STAX 4070's are in the house..... (pics)
Mar 5, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #16 of 70
What group buy?
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #17 of 70
Per the OP first 10 words...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to Voltron for setting up a group buy, and thanks to Todd (the vinyl Junkie) for getting my pair out soon.

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #18 of 70
So I guess I should edit my first post.

First rule of a private small group buy: don't talk about the group buy.

I think that if you are interested in the 4070's, contact Todd (we all know he is a great guy), and talk to him about it. If you are looking for cheeper buy, it is via import.

Okay back to the sound:

Thanks for the welcomes into the 4070 club.... seems like a good place to be.

The more I listened last night the more I am really liking the sound of the 4070's. I still feel the O2's are a step above, and are more musical. But there is an inner detail that the 4070's have that is really intoxicating on high resolution (minimal) recordings. Maybe it is an effect of the isolation, but I seem to be able to hear further into the instruments themselves. The vibration of the string against the fret, the spit in the horn, the drumstick hitting the edge of the drum as well as the drum head (not just a single sound), the decay of the note in the air. Kind of spooky stuff, and not something you normaly listen for when you hear an instrument live, but the 4070's do draw me in that way.

Yeah, the O2's seem to have deeper bass extention, and present a huge soundstage. But the 4070, after one night of listening, are becoming a go to can for a lot of good reasons.

Cheers,

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #19 of 70
Quote:

I think that if you are interested in the 4070's, contact Todd (we all know he is a great guy), and talk to him about it. If you are looking for cheeper buy, it is via import.

Indeed, AudioCubes II sells the 4070 for $1,375 shipped to the USA: Audio Cubes II - High Fidelity Audio Products

You've gotta love the exports on AudioCubes II!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #20 of 70
I want one. My wife has been complaining non stop on the noise coming from my Big O when I listen at night. Must resist.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #21 of 70
Quote:

...But there is an inner detail that the 4070's have that is really intoxicating on high resolution (minimal) recordings. Maybe it is an effect of the isolation, but I seem to be able to hear further into the instruments themselves. The vibration of the string against the fret, the spit in the horn, the drumstick hitting the edge of the drum as well as the drum head (not just a single sound), the decay of the note in the air. Kind of spooky stuff, and not something you normaly listen for when you hear an instrument live, but the 4070's do draw me in that way...

Now THAT'S detail. Thanks for sharing your impressions and the photos -- they are a good looking set of phones.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #22 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want one. My wife has been complaining non stop on the noise coming from my Big O when I listen at night. Must resist.

I'm only guessing here, but addressing the noise issue for your wife by totally blocking out all noise (and her) with 4070s is just shifting the problem from one end of the spectrum to another.
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #23 of 70
Mikey, doesn't seem that long ago that we were listening to the O2 vs 4070 at the San Jose National. Congrats for having both less than a year latter. It sounds like the 4070s are starting to grow on you. Have you tried it on your Stax amp? Voltron seemed to like it on the 007tt at Mayberry. When I listened to it on your ES-1, I thought it was very balanced and details galore. Not as much fun as the O2 to me but like Santa said, a great can for top drawer recordings. That is the classic audiophile dilemma after all. Details vs. fluidity. That's one of the great things about headphones. For under $3k, you can have both!
Keep us posted as they burn in.

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #24 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now THAT'S detail. Thanks for sharing your impressions and the photos -- they are a good looking set of phones.

I suspect that's a minority opinion. I think they look like two cinder blocks strapped to my ears, but I like the way they sound.

Mar 6, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #26 of 70
Cheers Ironbut, after another long night of listening, I can say that I am liking them even more. It really makes no major errors at this point. If there are any sins they are sins of ommision not addition.

Cheers,

Mar 6, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #27 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect that's a minority opinion. I think they look like two cinder blocks strapped to my ears, but I like the way they sound.

It's obvious you haven't spent much time with Stax Sigmas strapped to the head...
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #28 of 70
I think the TakeT, while sounding quite good with most music, ties the record with the Floats for fugliness.
The 4070 reminds me more of a '70's studio can, like the Pro4AA's.
Except for their lack of aggression, they are a nice headphone as long as you have air conditioning.
I really enjoyed them in the wee hours at the Mayberry on Acid meet, which I assume was the selling period for Mikey.

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #29 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except for their lack of aggression, they are a nice headphone as long as you have air conditioning.

They are "nice" for those without air conditioning as well.
I don't have air conditioning (well, I don't miss it either), but still LOVE the 4070...
cool.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #30 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Purk, it sounds like it's time for you to get HER a 4070 (with exclusive lending rights afforded your way)

Congrats to to Mikeymad on the 4070, I will eventually get another 4070 or Omega down the road sometime, glad to see you enjoying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back