from retailer in Auckland to Dunedin in the South Island.

Jun 20, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #1,076 of 1,367
I tried to look up comparisons between SR-007 MK2 and SR-009S but still can’t decide. Is the SR-009S a worthy upgrade or is there any point for someone to own both? Thanks.
Owned both for a long time and eventually sold the 007 last week as I preferred the clarity of the 009S.
In direct comparison in my system the 007 has more body/bass but still...the 009S has that technical superiority that’s hard to beat.

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #1,077 of 1,367
Susvara MSRP is 6K but no one (I hope) is paying that, you can easily find them new for +/- $3700. As a former 009 + BHSE owner a well amped Susvara edges out electrostats for me mainly due to bass difference. Though I know many prefer Carbon over BHSE so maybe that bridges the bass gap vs planar but ultimately I think Susvara couples a lot of the Stax sound appeal w/ a more textured and visceral planar bass.

The Susvara costs $3500- not $6,000. JUST SHOP AROUND... The Susvara is the most similar planner to the SR-009 by far. I own the TC and LCD-4 as well. The Susvara is not classic sounding planner like the other two. It is airy and etherial very much (but not exactly) like electrostatics but with more bass, weigh, and texture. The TC and LCD-4 are more forward with more solidity and flesh to the sound in the classic planner tradition. I would say the Susvara sound is hybrid electrostatic/planner. To my ears it's round 70% electrostatic in it's presentation and 30% planner style sound.

I owned a BHSE and SR-009 and sold it. The detail was truly incredible but not enough weight to the sound for modern music.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #1,078 of 1,367
I tried to look up comparisons between SR-007 MK2 and SR-009S but still can’t decide. Is the SR-009S a worthy upgrade or is there any point for someone to own both? Thanks.

Yes, I could indeed see a few points to own both :relaxed:

The 007 has a - for my ears - somewhat “darker” sound, but still has very much this STAX Magic. I’m using the 007 in my second system (office & PC-Monitoring) where I do most of my digitizing work and listen occasionally to some rather "Low-Fi" download stuff. Here I don’t need the absolute top-class revealing and transparent sound of the 009S; the 009S is used predominantly in my “high-end” system, where I listen mainly to analogue sources.

Both 007 and 009S are driven by Tube Amps.: the 007 with the German MalValve Headamp three, the 009S with the (also German made) SOLARIS. Both amps can also be used for dynamic / magneto static phones, btw.

One further reason for me to use the 007 as a "working tool" is the no-frills headband and slightly more comfy ear-pads – just my very personal opinion – other will disagree…

Regards

Urs

For comparisons I suggest you have to listen to both models, preferably with your own source equipment – to put any relevant differences in words is difficult, and very much matter of taste

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sta...with-impressions.877870/page-45#post-14601546

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #1,080 of 1,367
964C33F9-0D9F-4A47-8766-25A71663036D_1_201_a.jpeg

very impressed with it's tone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back