Stax Sigma Low Bais and Stax Sigma Pros
Jul 20, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #301 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah that's the idea. The Sigma Pro has always been kind of blah for me but the Signature drivers work much better in the Lambda housing.

Speaking off Lambda's, I'm going to send off one tomorrow for some woody experimentation which might be very interesting indeed...

Btw. Why did they use the 404 earpads on the Sigma housing? They don't fit and do more damage then good to the sound...
confused.gif

I did that, not Yamasinc. A better fit to the head IMHO. When they wear out, I'll replace them with the original Sigma pads. What damage do they do to the sound?

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #302 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of experimentation?

Replace the crappy plastic cage with a wooden shell that clamps the driver. The Lambda baffle is nice aluminum but it isn't enough to secure the driver properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did that, not Yamasinc. A better fit to the head IMHO. When they wear out, I'll replace them with the original Sigma pads. What damage do they do to the sound?

Ahhh ok. The modded Sigma's done by Stax in Japan also had Sigma pads so I didn't see what Yama's was up to.

The Lambda pads mess up the soundstage, making it even more diffuse then it should be. It's always a personal preference though.

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #303 of 482
Quote:

Replace the crappy plastic cage with a wooden shell that clamps the driver. The Lambda baffle is nice aluminum but it isn't enough to secure the driver properly.

So it would be a wooden housing with wire mesh attached to it? Forgive my poor drawing skills, somethings like this?

Lambda.jpg

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #304 of 482
Something like that yes. I'm not sure if the wire is necessary as I want the housing to be as thin as possible to minimize the "tunnel effect" found on the SR-X. What you drew is similar to the HE90 covering and that could be done but well just have to see. The main issue is to control all unwanted reflections and that doesn't leave a lot of room to work with.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #307 of 482
Quote:

Yup though completely flat. The top of the housing shouldn't be more then 10mm above the back of the driver and preferably a lot less.

Interesting, when is this creation due to see the light of day? I am very curious to see it.

By the way I like LNS a lot
redface.gif
as I was reading the impressions I thought I might like the polite and flat sound and I do. What other Stax headphones have this signature, something in between LNS, SR-Sigma and ESP950 would be ideal for me
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #308 of 482
Quote:

Interesting, when is this creation due to see the light of day? I am very curious to see it.

It will take some time as I just sent out the Lambda today. This has been on my to-do list for years so there is no time pressure but it will be a fun experiment.

Quote:

By the way I like LNS a lot
redface.gif
as I was reading the impressions I thought I might like the polite and flat sound and I do. What other Stax headphones have this signature, something in between LNS, SR-Sigma and ESP950 would be ideal for me
biggrin.gif

SR-007...
tongue.gif
They have this laid back sound which very engaging at the same time, the rock ability of the ESP/950 and while a smaller soundstage then the Sigma, not at all less impressive. C'mon... you know you want to...
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #309 of 482
Quote:

SR-007...
tongue.gif
They have this laid back sound which very engaging at the same time, the rock ability of the ESP/950 and while a smaller soundstage then the Sigma, not at all less impressive. C'mon... you know you want to...
biggrin.gif

d00d stop it
tongue.gif
I can't spend 1.4K on one pair of headphones. Maybe in some distant future this day will come and I will sell all of my Stax for SR-007, but I want to hear one first. The smaller soundstage is what makes me nervous, I like good imaging but I like the frontal projection of Sigma LOT
cool.gif

Funny how I am alone in that I like LNS, of all the Lambda frames that I have I think it's the most balanced sound wise. Very accurate and extended, but without aggressiveness of my SR-303 and mellowness of SR-Lambda.

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #310 of 482
Quote:

d00d stop it
tongue.gif
I can't spend 1.4K on one pair of headphones. Maybe in some distant future this day will come and I will sell all of my Stax for SR-007, but I want to hear one first. The smaller soundstage is what makes me nervous, I like good imaging but I like the frontal projection of Sigma LOT
cool.gif

Well it's no 9k$ for a HE90 and a SR-007 can be found for less then 1k$ in Japan if you are lucky. It is a must hear phone though but they really combine all what Stax has been doing for the last 30 years in one package.

The soundstage is indeed smaller then something like the Sigma but it's far away more controlled and it has depth which the Sigma 404 only hints at.

Quote:

Funny how I am alone in that I like LNS, of all the Lambda frames that I have I think it's the most balanced sound wise. Very accurate and extended, but without aggressiveness of my SR-303 and mellowness of SR-Lambda.

Have you heard the older Lambda Signature? If not then that's the reason I don't like the LNS and you do.
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #311 of 482
Quote:

Have you heard the older Lambda Signature? If not then that's the reason I don't like the LNS and you do.
wink.gif

I did, although very briefly, together with Lambda Pro out of T1. Both are not my cup of tea, I like LNS better
biggrin.gif

Original Signature and Pro both had very aggressive upper mids for me and sounded a bit thin.

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #312 of 482
Quote:

I did, although very briefly, together with Lambda Pro out of T1. Both are not my cup of tea, I like LNS better
biggrin.gif

Fair enough. One thing to add about the woody Lambda, it's a Nova Classic that is the prototype...
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #313 of 482
Quote:

Fair enough. One thing to add about the woody Lambda, it's a Nova Classic that is the prototype...
wink.gif

Now that makes things very interesting for me
cool.gif
Does NC sound almost like NS?

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #314 of 482
Quote:

You're not alone - gimme your hands.......sorry!
Wes Phillips liked the LNS better than the Signatures and the 404 -he did 2 reviews - one in Stereophile
Stereophile: Stax Lambda Nova Signature electrostatic ear-speaker
and the other in onhifi
onhifi.com -- Hot Product Archives -- Stax SRS-4040 Signature System II

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #315 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not alone - gimme your hands.......sorry!
Wes Phillips liked the LNS better than the Signatures and the 404 -he did 2 reviews - one in Stereophile
Stereophile: Stax Lambda Nova Signature electrostatic ear-speaker
and the other in onhifi
onhifi.com -- Hot Product Archives -- Stax SRS-4040 Signature System II

Oh great, I am in the company of Wes "HD600 lover" Phillips
biggrin.gif
Oh Boy. I take it all back
smily_headphones1.gif
and anyhow I like my Sigma and ESP950 the best
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back