Starter DAC + amp setup help
Sep 3, 2009 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

seraphjei

100+ Head-Fier
I know, I know, there are quite a few threads like this, but hear me out on this one. I'm just busting out onto the audiophile scene.

I have a few entry level headphones. But I realize that headphones by themselves can only do so much. So I thought the logical next step was really give my headphones the best setup possible, to really bring out their maximum potential. I have a Alessandro MS-2, and a Beyerdynamic DT770, 80ohm.

So basically my question boils down to this.

I plan on setting up two rigs. One for my laptop, and one for my desktop. I understand that the order usually goes.
Source -> DAC -> Amp -> Cans
or
Source ->DAC/AMP -> Cans

I'm looking for a rig that can really help bring out both of my headphones. I've been looking at a few contenders, and the Zero DAC/Amp combo really caught my eye and is around my budget of $100-$200. Is it possible to use the Zero as a DAC and amp simultaneously (I bet the answer for this one is obvious, but better safe than sorry), and also can I power it with something simple like a USB cable?

If anyone is curious, I use either foobar, or KMPlayer with WASAPI as my media player of choice. My laptop is fairly stock, and so is my desktop. No special sound card.

For instance, I plan on buying a STAX amp and Headphone combo when I become more experienced but I simply don't understand how to hook up the Stax rig, to my laptop, and computer.

Plugging in a USB into my computer is quite an easy task, but when it comes down to it, I don't understand where RCA, coaxial, or optical inputs and outputs fit in the bigger picture of things (i.e. where do they plug into the computer?) Perhaps buying a new sound card is in order?

So to make things easier, can someone direct me to a thread, or some sort of guide about beginner set ups for computer sound systems from scratch?

Thanks again! I'm asking a lot, I hope it isn't to presumptuous of me.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 8
Depending on your computer, you have a USB and/or optical out. On the PC side of things, with a normal basic sound card, you'll probably just have a usb out.

The usb then connects to the DAC/Amp. The DAC/Amp is combined in to one unit, especially at your price point.

Out of the DAC/Amp there may be a headphone out, usually on the front of the unit. That is where you plug in your cans for the new amped up sound out of the computer.

Also, depending on the DAC unit, there may be outs for coax, optical, RCA plugs. These go into another unit, such as your stereo. If you have a basic stereo/receiver it will have inputs using RCA jacks. You then plug the RCA jacks into an unused input. In my setup I used the tape input. Then set the stereo to that input and voila! music.

Another completely different alternative, one that I don't know much about, is to upgrade your soundcard. For the above scenario, you don't need to bother changing your soundcard as you are routing around it with the usb out. But, there are soundcard with optical outs that allow you, I believe, to bypass the DAC and plug directly into the receiver. When I overhauled my system this spring I used an older desktop so it didn't make sense to upgrade to a soundcard that may not have worked very well in an older desktop.

I set up my home stereo receiver with a Fubar DAC/Amp. It doesn't have a headphone out (I didn't need one), although other Fubar models do. Also, there are any number of other DAC/amp/headphone outfits, depending on how portable you want to be, power sources (wall or internal battery) and flexibility. The iBAsso D10 is a good portable combination.

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 8
The iBasso D10 looks great for my needs. Laptop -> D10 ->MS2s should theoretically work right?

But the price for the D10 is a bit above my range. The D2 however looks just as good. How is the D2 look for driving a pair of MS2s, or DT770s?

After 2 minutes of research I realized that the D2s uses a 3.5mm jack. Boo. Are there any other recommendations for an amp/DAC combo under 200 dollars that can really bring my Alessandros to life? I've heard that tubes tend to have great synergy with Grado cans. But I'm not sure if there are any good DAC/amp combos in my price range when it comes to tubes. But in my price range maybe a E-MU 0404?

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 8
There's the HeadDirect/Hifiman EF2, which is about $200 which looks promising. Going by HeadphoneAddicts review, the DAC is very basic, and USB only, but you can't argue with it at the price.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 8
X2 on both. HeadDirect and Headroom (Total Bithead) are both reputable sellers with good products. Headroom especially has great customer service.

I don't know anything about a E-MU0404.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 8
How's the gamma-1 perform as a starter DAC? I've got a Pa2v2 amp and Alessandro MS-1i cans. Would the gamma-1 usb DAC be a good start for me?

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 8
The gamma-1 is a great dac for the price, a pretty good step up from the 270X based DAC's. If you build, or get it built in its "unseparated" form and use the BOX enclosure, you can add the gamma-2 later and end up with a phenomenal DAC for not a lot more money. The gamma-1/2 combo is going to be a giant killer I think. (I built one of the proto's) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back