Stax SR-009 and T2 successors confirmed for spring 2017
Dec 25, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #33 of 256
Ahh, another megabuck headphone to drool over and keep the brand on enthusiasts' agenda. When there is very little technical evolution going on, price is the only thing that increases.

Dec 25, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #34 of 256
You're the customer, you can vote with your wallet.

Also, all I've seen in this thread is speculation. There was not even a proper translation of the article, and no mention of sr010 in it afaik...

Arnaud

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #35 of 256
I wouldn't jump on the hype train. Both the SR-009 and 007 are some of the greatest headphones available today.

Hard to imagine how much better can you get.

Are they going to attack the New Orpheus, which isn't a "killer of them all", as some people say? Will 009 be declassed? Don't think so.

Nothing can declass these headphones. As you even see, older & vintage Stax are still used & wanted. Because many of them offer unique SQ, they have their own soul. 

What can we expect? Probably another great Stax to add to the collection, switching between 009, 007 and "010" depending on the mood. 

And by the way: maybe Stax would be better off if they focused not on the high-end models (as 009 is high-end enough), but on popularising the electrostatic technology within the general public? 

I would be happy to see an "urban" closed model of Stax, for normal people, who buy Beats and listen to them on the metro train. I would even buy it myself. Baby Stax (SR-002) isn't a solution, since it's open, a great headphone nevertheless. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #39 of 256
  Sorry,  I'm talking about HD800 successor

HD800S. 
tongue.gif

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #41 of 256
  That's a sidegrade.....   

Reminds me of this video...

Not in anyway a side grade. I found the HD800's brightness too much for many albums in my catalog...and the bass too lite. The HD800S eliminates the 6kHz resonance that allowed me to revist so much of my many treasured albums and the add heft to the bass gave many other recordings a new life. So while these changes weren't "profound" in the end, they allowed me to fully enjoy Sennheiser's flagship that I never could before. And in the end was much more than a side grade. 

Oh, and Sennheiser is a German company...I don't think they speak Spanish. 
wink.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #42 of 256
  I wouldn't jump on the hype train. Both the SR-009 and 007 are some of the greatest headphones available today.

Hard to imagine how much better can you get.

Are they going to attack the New Orpheus, which isn't a "killer of them all", as some people say? Will 009 be declassed? Don't think so.

Nothing can declass these headphones. As you even see, older & vintage Stax are still used & wanted. Because many of them offer unique SQ, they have their own soul. 

What can we expect? Probably another great Stax to add to the collection, switching between 009, 007 and "010" depending on the mood. 

And by the way: maybe Stax would be better off if they focused not on the high-end models (as 009 is high-end enough), but on popularising the electrostatic technology within the general public? 

I would be happy to see an "urban" closed model of Stax, for normal people, who buy Beats and listen to them on the metro train. I would even buy it myself. Baby Stax (SR-002) isn't a solution, since it's open, a great headphone nevertheless. 

IMO Electrostatics are too fragile and dust averse to really be a fully portable HP system.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #43 of 256

IMO Electrostatics are too fragile and dust averse to really be a fully portable HP system.

There's always the Shure KSE1500. Closed, electrostatic and fully portable. (Just not STAX. heh...)

Anyway, as far as I know, STAX is still a small company with barely over a dozen people, so they wouldn't be able to do mainstream mass production.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #45 of 256

I wouldn't agree with that...IMO the Stax portables (e.g. SRM002) are lots of fun!
It's the portable amp and not the earspeakers that presents the challenge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back