Stax Sigma Low Bais and Stax Sigma Pros
Jul 17, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #287 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much is it to have this done for Stax in Japan or by Yama in US?

I sent Yamasinc a broken low bias Sigma and they turned it into a Sigma/404 for about $500.00. This did not include the broken arc assemby (headband) that I also had to replace and which was extra. Obviously you would need a new estimate from them.

Incidently the Sigma arc assembly is no longer avaialable but Yamasinc was able to use an older lambda band.

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #288 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent Yamasinc a broken low bias Sigma and they turned it into a Sigma/404 for about $500.00. This did not include the broken arc assemby (headband) that I also had to replace and which was extra. Obviously you would need a new estimate from them.

Incidently the Sigma arc assembly is no longer avaialable but Yamasinc was able to use an older lambda band.

Ouch!!! Scrapping a new SR-404 for parts looks cheap compared to this...
frown.gif

I'm sure there are many versions of Sigma's out there due to the Stax policy of replacing with new drivers should anything go wrong.

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #289 of 482
i just replaced the cable on my sigma and it was quite a pain, as i didnt have any suitable crimps, and there were some kind of mysterious resistor on the old cable
smily_headphones1.gif
in the end, i just took the crimp and resistor part of the old cable and connected it to the new one.

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #290 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just replaced the cable on my sigma and it was quite a pain, as i didnt have any suitable crimps, and there were some kind of mysterious resistor on the old cable
smily_headphones1.gif
in the end, i just took the crimp and resistor part of the old cable and connected it to the new one.

Just solder to the connectors as those old crimp connectors are nasty to say the least. Though since you've already done it leave the drivers well alone as you can rip them apart by pulling on the crimp connectors.

Those are diodes and are a protection circuit for the drivers. If the voltage on the stators gets too high then the phones can arc, not that the diodes will stop it every time...
frown.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #291 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch!!! Scrapping a new SR-404 for parts looks cheap compared to this...
frown.gif

This was no bargain but it would be no cheaper to scrap a 404. The current US price for the 404 is $579.00. The 404 Japanese imports are about $450.00.

Anyway Yamasinc did a good job for me.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #292 of 482
Quote:

This was no bargain but it would be no cheaper to scrap a 404. The current US price for the 404 is $579.00. The 404 Japanese imports are about $450.00.

Anyway Yamasinc did a good job for me.

Very true but using a SR-404 as a donor phone will get you a very nice normal bias Lambda if the original Sigma drivers were still working. It should be clear though that these conversions aren't cheap...
frown.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #293 of 482
Quote:

Very true but using a SR-404 as a donor phone will get you a very nice normal bias Lambda if the original Sigma drivers were still working. It should be clear though that these conversions aren't cheap...
frown.gif

Good point about getting 2 phones out of the deal. However not all of us feel able to make such modifications ourselves.

Jul 20, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #294 of 482
Quote:

Incidently the Sigma arc assembly is no longer available but Yamasinc was able to use an older lambda band.

From memory, that is what I paid for my conversion also - worth every cent and more baby!

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #295 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From memory, that is what I paid for my conversion also - worth every cent and more baby!

The going rate for a Sigma Pro is around 800$ if you can find one and it doesn't even come close to the 404 drivers. Now I have this crazy idea to convert a Sigma Pro as a Lambda Signature in a SR-404 frame would be something very interesting indeed.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #296 of 482
Quote:

The going rate for a Sigma Pro is around 800$ if you can find one and it doesn't even come close to the 404 drivers. Now I have this crazy idea to convert a Sigma Pro as a Lambda Signature in a SR-404 frame would be something very interesting indeed.

Does the Sigma pro use the Lambda Signature drivers?

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #298 of 482
Quote:

Birgir, do you mean swap the drivers between a 404 and a Sigma Pro? The resulting upgraded Lambda Signature should sound better (the 404 has better cabling and a better headband that allows tighter sealing around the ears). And you get the 404/Sigma Pro hybrid (mine was a Sigma that had 404 drivers, ear pads and cabling implanted - still has the original Sigma arc assembly however). Ed says the 404 hybrid is better than the Sigma Pro.

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #299 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Birgir, do you mean swap the drivers between a 404 and a Sigma Pro? The resulting upgraded Lambda Signature should sound better (the 404 has better cabling and a better headband that allows tighter sealing around the ears). And you get the 404/Sigma Pro hybrid (mine was a Sigma that had 404 drivers, ear pads and cabling implanted - still has the original Sigma arc assembly however). Ed says the 404 hybrid is better than the Sigma Pro.

Yeah that's the idea. The Sigma Pro has always been kind of blah for me but the Signature drivers work much better in the Lambda housing.

Speaking off Lambda's, I'm going to send off one tomorrow for some woody experimentation which might be very interesting indeed...

Btw. Why did they use the 404 earpads on the Sigma housing? They don't fit and do more damage then good to the sound...
confused.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #300 of 482
Quote:

Speaking off Lambda's, I'm going to send off one tomorrow for some woody experimentation which might be very interesting indeed...

What kind of experimentation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back